Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip planning help - Dakotas and Minnesota National Parks

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-
The time of year has come for us to plan our July camping trip. We've been visiting National Parks, and have decided we want to visit Bad Lands, Wind Cave, Theodore Roosevelt and Voyageur National Parks during the first 2 weeks of July (yes we know it's busy then, we've been doing this time frame for 12+ years ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

I'm hoping to find a nice campground in between Bad Lands and Wind Cave so we can visit those parks from one base camp. Then I'll need a nice CG near each of the other 2 parks. We'll have 16 days for this trip.

We need full hookups at each CG and prefer to have pools at each as well. Any help is appreciated!

FYI we've been to most of the other National Parks close to these already, so we won't need to check those out.

We're looking for awesome CGs and things to do in those areas. We usually limit day trips to about 1 - 1 1/2 hours from camp. Thanks in advance!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
19 REPLIES 19

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:
Custer's Gulch, which is Just outside Custer, is where we stayed and we loved it as every trip provided great Landscapes and made each day even better. So Yes Custer is IMHO the Center of it all.

Once again, I could not agree with Busskipper more. Custer's Gulch is right where I would go back.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
The town of Custer is right in the heart of it and we spent 4 days there last summer. Wind Caves is just south, Custer State Park is just east and Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse is just North.

Custer's Gulch, which is Just outside Custer, is where we stayed and we loved it as every trip provided great Landscapes and made each day even better. So Yes Custer is IMHO the Center of it all.

---------
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
FYI, while at Wind Cave, drive the back roads. There is much more to that park than the cave. You will see bison (100%, no cattle DNA), pronghorns, and very possibly elk. Also there won't be traffic jams to see them like in Yellowstone.
We agree on that back road. We drove through several herds of bison along the road and we were the only vehicle in sight.

A couple of places we had cows and calves right in the borrow ditch along the road not more than 6-8' from the truck. We DID NOT STOP in those places, but did stop a safe distance away a couple of times for photos (from the truck!). The most interesting sight was seeing bison rolling around in the dirt taking dust baths just like you see on TV.

You can also see bison in Custer SP, but usually farther away and always with a crowd of other vehicles and people (more like Yellowstone). This herd is not purebred and excess animals are auctioned off every fall.

X3 on this. Great experience, and not a single other vehicle in sight!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
The town of Custer is right in the heart of it and we spent 4 days there last summer. Wind Caves is just south, Custer State Park is just east and Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse is just North.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Northern MN for 25 years. Unless you have a decent boat you are pulling with you, I would pass on Voyageurs NP. It is almost solely water-based and there aren't any top notch RV campgrounds in the immediate vicinity.

Instead, travel to the north shore of Lake Superior, which is chock-a-block with 8 beautiful state parks, lots of great waterfalls, Superior National Forest, Grand Portage Natl. Monument (so you can still visit an NPS area!) Lots of state park, USFS and private campgrounds but best to get a reservation early. Burlington Bay CG (Two Harbors, Mn) and Grand Marais CG are town operated rv campgrounds right on lLake Superior.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
FYI, while at Wind Cave, drive the back roads. There is much more to that park than the cave. You will see bison (100%, no cattle DNA), pronghorns, and very possibly elk. Also there won't be traffic jams to see them like in Yellowstone.
We agree on that back road. We drove through several herds of bison along the road and we were the only vehicle in sight.

A couple of places we had cows and calves right in the borrow ditch along the road not more than 6-8' from the truck. We DID NOT STOP in those places, but did stop a safe distance away a couple of times for photos (from the truck!). The most interesting sight was seeing bison rolling around in the dirt taking dust baths just like you see on TV.

You can also see bison in Custer SP, but usually farther away and always with a crowd of other vehicles and people (more like Yellowstone). This herd is not purebred and excess animals are auctioned off every fall.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Angostura might be a good spot to do both Wind Cave and Badlands NPs. There is a nice RV park in Wall which is 10 minutes from Badlands, and Custer SP would be a very good one to see Wind Cave from, plus it will get you much closer to Mount Rushmore NM. There is a campground in Wind Cave, but sites are small, and there are no hookups or dump. It is very quiet and peaceful.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
I second the idea of the Lake Angostura area at the south end of the Black Hills. Didn't camp there, but we had a lovely time visiting there.

Voyageurs is pretty remote, and I am not too familiar with the actual Voyaguers area because we don't usually go quite that far north and haven't been there, but this place is right on Lake Kabetogama about a mile from the Voyageurs Visitor Center. It looks like a nice place, though a little on the spendy side...

Pines of Kabetogama

You could also take a look at this place:

Voyageurs Sunrise Resort

We stayed two nights at the Medora Campground when we visited TRNP. It's OK. A little tight and packed in. Our site had a beautiful view of the ridge. I don't think we were able to put out our awning. Sites are packed dirt so could be really muddy if it rained (we were lucky...) Suprisingly enough, there isn't much for campgrounds in that immediate area.

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
I agree... Rafter J, in Hill City, SD is a nice park! There sure is a lot to do in that area too.
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to add this link to my brief trip report about my 2017 Badlands, Black Hills and Solar Eclipse trip. You might find something in it worth considering or visiting.

Badlands, Black Hills, and Solar Eclipse trip, 2017.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, youโ€™ve all come though again! Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep emโ€™ coming ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
The Rafter J in Hill City is a very nice, full-service campground. Campgrounds in Custer State Park are also very nice but mostly just electric hookups.

In ND near Theodore Roosevelt National Park your best bet is probably the Medora Campground. It's not what you would call first class but we've found the full hookups work well. The city swimming pool is a couple blocks away on the road into the campground. The campgrounds in the park (Cottonwood in the south unit; Juniper in the north unit) are primitive only, no hookups.

If you have specific questions about TRNP, Medora, or other parts of ND please feel free to PM me.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
A little out of the way, and not National, but rather City owned, Spearfish has a nice campground right in the edge of town. Wonderful location and great place to base out of.

https://www.cityofspearfish.com/departments/city_campground/index.php

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park, we stayed at Red Trail Campground, tight sites but nice park.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187