cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened to this forum?

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
This use to be such an active forum with lots of people exchanging tips on making it to winter destinations, etc. What happened?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog
48 REPLIES 48

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I used to come to the "snowbird" section;
Comments like "new members attitude" and "snarky comments by new members" are symptoms of the possible actual problem.
The idea of helping members with RV snowbird problems is where the focus should be.
I know even though I quit coming to the snowbird section, I still visit other areas and help where I can and of course I glean as much of the helpful information as I can.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Heading North in the Morning.There are only 3 others that I know of that have not yet headed north. We are an ownership park so we probably have about 60 that stay year around now. Many of the year arounders are in houses. Our park has RVs, Park Models, Mobile Homes and Houses. 424 lots. 2 miles from Mexico and the Rio Grande. Palmview Texas.
pawatt

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. If you've been doing this for some time then I guess it's awful difficult to see it unless your timing is just right.

I can't recall ever seeing the actual words "do a search."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Parrothead Mike wrote:
I also cringe when I see someone reply "do a search" on whatever topic someone is asking about.
When was the last time you saw that?

Today. I deleted it. Not uncommon at all.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
I also cringe when I see someone reply "do a search" on whatever topic someone is asking about.
When was the last time you saw that?

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I used to visit RV.net and the Snowbirds forum more often. The reason for my reduced visits is likely due to finding my favorite park and signing up for 4+/- months every winter. I haven't found a reason to search out a new winter home for our RV. I have also tried to share information that might be helpful, but my knowledge of other parks (in Florida for me) is limited.

I also cringe when I see someone reply "do a search" on whatever topic someone is asking about. It's not appropriate for me to correct the poster about his/her comment. That's something a moderator might address when or if necessary. I have used the search feature on occasion, but a newbie really wants honest, helpful replies to their question(s).

I'm still a desk top or lap top user. No smart phone for me thank you. More and more people are using social media to get their information. There are a lot of snowbirds these days, but many of the former forum members are getting older (yeah, I said it) and just aren't snowbirding anymore. Thus, they aren't here.

Also, I know that in Florida snowbird parks are being bought up by large corporations. Not many mom & pop operations anymore. The park where we spend our winters, Rock Crusher in Crystal River, was purchased by Sun Corp. about 3 years ago. They've also purchased other private parks around central Florida. Not sure if this consolidation is good for the snowbird consumer.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I like this forum but it naturally slows down in the spring and summer. I wish it would stay more active about what we did last winter and what we intend for next winter!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze wrote:
One of the turnoffs for me on any forum is when someone replies "search the archives". To me if you don't want to take a minute to help someone out why post at all? :?
Another turnoff is when the OP asks advice and never returns. You can't take a minute to thank people?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
....snip..... I learned a long time ago you have to have thick skin to post on a forum.

True, and as others learn that, they wander away. A sense of anonymity has a weird effect on people.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the new members are rude and get mad when people don't agree with thier incorrect information or they are abusive to older member's. Example look at what happened to Dutchman sport. So a lot of older members give up posting. So to put all the blame on established members is wrong. I learned a long time ago you have to have thick skin to post on a forum.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe wrote:
Everything is going good! I usually come here when I need some help with a problem.

I was going to take up boxing, but my Dr. told me to get back posting on RV.NET I can get beat up while I setting in my chair.
So big a world, so little time to see.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
X2

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reasons are now obvious. The question should be, what can we do to help.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The forums have become like asking directions when traveling. Some will ask you why you need to go there in the first place, while others will give directions that are wrong but they think they are "being helpful". A few will say, "Get a map" or "Use your GPS". A very few will admit that they don't know and a tiny percentage will give clear and concise directions. We used to share information and learn. The first time someone tells you that your destination is "just past the gas station" and there is no gas station, you will understand what I am saying.

(Do NOT challenge the directions or you will find yourself under attack.)