cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Rim Campground with Pets

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to camp in a 5th wheel at the North Rim Campground of Grand Canyon in July. Has anyone camped there in the summer with a pet? I know there are no hookups and I'm concerned with the temperatures during the day for them (not us) since they will be in the RV. Thank you!
36 REPLIES 36

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Well, I think it is two-fold:

1. Dogs were allowed more places because there were fewer being brought along, so folks weren't leaving then unattended in RVs.

2. People were less likely to consider dogs in regards to heat, etc. So if they did take them, they would have likely left them in the vehicle with the windows rolled down while they went sightseeing. Not unheard of in those days to see a dog left in a car for several hours at anytime of year.

Thanks. We made reservations first part of July for 3 nights at North Rim Campground. So looking forward to it. Now if we can just ensure our national parks will all be up and running. GRRRRR!!!!!

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
AC was not really mainstream until the late 60's. How did they camp back then? Just saying.

Understand. I'm not concerned about the AC for humans; more for my pets since they may be in the RV without us during the day. I grew up in FL. We didn't have AC when I was a kid nor did my elementary school. Of course, it seems hotter in the summers these days. ๐Ÿ™‚

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I think it is two-fold:

1. Dogs were allowed more places because there were fewer being brought along, so folks weren't leaving then unattended in RVs.

2. People were less likely to consider dogs in regards to heat, etc. So if they did take them, they would have likely left them in the vehicle with the windows rolled down while they went sightseeing. Not unheard of in those days to see a dog left in a car for several hours at anytime of year.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
AC was not really mainstream until the late 60's. How did they camp back then? Just saying.

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We are going in the summer (July).

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
Stewart123 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Stewart123 wrote:
avoidcrowds - thanks so much for that concise and helpful information. We have a dog and a cat. I checked the Forest Service campground but think North Rim will work best for us. Now, if we can just get the dang shutdown to end! I'm very concerned for our national parks from what I've been reading on some of them getting trashed by "supposed lovers of the parks and nature." Surely, everything will be up and running soon! Fingers crossed.

The North Rim is closed until they clear the roads of snow. Usually in May

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Stewart123 wrote:
avoidcrowds - thanks so much for that concise and helpful information. We have a dog and a cat. I checked the Forest Service campground but think North Rim will work best for us. Now, if we can just get the dang shutdown to end! I'm very concerned for our national parks from what I've been reading on some of them getting trashed by "supposed lovers of the parks and nature." Surely, everything will be up and running soon! Fingers crossed.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stewart123 wrote:

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
THank you for this great information.

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
Stewart123 wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Stewart123 wrote:
We plan to camp in a 5th wheel at the North Rim Campground of Grand Canyon in July. Has anyone camped there in the summer with a pet? I know there are no hookups and I'm concerned with the temperatures during the day for them (not us) since they will be in the RV. Thank you!

The temperature during the summer usually is in the mid to high 70's with an occasional day in the low 80's. Due to the geology and weather patterns, you could even get a day in the 90's, although that is usually short lived. So, don't worry too much about high outside temperature.

The bigger issue is if your RV can maintain a comfortable temperature inside during the day or if it turns into an oven. Both the Interior and Agricultural Dept respects AZ's Hot Car Law. This law allows a person who reasonably believes a pet is in distress inside a hot vehicle (includes RV's) to force entry to relive that animals suffering without worry of liability. There are some requirements before they bust out your window or rip open a door, but the key element is their reasonable belive. Just something to be aware of.

As for pets at the North Rim. Leashed pets are allowed at the North Rim only in a vehicle or campground, or on the Bridle Path. They are not allowed anywhere else. The Bridle Path runs from the visitor's center parking lot all the way to the North Rim Campground. Do not walk them on sidewalks, trails or streets; it's the Bridle Path or inside a vehicle. Enforcement is generally sporadic as they have more important things to look for, but if caught, they do force you to leave or put the animal in a vehicle.

You should check right before arrival as for health, safety or environmental reasons, they can ban pets all together at the North Rim until conditions return to normal. This is rare, but can happen.

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Stewart123 wrote:

The temperature during the summer usually is in the mid to high 70's with an occasional day in the low 80's. Due to the geology and weather patterns, you could even get a day in the 90's, although that is usually short lived. So, don't worry too much about high outside temperature.

The bigger issue is if your RV can maintain a comfortable temperature inside during the day or if it turns into an oven. Both the Interior and Agricultural Dept respects AZ's Hot Car Law. This law allows a person who reasonably believes a pet is in distress inside a hot vehicle (includes RV's) to force entry to relive that animals suffering without worry of liability. There are some requirements before they bust out your window or rip open a door, but the key element is their reasonable belive. Just something to be aware of.

As for pets at the North Rim. Leashed pets are allowed at the North Rim only in a vehicle or campground, or on the Bridle Path. They are not allowed anywhere else. The Bridle Path runs from the visitor's center parking lot all the way to the North Rim Campground. Do not walk them on sidewalks, trails or streets; it's the Bridle Path or inside a vehicle. Enforcement is generally sporadic as they have more important things to look for, but if caught, they do force you to leave or put the animal in a vehicle.

You should check right before arrival as for health, safety or environmental reasons, they can ban pets all together at the North Rim until conditions return to normal. This is rare, but can happen.

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for so many replies and helpful information everyone.

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer

Stewart123
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
We boondocked at the North Rim two summers ago, in August. Had our cat with us. It was never too warm in the trailer, and he stayed there just fine.

There is a Forest Service campground between the Park and Jacob Lake. Indian Crossing, or something like that. You may want to consider that campground, as it is more roomy than the National Park campground. It is closer to some of the Forest Service roads that can take you out to the rim, outside the Park. Great day trips, and you can take your dog on the walk on those trails.

From our week-long experience, I don't believe you have anything to worry about, temp-wise, about leaving your pets in the trailer during the day.

GordonThree, we take our pets along, as we are not gone 24 hours a day. We are still with them more than they are alone. Beats the heck out of putting them in a kennel (doggie prison) while we are gone.