cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for recommendation for Electric Bikes...

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about getting a couple of Electric Bikes, and are looking for some good recommendations.

EDIT:
Your model?

How much does it weigh?

Can the battery be easy taken off? Apparently, these electric bikes are high value for thieves, and if the battery can be easily removed, the thieves might not notice it's an electric bike!

Likes, Dislikes, Prices, and any lessons learned!

Thank you,
marc
Best Regards,....marc & joan
28 REPLIES 28

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking about electric powered vehicles intended to enhance camping/motorhoming enjoyment. Electric bikes and scooters that can do 60mph may have a legitimate use but such performance is not needed in typical RV facilities. Nothing really wrong with having extra power available except that, if misused, on purpose or accidentally, serious injury or damage to trails can result with further such use prohibited or controlled via mandatory instruction and licensing.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I agree we’re in the Model T phase of laws and light enforcement.

As popularity grows and the number of bikes multiply and trails start to get more crowded and a few extreme riders cause issues THEN enforcement starts. Follow California laws.

They usually pave the way for the rest of the country.

Florida is regulating by watts that I know of but by speed.

If it goes over 20 it’s not legal on bike paths or sidewalks.

I’m going to end up with two. A 750 Watt beater and probably
A Motan Addmotor 1000W Bafang mid drive. Fat tires
100 mm adjustable dampened fork 1500w peak
Rated for 350 pounds.

It’s a beast.

I have the 1000 watt Bafang with a 52 volt battery pack and it gets up and fly's, you can upgrade the 30 amp controller to 50 amp and it will get up to 45 mph, seen it done however it will over heat the motor, the wattage law on electric bikes is not the issue on bike paths and such its the speed you drive, you can just hold back your speed when people/police are around and when its clear just let her rip.

My next bike will be 5000 watts, it can do 60+ mph.. :E

old people ride 250 watt slow lame bikes 😛

Well ... I'm an "old people" ... but still wish I could afford a side-oiler 427 Shelby Cobra.

I would like an ultra-high wattage ebike to take along on RV trips - but not for high bike speeds. What a monster lithium battery pack on an ebike would provide with low bike speeds is an ultra-long time between charges. I'd even like one limited by design to 20-25 MPH, but with a range as far above 100 miles as possible. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: Got the the Aventon Pace 500 ebike, $1400, 8 speed, 500wh battery, Class 3 power assist up to 28mph, 20mph with throttle only. They also make a 7 speed for $999. The 8 speed works well with no assist on level ground, nice to have the assist on hills. No suspension fork, but suspension seat posts are available. Using a 9mm chain for security. weighs 52# with added bike rack and small commuter bag. Love the bike, especially for the price and quality.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful website for ebikes: electricbikereview.com tons of info on their forum. Geared hub drive motors have less drag for pedal only mode. I learned that batteries can be rebuilt.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken my Honda Trail 90 motorcycle mounted on an aluminum hitch rack, but at 188 lbs it is a little too heavy and awkward to load and unload for us now at 80 years old. I have a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler portable mobility scooter that comes apart in three pieces. I may take it with us for running to the camp store, etc. It's parts fit in our large cargo bay. I still use the scooter while very slowly recovering from knee replacement surgery. As an alternative, we may take one or two regular aluminum frame step through lady's cruiser bicycles on a bike rack. I would recommend that campers use an electric bike that can carry a few groceries from the camp store.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an ad from Costco for a stand-up electric scooter from Segway that looks like high quality, 15mph,long range $599. May be shown in your local store.

Segway Ninebot ES3 KickScooter With Dual Battery

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which of these bikes are easiest to pedal once the battery is discharged? Are they as easy to pedal as a regular mountain bike?

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I live in area with steep hills and my Raleigh Sprite is the ticket...takes me up with ease! However, when I tried taking it in the toad on camping trips, it is very heavy and I strained to lift it by myself into the back of the CRV. I felt hernia like pains in my abdomen area...have decided to go back to taking the pedal bike (much lighter) when camping. The other thing I notice is that even with the longer range of the ebike, I am still limited by the amount of time my butt can spend on that bike seat! I also notice that you don't get much of a workout with the ebike.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted: relatively light 8+speed battery assist e-bike under $2500. My main concern: 500 watt battery needs to be on more than one manufacturer so can find a replacement 10 years down the road. Anybody know which brands might fit this bill?

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a GOGO with larger wheels,4 wheel version. Wife is lung cancer survivor and is on dialysis ,PD type which we can do on the road. The GOGO can travel most trails.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Populo Sport. Not the most comfortable ebike you can get but it is light and not expensive.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
There are four classifications of e bikes. Three are tentatively allowed on designated bike trails.

Are you talking bike trails or paths? There is a difference and no, trails in places like Colorado are generally only going to allow class 1 e-bikes on them, not the 3 designations you are referring to. One must check the regulations first because even though Colorado may have many places that allow class 1 e-bikes on trails, certain places, Boulder, do not allow ANY e-bikes on trails. This is just one example, every state may very.

One must first verify if it is legal to ride an e-bike on a trail and even a path here in the US.

BTW, OP, Trek and many other major cycling companies are starting to make e-bikes.
I love me some land yachting

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I put Tongsheng 500 watt TSDZ2 mid drive pedal assist kits on a pair of Treks. Cost was about 700 bucks a bike—kits, batteries and all. They were great; the Tongshengs have torque sensors and the motor responds to how hard you pedal—makes you feel like Superman. The bikes were stolen.

Now we have a pair of tadpole trikes, an ICE and a Catrike. 750 watt TSDZ2s are on the way.. Security has been increased.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speed is the issue and it’s not just e bikes. We had a bad accident on a trail near hear last year when avid young cyclists were pumping hard, came around a corner on a trail and plowed into a slow moving family with young children.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.