cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our New Years trip

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
The plan was to Setup camp at Cuddeback dry lake bed in the Mojave Desert. Since I was first to arrive out of the group I had to find a spot. We normally setup camp about 6 miles in off of RM34 - the original spot we hoped for was taken. We ended up down on the dry lake bed which I think was pretty nice, plus it was flat and level.

Camp, just 4 of us in this pic - Unfortunately One of our buddies had to cut his trip short and another decided to leave early this year.

Saturday -

Group pic of all of us heading out to Husky Monument

The kids are always stoked!

Perfect sunset!
Sunday -

Early morning desert sunrise -
we did another Group ride this time to the abandoned boron federal prison and Astro Burger at the corner of HWY 58 and HWY 395

The crew about to cross the 395

Man so much good food - I know itโ€™s Astro Burger but they have a Mexican food menu too and I am always a sucker for Mexican food.
I ordered the Chili Verde wet burrito , so delicious. After lunch I didnโ€™t feel like riding back ๐Ÿ™‚ but the plan was to Stop off at the prison so off we go.

Me and my Daugter at the top of the prison, not sure what exactly this but itโ€™s pretty massive. Iโ€™m guessing its for military?

My daughter doing some prison style work out ๐Ÿ™‚

Back at camp to enjoy an epic day
Monday

Monday morning the Kids were up early riding so we did a little bit of exploring

Cuddeback in the distance

We found this while out exploring, we shined our flash lights down
But we couldnโ€™t see the bottom. We were going to send a GoPro down on a fishing rod but I didnโ€™t have one in the trailer which I normally have stored in the TH.

Later that day we decided to make a trip up to Randsburg in the trucks for lunch - but all the kids decided they wanted to ride in instead so I decided to take them while my buddies and the wives drove.

Selfie break!

Leaving randsburg Hungry - the line at the general store was 3x longer than it was for Thanksgiving. Another epic day and now the battle to try and stay awake tilโ€™ midnight.

The wifeโ€™s NYE decor ๐Ÿ™‚

Looooooong night ahead after a long day of riding. Me and
My buddy where the only ones to make it for the New Years.

6am Tuesday morning camp shot - time to start cleaning up and head home.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
20 REPLIES 20

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

All I know is that if you can see one of the golf balls from camp, then your crank-up antenna will pull in all the TV stations nicely.

Was not aware of that, will try it. Have not got the antenna on our new trailer to pull in anything but only tried a couple of times since use the satellite most of the time.

I have an app called TV Towers that shows the location and orientation of the nearest broadcasts.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

All I know is that if you can see one of the golf balls from camp, then your crank-up antenna will pull in all the TV stations nicely.

Was not aware of that, will try it. Have not got the antenna on our new trailer to pull in anything but only tried a couple of times since use the satellite most of the time.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Been there many times and no security. One of our guys has done work in the big ball. He says it's part of LAX navigation system.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

jackxclan
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
jackxclan wrote:
Ricky the reports of security at the prison are just talk?

I guess so, never heard of security being there, but then agian it was our first time plus from what I been reading all the walls are gone so no more structure to secure.

they just tore down a lot of it last year or so. The building with the ball on top is a microwave station I believe. There are a series of white golf ball looking antennas up and down 395. Maybe someone with concrete knowledge of them can chime in.

Maybe the talk of security was for the demo equipment.

graphite 2018 2500 long bed duramax
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel JL audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900

HOOLIGAN # 385

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
jackxclan wrote:

I guess so, never heard of security being there, but then agian it was our first time plus from what I been reading all the walls are gone so no more structure to secure.

they just tore down a lot of it last year or so. The building with the ball on top is a microwave station I believe. There are a series of white golf ball looking antennas up and down 395. Maybe someone with concrete knowledge of them can chime in.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
jackxclan wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
maxum1989 wrote:
You did all that riding, stayed up late for New Years, and then got an early 6am sunrise shot?!?! You've got more energy than most.

Yup! ๐Ÿ™‚

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
jackxclan wrote:

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
Missed being there with you guys on New Years and staying up esp with the traditional burning of the Christmas trees! Sure was cold out there this year! The coldest it been so far. Mom is doing fine now,sorry we had to leave so early but we will try to get together soon again. Love cuddleback, did good job finding campsite!

Good to hear all is good with Mom. Looking forward to our next trip.

jackxclan
Explorer
Explorer

graphite 2018 2500 long bed duramax
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel JL audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900

HOOLIGAN # 385

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Missed being there with you guys on New Years and staying up esp with the traditional burning of the Christmas trees! Sure was cold out there this year! The coldest it been so far. Mom is doing fine now,sorry we had to leave so early but we will try to get together soon again. Love cuddleback, did good job finding campsite!

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
You did all that riding, stayed up late for New Years, and then got an early 6am sunrise shot?!?! You've got more energy than most.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Astro Burger always sort of looked closed even when we were going there over 30 years ago.

Thanks for the great trip report. It brings back a lot of good memories.

Yeah I can see it looking closed, once we left the parking lot was empty. 30 years going to the desert is awesom, this is only our 4th year. Glad to share our trips.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Looks like a great trip. We were in the spot where we camped with you guys for Gem-O-Rama.

I'm surprised to see Astro Burgers open. We've stopped there twice in the past year and they were closed. Others in our group said that it was closed forever, but it didn't look *that* closed.

A few months ago we pulled up to the sit-down restaurant kitty-corner to Astro Burger for a late lunch and it was actually really good.

We always assumed it would be open, guess we got lucky.

Iโ€™m getting more familiar with the desert, i couldโ€™ve Made a B Line straight through RM1555 to Stephens mine rd.