cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Trucks

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Years everyone. It has been a while since I have posted here. I have a diesel fuel/truck question.

I am looking to import a diesel truck and trailer. Will I be ok bringing in a post 2006 Dodge, Ford or GMC in regards to the ULSD requirements?

If I could find a diesel truck with Mexican plates and factura (that would be easier) but after looking for the last 3 months importing seems the way to go.
19 REPLIES 19

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Be glad you did get a vehicle. Rumor has it the importation of used vehicles could grind to a halt. Starting in January this year used vehicles were supposed to be with no restrictions and no duties. It has not happened. the Dealers associations and the car mfrs. are lobbying for up to 65% duty!!! It was front page news on El Imparcial. Let's see what AMLO does.
Moisheh

Talleyho69
Glad they helped and you got what you wanted.

Now the second part.....

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
After many months of searching, I finally purchased my diesel dually, 1997 F350 4-door. The truck already been imported, which save me some expense.

FYI, I was at the border during my search. I spoke to several brokers in TJ and Mexicali, as of today 2004 and newer diesel trucks can be imported. I found a perfect 1998 Dodge I wanted but it was a no go. A 2004 Dodge 3500 diesel can be iported for a $4650 or about 25% of the value of a nice clean truck.

Now I am searching for a toy hauler or a cabover camper. Anybody got one???

Thanks Tally for the facebook marketplace and the Here We Go maps tip. I found the truck using Marketplace and the Here we go maps to get there.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Sounds good. Be sure to use a reputable broker.
Moisheh

Exactly. Do your due diligence before handing over any money. Look the broker up online. there are a lot of wolves hanging out at the border willing to help the pollos.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. Be sure to use a reputable broker.
Moisheh

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh, I read that article on weexpats and several other like them. There is some good info and some not so good info.

Let me try to simplify it. You have a vehicle you want to import to Mexico. You call your broker, give them the VIN number and they will tell you if it can be imported or not. If it can be imported they will give you the total cost. Chose your time, make an appointment with the broker, then sit back and let the broker do their job. After the process you will receive your factura, pedimento, and your 30 driving permit. Pretty simple.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Go to weexpats.com or Google their article Taking a car to Mexico.
Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I have not imported a vehicle but for a while I was following the changes. There are many unscrupulous individuals who are acting as agents. But when people go online their vehicle has not been imported legally. If you have an illegal import it will be seized. Best place for up to date info is one of the expat forums. I know that it became very expensive.
Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Moisheh and Playaboy. I did the import in 2010. The TT was a 2008 but was new and had not been titled. SAT was not happy with the low price I paid and so I submitted a notarized letter from the manufacturer from who I purchased it directly.

As for the Class B, I only state the rules as they appear in the handbook on importation. Of course, there can always be an exception. As long as it's legal that is fine by me. But remember, three years ago, SAT swooped down on agencias aduanales who had been fixing things to make the importation possible. I don't want to get mixed up in that.

I have also considered just purchasing an extended van and have it converted by a company such as Sportsmobile in Texas or do some of the work here and the rest there.

The pedimento is important because the dream is to be able to travel through Central and South America and entering and exiting Mexico with valid paperwork is important to the process.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hola Chris, it has been a long time since we spoke. Happy new years.

I too am starting to look for a new RV. I have not decided between a cab-over camper or a trailer. Either way I would like a 1-ton diesel dually. I haven’t found many diesels for sale in my area of Mexico. (Tally, Thanks for Facebook Marketplace tip).

Was the trailer you imported brand new? When did you import the trailer? Would that 22% rate apply to all non motorized used RV’s?

Have you become a Mexican citizen?

I have learned that the age limitations on vehicle imports are not as fixed as many people post. In Jan 2014 I imported a 1987, top of the line, mini van (27 years old) with 85000 miles. I purchased the van for 4000 pesos and paid just under $900 usd for the import process. I will drive that van until the salt air completely disintegrates it.

Chris, talk with some different brokers about the class B you are looking for. You might not be limited to only that “10 year old van”. Things are flexible at the border. It really comes down to this phase “at the present time”. There are many different ways to bring things across. You might speak with these folks www.superimportaciones.com Enrique Bautista, Enrique(at)pexim.com or cell. (956) 645-8073. I have never used them but they state that older, non-classic, vehicles can be imported.

Moisheh, have you imported a vehicle?

OldWiz, One of the reasons I am considering a 20 year old truck is they are less complicated, can run on all types of diesel, and are less expensive.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chris. When did you do that import? I know that a few years ago it became more expensive. If it is considered a commercial vehicle could be even more,

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The importation of a new vehicle such as an rv costs approx 22% of the value. I did it.

Used, as Talley said, has to be 10 years old, not more, not less. We are now looking at importing a Class B and will be investigating what is permitted and what the cost is.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
A 1 ton is considered a commercial vehicle. I do Sr the odd Mexican plateddusllu buy usually are wealthy horse people
Probably is prohibited. If allowed you will pay around 25 to 40% of the book value. The dealers do not have the correct software yo fix the truck.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
We read about the importation of "classic cars." The final decision was that it could potentially be a big problem, so we sold it and made a killing.

When actually arriving at the border with our Mexican plated Durango and an 8 foot cargo trailer also plated in Guerrero, as you said, it wasn't tough to get things done.

Sounds like importing a truck is the way to go for you! However, do check the Facebook Marketplace site.