cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Brake assist or not to brake assist ?

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, new to the Class A lifestyle, had a Fifth wheel in the past. Looking to setup my tow vehicle. I purchased a 2019 Kia Soul, weighs less than 3,000 lbs. So question is this. Go with no brake assist, or purchase used 'Brake Buddy'( ugly and old technology) for those what three states where I would be illegal? I would simply slap it in place so I would be legal.

Thanks so much,

charlie..
58 REPLIES 58

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Five2o wrote:
If you can feel the toad helping slow the motor home then you are ruining your brakes.
Ya no kidding! 4,000 lbs slowing 40,000 lbs
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Five2o
Explorer
Explorer
If you can feel the toad helping slow the motor home then you are ruining your brakes.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
et2 wrote:

The only foolishness is those people telling others they serve no purpose and aren't required. Even if they're within all the weight ratings and state requirements there's a considerable better chance they'll come out ahead if a emergency braking or toad issue arises.

So have you replaced the stock brakes on your toad with the highest performing aftermarket brakes available? There’s a considerable better chance...

But if I had to "tow" a significant amount with my toad, then yes a braking system is used. I wouldn't rely on the cars brakes to do all the work. Many cars specify using a secondary braking system if towing. The toads brakes stops the toad as a singular vehicle just fine, just as it assists in reducing the motorhome stopping distance by not relying on the Motorhome brakes to do all the work.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want your breakaway to lock up the brakes, or you've created another hazard. They should just bring the vehicle to a gentle stop. I think most brake buddy or portable type systems will do that. My RVi2 will.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

The only foolishness is those people telling others they serve no purpose and aren't required. Even if they're within all the weight ratings and state requirements there's a considerable better chance they'll come out ahead if a emergency braking or toad issue arises.

So have you replaced the stock brakes on your toad with the highest performing aftermarket brakes available? There’s a considerable better chance...

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
et2 wrote:

There's more to it than just a correctly installed base plate. A whole bunch of variables actually. And even if installed correctly, there could be a base plate that comes apart for a number of different reasons.

And what makes you think the Brake Buddy will stop a runaway vehicle? As I mentioned long ago I use a brake system but do not try to over think the purpose or am I paranoid about every possible scenario that could happen. If I did, I would never get on the road in any vehicle. I did have a brake Buddy system at one time and I remember hitting a bump and the jolt dislodging the system, making it unusable. The BB did apply brakes on my toad, but I never saw it even come close to locking up the wheels. After all, my toad had power brakes and the BB was working those brakes without power assist. You cannot come up with any type of system that is totally foolproof and it is foolish to even talk about, and even try to make up, instances where something bad can happen. :B
e

Nobody said anything about it locking up your brakes or they are all "fool proof", least I didn't. Your comment it was dislodged is vague, but perhaps you had some brakes vs zero.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
et2 wrote:

There's more to it than just a correctly installed base plate. A whole bunch of variables actually. And even if installed correctly, there could be a base plate that comes apart for a number of different reasons.

And what makes you think the Brake Buddy will stop a runaway vehicle? As I mentioned long ago I use a brake system but do not try to over think the purpose or am I paranoid about every possible scenario that could happen. If I did, I would never get on the road in any vehicle. I did have a brake Buddy system at one time and I remember hitting a bump and the jolt dislodging the system, making it unusable. The BB did apply brakes on my toad, but I never saw it even come close to locking up the wheels. After all, my toad had power brakes and the BB was working those brakes without power assist. You cannot come up with any type of system that is totally foolproof and it is foolish to even talk about, and even try to make up, instances where something bad can happen. :B

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
et2 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
If your base plate comes off OR your bumper comes off with tow bar????

It WAS NOT installed properly period.

Glad you believe yourself. Not all of us are gullable with everything we hear. Putting all that aside, what does it have to do with using a auxillary braking system or not. Seems like a good reason to use one wouldn't you agree?

It was in reference to an above post and picture. Sorry I didn't quote it for your reference. :R

And I said nothing about disagreeing with using an aux brake and if you read all the posts you would see that I DO use an auxillary brake.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Glad you believe yourself. Not all of us are gullable with everything we hear. Putting all that aside, what does it have to do with using a auxillary braking system or not. Seems like a good reason to use one wouldn't you agree?

It was in reference to an above post and picture. Sorry I didn't quote it for your reference. :R

And I said nothing about disagreeing with using an aux brake and if you read all the posts you would see that I DO use an auxillary brake.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Of course the Brake Buddy break-a-way feature is only necessary if the tow separates from the towing vehicle. It is equivalent to the insurance policy that one carries and prays they never have a need for it. Some do cheat and not carry insurance and their victims suffer because of it.

Those who love their fellowmen do not have a problem with doing their up-most to ensure everyone's safe travel along America's highways. Accidents do happen, products do fail but deliberate negligence should pay a high price if they injure a fellowman.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox base plates come with a second set of safety cables, in addition to the standard cables, that connect from the base plate to the toad frame. If you used an installer, make sure they were installed per the instructions.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In the instructions with my base plate, in bold print they remind you to check all the bolts for torque on a yearly basis. Sometimes they may be properly installed, but not checked, or either improperly installed. I used red loctite on mine, will check in the Spring.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the car coming loose---20 years ago my Aunt nearly lost her life when a car came loose on the other side of the Interstate, came across the medium and hit their car going 70mph near Salt Lake City. I myself had one come partially loose from a U Haul tow bar but I got it stopped without incident. So it does happen. A braking system is always good.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote: