cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leak-free Class-C?

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
For a couple of months now, I've been looking for a small (24ft)
Class C. Less than 10 years old, 50K miles, clean......

I have a list of questions I send to the lister and one of them
is regarding leaks in the overhead cab. About 60% of the responses
state that they had a leak at one time but is now leak-free.....

I bumped into a friend yesterday who has a Class C and said that most
of his problems relate to the cab over.

So.... is it a case of "if you own a class C, you will eventually
experience a leak ?"

I understand annual maintenance and resealing etc etc but I've owned
4 TTs and except for cleaning the roof, I've never had to reseal
any of the roofs.

I'm tempted to buy a B+ because of the better "cab-over" design but
then I loose the bed/storage space of a Class C.

I have noticed that the newer Class C's have redesigned cab-overs
with a moulded "nose" - so maybe the problems have been solved.

Looking for opinions from Class C owners of older (10 years) ones -

Are leaks that common ?
Gerry
35 REPLIES 35

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Owned three Born Free coaches, the two without cabover window never leaked. Minimal squeakers and rattles with this brand. Too bad they are out of business, highest quality class C produced.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
sullivanclan wrote:
Interesting post with a lot of good information. We have 2003 Jayco 25ft motorhome and the only place I have found a leak during a four-day heavy rainstorm was on the top of the slide where the waterproof tape had rubbed off when it opens and closes. After the trip, I cleaned it up and retaped it tight. I inspect our roof, clean it and caulk it each Spring. I inspect the inside ceiling and windows edges each month and after each heavy rain or snowmelt. So far, so good.

I do have windows on the front cab, and I inspect them monthly as well. I like the windows as we live out West and most often have wonderful views from all windows.

Leads are inevitable at some time on any rig. But checking them often catches problems early and doing regular roof maintenance helps.

This
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Ron had an awesome response! Wow. I've had a fiberglass class C and they can be trouble, I've rebuilt the cabover, not fun. Have switched to a holiday rambler aluminum sided and won't go back.. enough said.
Not discounting 1 piece fiberglass roofs! Those are awesome!!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post with a lot of good information. We have 2003 Jayco 25ft motorhome and the only place I have found a leak during a four-day heavy rainstorm was on the top of the slide where the waterproof tape had rubbed off when it opens and closes. After the trip, I cleaned it up and retaped it tight. I inspect our roof, clean it and caulk it each Spring. I inspect the inside ceiling and windows edges each month and after each heavy rain or snowmelt. So far, so good.

I do have windows on the front cab, and I inspect them monthly as well. I like the windows as we live out West and most often have wonderful views from all windows.

Leads are inevitable at some time on any rig. But checking them often catches problems early and doing regular roof maintenance helps.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
You have an overhead bunk, what I have is an aerodynamic nose cone that is secured onto the roof of the original cab roof and then is mounted / fastened to the house.

Look at a photo of a Cambria then you may understand . The nose cone on the cambria has no steel structure inside, it is fiberglass. It moves.

Hmmm ... that's different than our 2005 Itasca's construction ... so yes, it could do it's own movement thing relative to the cab.

Other than the molded shell itself being less susceptable to leaks, it being fastened to the coach as a separate structure does raise non-integral concerns to me - independent movement being one.

In pictures of Class Cs with that cabover type, I assumed that that plastic molding was merely fit over and supported (in addition to cab ceiling support) by the internal metal framing that was an integral extension of the coach's metal wall and ceiling framing ... just like in our rig. I wonder why they couldn't have designed it that way?

Boy ... you have watch everything these days! Maybe Coach House and Oliver Travel Trailers are some of the very few these days that do it right.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
The relatively thin steel on the roof of a Class C, does in fact flex, more so after the roof has been cut out for easier access to the rest of the MH.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have an overhead bunk, what I have is an aerodynamic nose cone that is secured onto the roof of the original cab roof and then is mounted / fastened to the house.

Look at a photo of a Cambria then you may understand . The nose cone on the cambria has no steel structure inside, it is fiberglass. It moves.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
pnichols wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
"How can our cabover area "bounce independently" "

Next time Im out Ill send you a video.

Then something is not the best with respect to it's design ... if it's bottom is right down sitting on, and attached to, the van's steel cab roof how can it bounce when the cab isn't. :h

It may be attached but the shell is not rigid.

Exactly, not sure why this is so difficult to understand. Ever see a building sway in the breeze, thats steel mounted to concrete, how could it bend, look at inflight videos of an aircraft in turbulence, looks like those big million dollar Rolls Royce engines may leave the wing.
The Fiberglass nose on my Cambria bounces during movement, deal with it.

I'll use again the word "impossible" ... at least with respect to how our rig's cabover over-hang rests right on, and is waterproof sealed to, the Ford cab's steel ceiling. From the driver's seat I can look right up at the long curving union joint where Winnebago joined the cabover's bottom floor to the cab's ceiling cut out.

That union cannot allow the bottom of the cabover to moved separate from the cab's ceiling or I would see that union area flex (and eventually degrade) when going down the road. Additionally, the cab is bolted solid to the same chassis frame member as the coach (unlike a pickup with a camper on it) - how can one (the cabover floor) go up and down and the other one (the cab ceiling) not?

Then again, maybe they constructed them different back in late 2004 when our 2005 Class C was built. :h

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbitschura wrote:
pnichols wrote:
klutchdust wrote:

Then something is not the best with respect to it's design ... if it's bottom is right down sitting on, and attached to, the van's steel cab roof how can it bounce when the cab isn't. :h

Exactly, not sure why this is so difficult to understand. Ever see a building sway in the breeze, thats steel mounted to concrete, how could it bend, look at inflight videos of an aircraft in turbulence, looks like those big million dollar Rolls Royce engines may leave the wing.
The Fiberglass nose on my Cambria bounces during movement, deal with it.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gerry,

As pessimistic as the replies have been, they are valid.

New, used, or well used, when shopping for a conventional class B+ or C, the most important consideration is how it is constructed. This post outlines construction methods which are most affordable and methods that cost more, but are built to hold up much better to the elements and also the punishment of the road.

Some motor home manufactures offer different levels of quality through their various model lines. Instead of providing a list of brands to consider, it is best to identify what "Better" is.

When shopping for a motor home, don't get distracted with "Eye Candy" and "Square Footage". You want to pay close attention to how the house is constructed. Water infiltration is the number one killer of motor homes, rotting them away long before anything is worn out. Once water gets inside, it is like termites. By the time you realize there is a problem, a lot of damage has already occurred. Also consider that mold & mildew can grow inside the walls which then you have a health hazard. My advise focuses on identifying a reliably well sealed motor home.

#1 BEST (Very Expensive, Can Be 1.5 times the cost of Second Best)
NO structural seam work. The brand Coach House is a fine example. It is seamless, made from a mold. The only places where water can leak is cutouts for windows, entry door, roof-top vents & a/c unit, storage compartments & maintenance access, all of which are in areas of very low stress. Because they have a seamless shell, these motor homes are not common and have a limited selection of sizes and floor plans.

#2 SECOND BEST
Common, Affordable, & comes in Many Sizes so this is my main focus
I own an example of this type. My Rig Here manufactured by Phoenix USA.
Made in sections, but assembled in a way that greatly reduces the threat of water damage. Here are the good things you want to look for.

a) Structural Seams Away From Corners
When a motor home is driven, the house bounces, resonates, shakes, and leans countless times, representing a endless series of earthquakes. Corner seams see greater stresses than seams located elsewhere. Corner seams are more easily split, especially when the caulk gets brittle with age & exposure to the sun. One extremely bad bump in the road can instantly breach a corner seam. Seams hold up much better when they are brought in from the corners in lesser stressed areas.

b) A Seamless Over-The-Van Front Cap
A huge bed above the van’s roof is the most vulnerable area of a motor home. No matter how well they are made, that long frontal over-hang resonates when the RV is driven making it common for seams to split there, most troublesome with age & exposure to the elements. HERE is an example, one of many water-damage threads I have read. Scroll down in that thread to see pictures of the real damage.

The small front aerodynamic cap of a B+ design HERE eliminates the overhang which eliminates most of the resonation, along with the most vulnerable seam work.

There are a few conventional “C” Designs (big over-van bed) where that area is seamless. If you absolutely must have that huge bed, then look for a seamless bucket-like design. The Itasca Navion Here is a fine example. Some manufactures as of late offer a partial bucket design with fewer seams located in less-stressed areas. Some manufacture models like the Minnie Winnie and the Nexus Phantom utilize a compromising partial bucket design, making it a better choice compared to a fully seamed cab-over bed.

If you plan to accommodate more than 2 people, having that large extra cab-over bed will be extremely useful.

c) A Crowned Roof
Rain and snow melt runs off a crowned roof. A flat roof will sag over time, then water puddles around heavy roof-top items like the a/c unit. Water eventually finds it's way inside after gaskets & caulk have degraded from age, sun, and change in seasons.

d) Rolled-Over-The-Edge seamless Fiberglass Roof Sheathing
A single sheet of fiberglass as shown HERE that rolls over the right & left sides of the roof, down to the wall. The overlapping of fiberglass to the wall provides a good water seal and the fiberglass sheathing holds up better than roofs made of sheet rubber or thin plastic called TPO, which require more attention to keep your RV well protected.

e) A Five Sided Rear Wall Cap
A five sided back wall moves the seams around to the sides to areas of much less stress as seen HERE. The rear wall resembles a shallow rectangular cooking pan standing on it's side. Like the example, some rear wall sections are constructed with an integrated spare tire compartment and rear storage compartment. Not only are they convenience features, but that rear wall/cap offers a solid double-wall for exceptional strength which is more resistant to flexing the adjoining seam work. It helps in keeping the house together.

Don't be fooled. There are a select few manufactures who add rear wall sectional styling pieces over an entry level rear corner seam design which gives the appearance of a 5-sided pan design. You can easily tell by noting the sections & seams between them and the flat back wall that remains exposed.

Bigger Will Be Weaker
The size & floor plan you select MUST FIRST meet your needs before this consideration.
The bigger the house, the weaker the structure will be. Consider two cardboard boxes made from the exact same corrugated material. The smaller box would naturally be stronger. It will be more resistant to bending, twisting, and other types of flexing. So if you are on the fence between models, the smaller one will be your stronger choice.

Potentially Troublesome Construction
Entry level motor homes are made with seams in corners and finished off with trim, including the massive cab-over bed. Their roof is flat and finished with rubber or TPO. They are most affordable, and come in all sizes. HERE is one such example. If considering this construction type, keep in-mind they require more regular care with bi-annual inspections. Plan to use a caulking gun now and then. When buying a used one, consider that you really don't know how well the previous owner maintained it. Buying new or used, that construction method will be counting on you to be a good non-neglectful owner.

There are also the rare exception of the Lazy Daze which has seam work in the corners, but the substructure and sealing method is of the highest quality that it holds up like a seamless body. It's excellent sectional construction methods are not commonly found in other brands. I am no expert on this, but I'd give it a #1.5 Almost Like Best

About The Chassis
The most popular is the Ford E350 and E450 with the V10 engine. The Sprinter diesel is a popular alternative to the E350 in the smaller sizes. Also within this past year is the recent introduction of the Ford Transit. The GM 3500 & 4500 chassis are not popular but are a very good choice for the right application. Any of the chassis mentioned made since 1998 are real good, new or used. If you plan to tow a car or heavy trailer, be aware that the Sprinter & Transit will be least powered. People who tow with them naturally take it slower.

If considering a current-day “small” class B+ or C motor home, here is a comparison between the two current main chassis contenders, the Sprinter with the V6 diesel engine and the Ford E350 with the V10 gasoline engine.

Advantages Of The Mercedes Sprinter With Diesel Engine
- Offers a 35%-50% improvement in fuel economy over the Ford-V10, when both are loaded and driven identically.
- More ergonomic driver compartment with more leg room.
- Comfort continues with a car-like feel & quiet ride.
- A grander view out the windshield
- Made by Mercedes which people are attracted to.

Advantages Of The Ford E350 with V10 Engine
- Given identical motor homes both brand and model, the Ford is around $13,000 MSRP cheaper
- The Ford V10 engine has 50% more horse power and torque
- The Ford E350 chassis handles 1430 pounds more weight.
- The E350 is able to tow a heavier load.
- The E350 rear axle is significantly wider which translates to better stability.
- In most places traveled, gasoline costs less than diesel fuel
- The Sprinter diesel has limited mechanical service shops around North America
- The Sprinter diesel is typically outfitted with a propane generator. Propane is a critical fuel for RV operations, and generally needs to be rationed when dry camping.
- This Next Point Is Debatable But Still Worth Noting....The V6 Sprinter diesel engine is not allowed to idle for extended periods. This limitation is detrimental when you need a/c but there are generator restrictions, you are low on propane, or you have a mechanical failure with the generator or roof a/c. The Ford offers a great backup system. The V10 can safely idle for hours on end, heating, cooling, and battery charging, all valuable if you have a baby, pets, or health/respiratory issues.

You decide what your priorities are, and pick the appropriate chassis. There are some really sweet motor homes being built exclusively on the Sprinter chassis, such as the Winnebago Navion and View. Others like Phoenix USA build their model 2350 and 2400 on both the Sprinter and Ford E350. They will even build it on the heaviest duty E450 upon request for a nominal fee. People who request an E450 for a small motor home, tow heavier things like for example, a multi-horse trailer. You can even special order a E350 & E450 4x4.

There is so much cool stuff offered in recent years on the Sprinter and most recently on the new Ford Transit.

The Ford Transit Chassis
This chassis has the potential to dominate the class B+ & C motor home market in the smaller sizes. According to Ford's website, the Transit DRW chassis is offered in the 156", and 178" wheel base, and is rated as high as 10,360 GVWR. Ford offers a motor home package specific for the RV industry. It's diesel engine compares to the Sprinter in power and fuel economy, but is more affordable and is easily serviced at Ford service centers, just like the E350 & E450. The cab has a much lower stance than the Sprinter making it much more friendly to get into and out from for people in their later years. It's more like a mini-van rather than a standard van. The Transit's lower cab also offers roomier over-head bunks that are easier to access.

The Dodge Promaster 3500 Cut-Away Chassis
This front wheel drive chassis is another recent entry in the RV industry. I am concerned over it's lack of load capability as reflected with single free-wheeling rear wheels. I have been reading posts written by new Promaster RV owners stating they are over-weight with just two people, some personal effects and food. They say they can't carry water and never a 3rd person. I would not be comfortable with such a limited load range in a B+ or C. This chassis does seem to be a good option in the "B" motor home market.

The Chevy 3500 & 4500 Chassis
Unfortunately this chassis is not more popular, primarily because GM sort-of gave up on competing with the Ford E350 & E450. It offers more interior comfort than the Ford, but not as much as the Sprinter. It's power & weight ratings are a little less than their Ford counter-parts making them a great chassis for all but the heaviest of class Cs. They are also a little better on fuel consumption. One thing to keep in-mind, if you are counting inches in storing your rig, the Chevy is a little longer than the Ford by a number of inches which was critical for us with our garage as seen HERE with our Ford 2007 E350 rig. That could be the reason why the Chevy has a little more interior driver/passenger leg room.

The Ford E350 & E450
The majority of class B+ and C motor homes are built on one of these two chassis for a number of very good reasons. They have more power and load capability than the others. Ford approves outfitters to modify the chassis to increase or decrease the wheel base which supplies motor home companies a lot of design freedom. Ford has off-the-shelf components that work with the wheel base modification. So if you need a new drive shaft, fuel line, brake line, parking brake cable, wire harness, whatever, Ford has them available. Finally, the E350 and E450 chassis is competitively priced.

Engine Power Ratings of Ford, MB-Sprinter, Chevy, and Dodge
Ford E350 & E450 - 6.8L-V10, 305hp, 420ft
Ford Transit Diesel - 3.2L-I5, 185hp, 350ft
Mercedes Sprinter Diesel - 3.0L-V6, 188hp, 325ft
Chevy 3500 & 4500 - 6.0L-V8, 323hp, 373ft
Dodge Promaster - 3.6L-V6 (GVW only 9,300 pounds)

Now to supply some data as to why I feel our Phoenix Cruiser stands above most other brands. These two videos drag on, but provide lots of data and also clarify critical things to look for when evaluating any brand.

CLICK HERE on a comparison between a Phoenix Cruiser and an unknown brand.

CLICK HERE for a slideshow on how a Phoenix Cruiser is built. I feel this slide show teaches so much, especially about hidden things to consider.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
klutchdust wrote:

2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:

In our case it actually fluttered. Read back for how I fixed it.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II