cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ham Bone? Make Soup!

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Christmas ham bone became vegetable soup!
Why do I forget how easy it is to make soup?
A leftover ham bone, pound of frozen mixed veggies, 3 potatoes chopped up, chopped up onion, 1 cup of barley (I love barley!) and a can of green beans, add some water.
Bring to a boil then let simmer 1 to 1-1/2 hours and- OMG!
I once used a spiral sliced ham bone and they sliced too close and I had bone chips in soup so check it first.
10 REPLIES 10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our Christmas ham bone just became split pea soup.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Short Friend and I are killing off a huge pot of 15-bean soup that started with a ham bone and veggies, boiled down into a wonderful broth. It will be gone before Tall Friend and WLToo return from their elk hunt.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
#1 ingredient for DW's pea or lentil soup. When she makes it (after Christmas and Easter) it's all I eat breakfast-lunch-supper-bedsnack until it's all gone. Hands down better than any other soup or stew recipe.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. I like adding cabbage in our ham bone soup.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
When DW makes pea soup she uses salt beef, instead of ham. The salt beef ( aka cured navel beef) gives it a different flavour from the ham. She also puts in diced turnip, and makes " dough- b'ys" or dumplings.
Dan

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
Mmmm, pea soup and cornbread. Good winter meal!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Every time anyone in our family makes a ham, we take the bone. Throw it in the crock pot with some peas, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, water and some chicken broth.....10 hours later you have some of the best dang pea soup ever! We never waste a ham bone.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Beans/Ham bone and cornbread.......coming soon

Let me know when it's time to eat!;)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I do something similar with the left over turkey and salt beef. Minus the potatoes. But I also add just a pinch of garlic, and some pepper.
Dan

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beans/Ham bone and cornbread.......coming soon
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31