cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who doesn't haul big toys?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
As a family who fulltimes, we bought a toy hauler for the empty slate garage to turn it into a bedroom but more importantly for the cargo carrying capacity of the camper (after our frame buckled on our bunkhouse).

Am I the only one whose toys aren't golf carts, UTVs, or motorcycles and instead are boardgames, LEGOs, and books? 😄

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
21 REPLIES 21

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours year round and carry every type of item we own. Right now the bottom bunk is out and we ski camp. We use the back for our wet gear with a large dehumidifier drying things out overnight. We carry our Ranger and multiple ATVs going to the dunes, high desert, and mountains. I used the back to load a table saw and lots of building supplies and tools to remodel a bathroom in a rental house one state away. We slide a 14' boat in and camp in the woods where our large boat won't work. Last summer we rolled out the carpet in the back and took a 7-week road trip across the country. We carried a large cooler, an extra plastic dresser, and a bunch of toys for the boys to play with. Living in the NorthWest we use it to carry furniture in the winter from the store to the house when it's raining. I am very glad we have a toy hauler for our uses and not a travel trailer.

Nicodemus
Explorer
Explorer
I travel as a surgical tech and this is our 3rd rv. We've had an old Class A, a Carriage Cameo bought new in 03, and now this Spartan bought last year. We've got the computer desk, a large shelving unit, computer desk, bookcases, washer/drier, and assorted other stuff in the garage. Going to rearrange it as much as possible at our next assignment to accommodate a small dining area.

RicknKim
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly stored with expensive bicycles which have too much value to leave covered outside and locked up. Also, plenty of other essentials for living fulltime in our unit. Another valuable item is a small beverage refrigerator that stays on all the time just for drinks.

cfd225
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased ours for your two big dogs. We have a Shepard and a mastiff lab mix. We also use it to carry our bikes and Kayaks. Some times it is used as a bedroom. For a dresser for the garage i purchased one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786JRJYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jayco 2018 Seismic 4113
Chevy 3500 Diesel
Zena (Black Shepard), Tiller (Mastiff/Lab Mix)

vankaye
Explorer
Explorer
I do haul a harley or a harley and two dirtbikes. Once the toys are unloaded my girl sets up the garage as her yoga room.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We take three kinds of trips: with the Harley in the garage, with the RZR in the garage, with the garage serving as a bedroom for guests. It is so versatile.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Not me.
2800lb sand car and quads go in mine.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
We (My wife and I, no kids) only have two dirt bikes but we do have 5 dogs. Our Toy Hauler is a rolling kennel more than anything. We take it to dog shows around the country but on trips where we plan to ride Motocross the bikes just go in the back of the truck.
Going down the road my truck probably looks similar bike in back instead of in the toy hauler. Lots of floor space for the Collies. I like the large water tanks, built in generator with fuel tank. I have hauled a variety of toys, jet ski, motorcycles and scooters with the toy hauler.

I have seen toy hauler garages used as offices as well for people who work on the road.

Fredetteb
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Am I the only one whose toys aren't golf carts, UTVs, or motorcycles and instead are boardgames, LEGOs, and books? 😄

My wife and I have been full time for 3 years and been RVing for many years before. Among our 4 fifth wheels through the years we've had 2 toy haulers and both were used to carry "stuff" other than toys. (I did briefly carry a golf cart).

Our cargo usually consisted of the bulky camping things BBQ grill, folding tables, chairs etc. But since we went full time we also have to keep with us a variety of clothes (summer, winter) any holiday decorations, a couple of space heaters, a variety of tools and other odds and ends that life requires.

The unique floor plan and garage area of our Montana 381th suits our needs perfectly. All the stuff is out of sight yet easy to get to if needed.
Full-time RV'ers
2008 Ford F-450.
Custom rear seat platform for the dogs.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana 381TH

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a golf cart but bought it for the versatility. Garage with plenty of capacity and space, living room/party room/game room/movie theater/dining room when the weather or bugs are too bad for my preferred campfire seating. For people with older kids that are not fans of the small bunks in some bunkhouses, it's a legitimate option.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have any toys for our garage and I think it's safe to say that a high percentage of TH owners in the eastern half of the country don't use the garage for toys. Personally, I just love the versatility of it.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We carry a couple of big Harleys in our toy hauler but when we stop for an extended period of time, the garage become part of our living area: carpet on the floor, a couple of desks for our computers, big jig saw puzzle, coat and boot rack for our riding gear and a clothes line for our pool towels. I use the happijac bed for my tools and other paraphernalia. All the junk that would clutter up the living area is confined to the garage - we don't even use the front door - keeps the dirt out of the place.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff. Interesting to read how people use their toy haulers for things other than "big toys".
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine for Professional Fireworks Displays. I only haul gear for shows when needed in mine. No quads or side by sides at this time.