cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running your propane Refrigerators while traveling?

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard that running your Fridg on gas while traveling is dangerous. They say it can start fires.

So...What do you do?
Terry Witt
127 REPLIES 127

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:
Been gone from this Forum for five years and I see this question still is being posted. Life is grand! LOL!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

On a regular basis...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Been gone from this Forum for five years and I see this question still is being posted. Life is grand! LOL!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
I just drove from Missouri to California. Unfortunately, I did see a burnt up trailer. It looked like a 90's class A and it appeared it burned from the engine back, so it probably wasn't the fridge. I just hope everyone made it out OK

Yes, letโ€™s hope so.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove from Missouri to California. Unfortunately, I did see a burnt up trailer. It looked like a 90's class A and it appeared it burned from the engine back, so it probably wasn't the fridge. I just hope everyone made it out OK

:B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from 2000 mile trip. Didnโ€™t see any burnt up RVs. Mine didnโ€™t go up in flames, either.
But my beer and ciders were cold.
Just lucky, I guess.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
DM6156 wrote:
On a related note, at least in Georgia..

RULES OF SAFETY FIRE COMMISSIONER
CHAPTER 120-3-11
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR FLAMMABLE AND COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS

120-3-11-.07 Standards for Transportation of Flammable and Combustible Liquids by other than Tank Vehicle.

Vehicles shall be in good operating condition and shall not be overloaded. Every vehicle regularly used for transporting flammable or combustible liquids shall be equipped with at least one fire extinguisher having a rating of 20-BC, permanently mounted and readily accessible to the driver.

Make sure you have the appropriate fire extinguisher.

I had to research what 20-BC meant...
https://www.bettendorf.org/egov/docs/1160167747_549163.pdf

Also, while I can't find the exact code, but there is a limit of the number of cylinders a single vehicle can transport. I have found reference to this in several places, but not found the exact number. I had a conversation with a friend who went with some buddies to local store to fill up their cylinders before a 2 week trip last fall and the rep told them they had too many cylinders by law in a single vehicle.

I suspect that statute applies to commercial trucks hauling cylinders of welding gas, rather than RVers.

there is a different section that applies to commerical vehicles. Also, if you notice the wording...

120-3-11-.07 Standards for Transportation of Flammable and Combustible Liquids by other than Tank Vehicle.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
tjschaefer wrote:
Its not propane refrigerators that start fires, its people that aren't aware of what they are doing that start fires. Common sense goes a long ways.

Not to be disagreeable, but what lack of common sense occurs when an RVer is sitting outside of their 5 year old RV, and all of a sudden their Norcold 1200LRIM bursts into flames and totals their RV?

Please don't try to put failure of a poorly engineered frig onto the backs of unsuspecting users. Say all the bad things you want about the manufacturer, but consumers should have a reasonable expectation that RV appliances should not suddenly burst into flames and destroy their home when all the owner did was operate the appliance according to the manufacturers instructions.
Well, you are being disagreeable.
I find no mention in this thread of the scenario you describe.... Zero, NADA.

If this is something you want to discuss, perhaps you should start your own thread about it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
For 14 years in two different TT's. the only time we turn it off is tunnels. There is something with the extra pressure of going under water that might cause a problem otherwise its on from the moment we disconnect n the driveway until we get where we are going. From the Maine to Fla. Thousands and thousands of miles and never a blip.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:

Not to be disagreeable, but what lack of common sense occurs when an RVer is sitting outside of their 5 year old RV, and all of a sudden their Norcold 1200LRIM bursts into flames and totals their RV?

This has nothing to do with the OP's original question. He asked about safety concerns regarding running down the road with the propane fridge on. Again, please offer up one, just one, case where this has happened. If the fridge you described did indeed spontaneously combust while parked in a campground it really isn't applicable to the discussion. Using logic here, your story would let people believe that you shouldn't have a fridge at all!
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
tjschaefer wrote:
Its not propane refrigerators that start fires, its people that aren't aware of what they are doing that start fires. Common sense goes a long ways.

Please don't try to put failure of a poorly engineered frig onto the backs of unsuspecting users. Say all the bad things you want about the manufacturer, but consumers should have a reasonable expectation that RV appliances should not suddenly burst into flames and destroy their home when all the owner did was operate the appliance according to the manufacturers instructions.

Many of the problems are due to improper installation by the RV manufacturers.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Larry Cad,

Well said! Flu temperatures of 700 degrees are stupid design and have nada to do with operator error.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
tjschaefer wrote:

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

tjschaefer
Explorer
Explorer