cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something I just noticed about GMs new truck mirrors.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Those new mirrors are mounted in a way that creates more visibility next to the pillar. If you compare with other trucks you will see how open it is for the driver to see through. I think the New heavy dutys will really have even m ore visibility. No big shroud in the way where you could loose a small car in on a left . This is just my opinion, but would love hear if anyone agrees??
23 REPLIES 23

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:

Click For Full-Size Image.

you mean to tell me the rear quarter fenders are not aluminum? WTF GM? the rear quarters are the first thing to rot out. Ford makes nearly the whole body out of aluminum
https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/trucks-equipment/is-the-aluminum-body-pickup-really-new-or-unique_o

yet GM does next to nothing. this company is a joke

Community Alumni
Not applicable
mooky stinks wrote:

Could be because they might still have the optional camper mirrors that would still mount there?

Looks like the mounting holes are missing in the new body. Looks like there's only slots for the blanking panel. There's no towing mirror for the 1500s. Only a trailer camera system that gives you a towing mirror view. The mirror on the 2500 in the previously posted picture is a towing mirror. If you wanted to switch to the old style, you'd have a pretty big hole to fill in the door.

Click For Full-Size Image.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
... And those Ram trucks with the dumbo ear mirrors can be seen regularly too. ..

Actually those mirrors are "moose antlers"
Bob

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
It's weird that they didn't do something with the old mounting location beyond sticking a black blanking panel there. Seems like it would've been easy enough just to extend the glass into that area and give you a little more visibility out of the window. They would probably have to rework the top corners of the dash in order to make it useable.

Could be because they might still have the optional camper mirrors that would still mount there?
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It's weird that they didn't do something with the old mounting location beyond sticking a black blanking panel there. Seems like it would've been easy enough just to extend the glass into that area and give you a little more visibility out of the window. They would probably have to rework the top corners of the dash in order to make it useable.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I drive a semi and I drove one of our newest Freightliner's and the pass mirror placement DOES create a HUGE blindspot right next to the door and A pillar. My '15 Freightliner doesn't have it. Only real diff between the 2 is the '15 has non opening "vent" window and the new one doesn't. So perhaps GM did do the same.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
There is a Youtube video with a GM guy explaining why they moved the mirrors on the new trucks down to the side of the door. It was to improve aerodynamics and reduce cab wind noise. As air passes around the truck it accelerates around the old pilar location point. You have a high concentration of air moving at a very fast rate in that old mount location.

wow someone at the truck dept should have just talked to people at the SUV dept. they've had a quiet cabin for near 2 years.

did you happen to notice the push button start wonder if the 2025 redesign trucks will have they feature??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sMzugMIFQ

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The video I saw from the .5 ton chief engineer claimed the new mirror design was to improve visibility.

Bottom line for me is after seeing the new .5 ton Chevy trucks in the wild I don't care for the looks both the exterior and interior. As for the new Chevy HD truck I don't like what I see in the pictures, but will reserve final judgment until I can see one.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Never thought about the new placement for aerodynamics. That does make sense. Will have to see how mpg are compared to the others.

You would be hard pressed to attribute any mpg differences between the various trucks based on the mirror profile.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I find all the new 4 door short bed pickup trucks to look strange. Long body, no cargo box.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought about the new placement for aerodynamics. That does make sense. Will have to see how mpg are compared to the others.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's a good reason for sure.....but let's just keep with the rvnet bickering that they forgot mirrors and had to add them later!
No one on here wants to hear about common sense and engineering, it's not controversial enough to make for good old man bitsching!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Youtube video with a GM guy explaining why they moved the mirrors on the new trucks down to the side of the door. It was to improve aerodynamics and reduce cab wind noise. As air passes around the truck it accelerates around the old pilar location point. You have a high concentration of air moving at a very fast rate in that old mount location.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Do people really pass over a truck based on how the fender wells are shaped? From 83 to 93 the Ford Ranger had the same wheel well design and they sold large numbers of those trucks. And those Ram trucks with the dumbo ear mirrors can be seen regularly too. Most consumers overlook those controversial design decisions.

Its not just the looks. Squared off GM fenders have always been the hardest of the big 3 to get a larger tire underneath the truck without rubbing.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch