cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing power awning while in transit

harry_and_thea
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard about a friend of my brother's whose awning on his fifth wheel started coming out while he was driving. He has a new high end trailer so I'm sure it must have been a power awning. Heard this second hand from my brother so I don't know the particulars.
My last trailer had a manual awning which I felt was fairly secure. Ever since I got my current trailer with the power awning I always wonder about the possibility of the awning coming out while travelling. It would only take two strands of the wire going to the switch to come together to make this happen. Any one ever hear of this happening? Any safeguards that can be taken?
Harry and Thea
2016 F 250 cc short box
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS
21 REPLIES 21

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Esacnj wrote:
I installed 3 of the awning locks shown on travel trailers with manual awnings. On all 3 the hole and pin wound up in a different position (not lining up) each time awning was closed leaving them useless. I contacted the manufacturer several times and got no response.

I've found that the awning length and thus final rolled up and stowed point varies with temperature so the hole you've drilled will end up in a different place if the temp and sun are different from the day you did the install. Installation on two trailers have been close enough but I have had to do some wiggling to get the pin to engage on cold mornings.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
billyboy wrote:
whats wrong with using the gadget that looks like a plastic chain that goes around the center of the awning and ties it to the wall.

Does it prevent the roller from turning? If not, it won't work.
It does indeed work, it's available in black or white, and can be latched/unlatched from the ground using your standard awning rod. It also doesn't matter if the awning rolls up a bit tighter or looser, or a bit to one side or the other.

After almost losing an awing 20 years ago when a high wind coming in at about 2:00 overcame the cam mechanism and started unrolling my awning (even though the legs were locked against the side of the RV), I made a similar unit out of metal. The downside was that I had to get up on the roof to latch/unlatch it, but at least it worked. With my current RV, I bought the Camco unit, so I can now latch/unlatch it from the ground. After going through the first "near loss", I will never again drive an RV without the wrap-around type latch; it's cheap and easy insurance vs a very expensive alternative.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Careless power awning started to unwind one day on the interstate. The problem was the very cheap pot metal end cap stripped on the motor shaft flat spot.

Fortunately I saw it - something about checking the rear view mirrors every 7 seconds - pulled over and secured in with ropes. Later it was removed, drilled and pinned. I did find a vendor part with a double flat spot but chose to modify mine.

The awning has a metal cover and as such I believe it's fairly wind resistant to unwinding unless there is a failure like above.

However when parked and extended it has almost no wind resistance. Basically Careless junk.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, ours did unfurl on its own. Well maybe the 50 or 60 MPH gust that hit that side might have been part of the problem. I know nothing about the electric awnings so maybe my answer doesn't apply.

I used a piece of steel rod, 3/8" I believe and bent about 5" on a right angle, that goes in the tube and the other end wraps part way around the arms.Velcro holds it firmly in place and it can be removed easily.

Not pretty but effective. My awning has the metal sungard on it.

I thought about the Awning Lock that IAMICHABOD posted but didn't have time to sit and wait for delivery while on the road. I still may do it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
billyboy wrote:
whats wrong with using the gadget that looks like a plastic chain that goes around the center of the awning and ties it to the wall.

Does it prevent the roller from turning? If not, it won't work.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Esacnj wrote:
I followed the instructions exactly. Sometimes I could force the roller by hand and get the pin to fall in but most often it would be too far off. As said, frustrating part was that I could get no response from supplier.

Good to know. Thanks.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
I followed the instructions exactly. Sometimes I could force the roller by hand and get the pin to fall in but most often it would be too far off. As said, frustrating part was that I could get no response from supplier.
Esacnj

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Esacnj wrote:
I installed 3 of the awning locks shown on travel trailers with manual awnings. On all 3 the hole and pin wound up in a different position (not lining up) each time awning was closed leaving them useless. I contacted the manufacturer several times and got no response.

Did you offset the hole location? From the company FAQ:

The instructions for installing the RV Awning Travel Lock say that the hole in the end cap should be drilled 1/8" clockwise from the location of the pin. Why the offset?

As much as we would like it to happen, the awning will not roll up and stop at exactly the same position each time. There are simply too many variables which can effect the position, among them strap position, procedure used, temperature, moisture, wind, and spring tension.

If the hole were at the exact location where we thought or hoped the pin would be, if it were off a little bit in one direction it would not fall into place. By offsetting the hole a little bit (1/8"), the pin can usually be seated with just a gentle tug on the awning strap if off in that direction.

To summarize, the offset increases the chances that the pin will fall into the hole either directly or with a small tug on the strap.

Not saying you did it wrong. I'm considering purchasing one of these things, but if they're a problem to install...
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Esacnj

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
This can indeed happen if the motor's built in brake fails. When that happens, there's nothing to stop the roller from turning. Tying down the arms will not help.

There are many aftermarket solutions and a few DIY ones as well. This one looks good, and it can be released without climbing a ladder or getting on the roof.

Awning Lock
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had an awning unfurl on me and hope I never do. I'd love to have one of those awning locks on my current camper, but to unhook it, the awning is over 11 feet high, impossible to reach it without a very tall ladder. So, counting my blessings. I can't wrap a bungee cord around it either as it's all flat against the wall of the camper. So, hopefully, I'll continue my travels trouble free.

I couple years ago I was driving around Indianapolis on I-465 (East side) when a travel trailer rig was right in front of me and I saw the awning start unfurling. I attempted to pass them, honked my horn at them. They were an older couple and they quite apparently were very upset I was attempting to flag them down.

I ended up passing them and then started slowing down in front of them. I could tell they were really mad at me. I slowed them down and stuck my hand out the window above the roof of my truck pointing to the side of the road and started moving over. They did follow and I finally got them to stop.

I got out and he got out yelling at me what the "H***" was I doing and I (well, I had not choice...) yelled back at him his awning was unrolling. He stormed to the other side of the trailer and his attitude changed IMMEDIATELY!

I had a 7 foot step ladder in my truck bed, I had bungee cords and wire, and I help him secure the awning, which by now was destroyed, the arms were bent and it was a mess. But we got it secured so he could continue traveling.

So yes, it can and does happen.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never had that problem.. First the motor has a brake on it. it is an electro-mechanical brake. held "ON" by a spring. pulled off by an electro magnet when you hit the switch.

I Have. however. heard of a bad switch that did not release (Burned out two motors before the tech found it) I was "First tech" on that warranty job but I don't do major repairs and this was major ($400 dollars in parts plus 1 hr). since I work for coffee not money. I diagnosed bad motor. Did an emergency retraction and called the professional.

Now my awning. Since my wife liked to sit out under the awning and I don't. I'm too busy in here with computers.. I zip tied the thing closed. Top and bottom

THEY MAKE REUSABLE ZIP TIES.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have a remote that opens slides and awning. I had it in my back pocket and the slide started to open. It was like i pocket dialed it. I always put it away before travel now never in my pocket driving down the road.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog