Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riddle Me This Batman; Low Frequency Hum: SOLVED

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
...in the sticks and bricks that is.

In one of our rear bedrooms, if you stand in a certain spot, there is a low frequency hum that can be heard. Drives the wife crazy. Not loud, but a soft hum. Sounds like some sort of electrical hum and I can't tell where it's coming from. In that part of the house, there is nothing in the attic and nothing unusual in the walls.

To see if it was something hidden and electrical, I turned off the power to the house. The hum is still there. What say you Batman?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
68 REPLIES 68

MrWizard
i did not hear anything
but i know about my hearing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't hear it from that link. My wife however, down stairs in the kitchen fixing dinner hollered at me what the hell is that!! Ha!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Problem is solved; the hum came back this morning right at 9:00 am. By chance, the wife walked into a far area of the back yard and heard the hum. It was coming near a block wall on the rear of the property. I looked over the block wall and discovered the source. It was from a neighbor's pool pump. Not the neighbor's pool directly behind us; his pump was off. It was the neighbor NEXT DOOR TO HIM, and not directly behind us! Same sounds, same frequency.

Thanks for all the suggestions from those who offered help.

Yup ... that's California for ya! Not all places in the world need pool pumps turned on in the winter! (Mine's on as I write this ... but no hum from it at least per my current ears' frequency response.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My hearing sensitivity

What's that noise?

Behind the rear fence

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is solved; the hum came back this morning right at 9:00 am. By chance, the wife walked into a far area of the back yard and heard the hum. It was coming near a block wall on the rear of the property. I looked over the block wall and discovered the source. It was from a neighbor's pool pump. Not the neighbor's pool directly behind us; his pump was off. It was the neighbor NEXT DOOR TO HIM, and not directly behind us! Same sounds, same frequency.

Thanks for all the suggestions from those who offered help.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:

Just play this sound and see if it's about the same frequency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Sf7rSOU78

Just for fun I tried that link... 60 HZ is below the low frequency cutoff on my audio amp. NO SOUND. just a couple clicks.

Oh well.. (HP Chromebook) I know what it sounds like and have other devices that can do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, not to steal this thread but was unable to get past the dreaded verification robot - after numerous failed attempts, I posted over here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29802963/gotomsg/29802963/p/1.cfm#29802963

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
many years ago I heard of people with certain types of fillings in their teeth would have radio stations and music in their heads. Not sure if that is the same with you or not. And when I was in the Navy my ship had a fathomator and I was the only one who could hear it ping and answer no less. one night out of a deep sleep the ping increased, don't know if a sub or a whale went under the ship. sorry but at least I knew what caused the noise in my head.

That happens to be true. It happened to a number of people the most famous was Lucille Ball. Lucy was hearing people talking Japanese through one of her fillings on her teeth. That led to the authorities busting an underground Japanese spy station broadcasting in Hollywood.This was during WW2 of course.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
many years ago I heard of people with certain types of fillings in their teeth would have radio stations and music in their heads. Not sure if that is the same with you or not. And when I was in the Navy my ship had a fathomator and I was the only one who could hear it ping and answer no less. one night out of a deep sleep the ping increased, don't know if a sub or a whale went under the ship. sorry but at least I knew what caused the noise in my head.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
pull the meter actually out of the socket and see if its there.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
There are hand held spectrum unit you can buy to isolate the frequency. Press your hand in the middle of each pane of glass, both inside and outside, and see if it affects it. Glass can resonate at times.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
PaulJ2 wrote:
To track this down, the very first requirment is to verify the frequency of the sound. Is it 60 hertz, 30 hertz, 10 hertz, etc. Then you will have a chance to start looking for a source.

Makes sense. How would I do that?

Since no one followed up on an early in this thread suggestion with link for a downloadable audio frequency analyzer I suppose that vital assistance was rejected.

Hey Mex, sorry I missed that. I downloaded the program and will try to figure out how to use it.

Just play this sound and see if it's about the same frequency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Sf7rSOU78

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tectonic Q-Waves. Preceding a New Madrid Mo megaquake (The worst in 48 state history). The last quake has the Mississippi running backwards for over a day.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gnus Article Today

CHICAGO (CBS)โ€”It sounds like an alarm clock that doesnโ€™t stop.

Thatโ€™s how people living and working in Chicagoโ€™s Lakeview neighborhood describe a mysterious hum in the air.

Theyโ€™re asking, โ€œWhat is it? And why canโ€™t everyone hear it?โ€

Even though the noise is subtle, itโ€™s been driving some people between Clark and Halsted streets crazy. They hear it in the morning, noon, and night, and theyโ€™ve been looking for an explanation.

The sounds of city life echo through Lakeview, but lately something sounds strange.

Lakeview resident Lindsey Hoffman couldnโ€™t ignore the noise as she walked down a usually-quiet street with her son Joey on Thursday.

โ€œI hear it right now,โ€ she said.

Another Lakeview resident, Stephanie Boroski, described the noise as high-pitched.

โ€œLike an alarm sound, like a pulse but not really,โ€ Boroski said.

The sound can feel โ€œmaddening,โ€ Boroski said.

The mysterious noise has been reverberating through Facebook message boards too.

But somehow not everyone can hear it. Five-year-old Joey Hoffman said he heard nothing unusual.

Andersonville resident Kate Korte said she couldnโ€™t hear the strange sound. Korte, who works in Lakeview, speculated that the sound probably blends in with the usual city noise.

โ€œMaybe I am just muted because I live in the area and hear sirens,โ€ Korte said.

Audiologist Dr. Akbar Razvi said some people hear sounds that others canโ€™t because everyoneโ€™s hearing sensitivity is different.

โ€œPeople can have hearing loss at different frequencies and some people can of course have normal hearing sensitivity,โ€ he said.

Dr. Razvi said learning what the sound really is requires detective work.

Boroski said she walked around a Lakeview parking lot to try to determine where the noise was coming from, but she couldnโ€™t figure it out.

A man who lives in a high rise on the 800 block of Grace thinks he has the answer: a massive air circulation unit on the buildingโ€™s third-floor garage.

Residents nearby say theyโ€™re convinced itโ€™s to blame.

โ€œThe noise is definitely that machineโ€“thatโ€™s the noise we have been hearing,โ€ Stephanie Wide said.

Building management informed residents that they have scheduled a servicing for the fan that circulates air on all floors of the high rise.