cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NATCOA?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
What the heck is that? I got my latest e-mail issue of Truck Camper Magazine and there was an article in there about NATCOA and how the member is free now.

Never knew it cost anything because I'm not and never have been a member (like I'm not a Good Sam Member either). Never have been one to pay for or want a membership in anything, Amy and I are loners.

Guess if you like campground camping and people next door, it's all good but we bought a TC to camp remote not in a campground. In fact, the only time we do stay in any campground is on a planned long distance trip and then it's one night.

So anyway, what is NATCOA?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
53 REPLIES 53

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I posted the question and got 6 pages of replies(so far) and I've read every one of the and all are interesting, especially the detour on to forums and moderators and ethical comments.

I learned a lot and at almost 70, I was surprised.

Now I know what NATCOA is. Thanks to everyone...

I belong to a firearms forum and it has to be one of the best I've ever posted on. Very consistent moderation and I've become friends personally with many on the site, including the forum administrator and a couple mods too.

Thanks again for the lengthy explaination and the interesting detours too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
The problem with a moderator changing my post is that I didnโ€™t say what they changed it to. Iโ€™ve yet to see a mod get the point that I was making. Instead, it makes it look like I have a split personality or in some cases just stupid. Also, itโ€™s harder for the mod.

Iโ€™d rather my entire post be deleted. When I was a mod thatโ€™s what we did. Users learned to follow the rules really quickly.

I agree 100%. Delete my post if it violates forum rules, but don't change what I wrote.

Bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with a moderator changing my post is that I didnโ€™t say what they changed it to. Iโ€™ve yet to see a mod get the point that I was making. Instead, it makes it look like I have a split personality or in some cases just stupid. Also, itโ€™s harder for the mod.

Iโ€™d rather my entire post be deleted. When I was a mod thatโ€™s what we did. Users learned to follow the rules really quickly.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Does anyone on this forum believe this is NOT a commercial forum?? We all know who owns it.

Of course it is, but it's run like a forum should be run. ....

How can you tell that?
Can you see deleted replies and reasons why they have been deleted?

Bedlam
In some of the forums I moderate the word filter can be customized and we replace offensive language with something comical but with a similar meaning. The forums are family friendly, so some sayings have to be removed. Manual edits do take more time than deleting a post but worthwhile if there is good information provided.

We did have a case of a group of adults bullying others. Some were called out and stopped but others continued or increased their behavior. We gave them plenty of chances to make amends but some increased their activities. I would find shadow accounts and impersonations created just for malice. Usually a terse statement exposing them and locking accounts was required. Some of these members had good information to share but just couldnโ€™t follow house rules and had to be exhiled.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Does anyone on this forum believe this is NOT a commercial forum?? We all know who owns it.

Of course it is, but it's run like a forum should be run. That makes a huge difference.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
I am moderator on a diesel forum and learned to respect the good part of a post by only deleting bad words and/or flame portion. I found most often I don't have to delete the entire post, but sometimes rewrite a good portion of it.

This has an effect on cooperation and good will from others as well.

You do it on commercial forum?
All comercial forums do have agendas. Those can be more, or less honest.
So moderators have to make decisions between forum agendas and their personal opinions.
Only once it happens in all those years I frequent forums, where valuable member become moderator and he quit a week later after learning about the agendas.
That was on commercial forum who I prized as most fair on the market at the time. The adm was business owner, who had to be pressed to mention his business, even he was very active in chatting.
Here it did change over the years, but I still occasionally see the number of posts higher than actuall replies that you can read.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I am moderator on a diesel forum and learned to respect the good part of a post by only deleting bad words and/or flame portion. I found most often I don't have to delete the entire post, but sometimes rewrite a good portion of it.

This has an effect on cooperation and good will from others as well.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I also ran afoul of mods on iRV2.

Being a forum mod is pretty much a thankless job and I'm very appreciative of the folks who freely donate their time to be mods. But, nothing can screw up a forum faster than a nitpicking forum mod and unfortunately, they are way too common on all forums. To me, internet forums are living things and they need to breath. A nitpicking mod who hovers over every post just looking for an excuse to delete or edit it will smother a forum. Luckily for the rv.net TC forum users, we have never had that kind of mod here......... at least in my opinion.

I was the TC forum mod on iRV2 for several years before becoming the rv.net TC forum mod for 10 years. I believe it was Richard running it back in those days; he may still be running it. I had very few bad experiences on iRV2. The members were great and Richard was very supportive and helpful. I think that was partially due to iRV2 TC forum being pretty small with only a few posts each day. I don't know who the iRV2 TC forum mod is now or what their moderation philosophy is.

Having said that; one of the biggest and most common problem for a mod to deal with are people trying to use the forum for financial gain. All mods are on the look out for that, so any post which fits that description will be looked at closely. Its a problem which has been around since forums were created and it ain't going away anytime soon.

bradw
Wake Up America

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
Searching for information on Facebook is painful. Also there is no way to categorize threads into sections. I just think too much good data will get lost and the only ones that will benefit will be the ones running analytics and A.I. against the database.

I've foubd a way to set up "topics" so that posts can be categorized, but unless people actually add a topic to their post, info still gets lost, and is difficult to find.

People rarely use the "topics" selection when making a post in the FB groups I run.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Searching for information on Facebook is painful. Also there is no way to categorize threads into sections. I just think too much good data will get lost and the only ones that will benefit will be the ones running analytics and A.I. against the database.

Aye. The lack of an easily searchable database is a BIG downer.
Its a social group, nothing more, in my opinion.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
I was also a member of iRV2 for some time and a regular contributor. I am very much into video and document campgrounds and RV parks extensively on our 8 year old channel. I had posted a couple relevant videos based on the context of a particular thread and was then contacted by a moderator who accused me of using them to increase my views for the sake of generating revenue. I pointed out that none of the 360+ videos on the channel are monetized. All advertising is banned from my channel and that I have never made a penny from any of my videos. He said that he didn't believe me and I'd have to prove it to him. So I sent him screenshots from my YouTube account showing the status of the account along with the analytics showing $0.00 income earned. He replied that regardless he was deleting my posts with video links. I replied that perhaps he wasn't being fair and instead was facilitating a personal agenda. My account was cancelled that day :R

I also ran afoul of mods on iRV2. Every time I answered a question about an inspection, or recommended that someone get a pre-buy inspection, I was accused of advertising my inspection business. I came under increased scrutiny and since I don't do will under constant supervision, I quit.

They do however have an extensive owners forum which I found helpful, but was easily replaced by owners forums on Yahoo and FB.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
I avoided FB for many years and a friend kept insisting that I would like it if I joined. I told him setting up an account would be more trouble than it was worth. So he took it upon himself to create an account in my name and sent me the password. I decided to try it for 6 months in order to make an honest evaluation. In that time I accumulated about 75 friends, 14 of which I actually knew. I was inundated with advertising, political agendas and baby pictures and other overly emotional trivia from people I didn't really know. At the 6 month mark I deleted the account with no intention of ever going back. I just heard on the news this week that FB announced a breech in their system that allowed a third party to "steal" private pictures for their own use in September. They said it affected millions of users. Just another reason to stay away from FB.

I was also a member of iRV2 for some time and a regular contributor. I am very much into video and document campgrounds and RV parks extensively on our 8 year old channel. I had posted a couple relevant videos based on the context of a particular thread and was then contacted by a moderator who accused me of using them to increase my views for the sake of generating revenue. I pointed out that none of the 360+ videos on the channel are monetized. All advertising is banned from my channel and that I have never made a penny from any of my videos. He said that he didn't believe me and I'd have to prove it to him. So I sent him screenshots from my YouTube account showing the status of the account along with the analytics showing $0.00 income earned. He replied that regardless he was deleting my posts with video links. I replied that perhaps he wasn't being fair and instead was facilitating a personal agenda. My account was cancelled that day :R

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

I hate fb and the politics behind the folks running it. I've tried to use it in the past. Doesn't seem to be any rational thought went into setting up the format. I would say it looks like a couple of potheads put it together on a long weekend, but that would insulting to potheads every where. I just avoid it if at all possible.
Wake Up America