cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool down time for residential type ref ridge

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving tomorrow morning and wondering about cool down time for our ref ridge. It is a GE residential side-by-side. In the past I have cooled down units overnight but recently was told by someone that Residential ( domestic/house style) didn't need all that time.4-hours was enough time they said.

Is this true, can a start to cool at 0600AM and travel at 11:00???

Also, if I need to cool overbite, should I use the generator for power or just the house batteries??

Thanks in advance
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
20 REPLIES 20

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
HighwayJunky wrote:
I am parked in a lot with no hook-ups so power needs to come from the batteries, i.e. inverter, or generator.
I am most concerned with having a cool fridge when we start loading food around 11:00AM'ish..
When should the fridge be started?

Same with me- I have no hookup... what I have been doing is go over to the lot about 6-7 am and turn on the refer via the inverter. When I do that I put in a 24 pack of cold beer and a case of cold water. I come back about 10:00 and load the rest of the stuff, frozen items,meats, etc. Been working well for the last 5 years. I'll be doing it again next friday when we head to the Keys.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bruce_Brown
^^^ And there is the answer, check your manual.

We recently changed out the propane fridge at deer camp for an electric one. We only have generator power so we had wondered how good it would work. It cools in a couple of hours and holds cold for a long time.

I'm thinking it might be time to do our MH next.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Inverter use depends on the state of your batteries. If full they should do for 6 hours.

I'm surprised everyone thinks a couple hours is enough time for a proper cool down. We just purchased a GE bottom freezer model and the instructions say it can take up to 24 hours before the freezer and refrigerator are at the proper temperatures. Here's a quote from the manual:

START UP COOLING
It can take up to 24 hours for the freezer and refrigerator temperatures to match the display. During that time refrigerator and freezer door openings should be minimized.
TIPS
Freezer cools first. Refrigerator compartment cools last; it may take several hours after the freezer.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Inverter use depends on the state of your batteries. If full they should do for 6 hours.

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Decision made!! Majority wins, 2-3hrs before travel and loading is certainly plenty of time. Thanks to all who offered your upfront knowledge.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
2 hours is enough time for ours. Get up in the morning and turn it on with the inverter. By the time you're loaded to go it'll be cold enough. Leave the inverter on while traveling. Your coach will keep the batteries charged...I have two rules I follow; Keep it simple and Don't overthink it.....Dennis

But if we didn't overthink everything there wouldn't be any need for the forum. ๐Ÿ˜„

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you're putting cold/frozen food into it, just turn it on and start loading it up. Cooling an empty fridge is easy (for a residential type), it's cooling all of the mass inside which takes time. If you put cold things into it, you'll be fine.

Safe travels.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I've been "told" lots of things. How long does your residential fridge manufacturer say it will take to cool down? The cost savings of turning it on the day before or 4 hours ahead of time is minimal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advise. There is advise better than experienced RV'er!
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 hours is enough time for ours. Get up in the morning and turn it on with the inverter. By the time you're loaded to go it'll be cold enough. Leave the inverter on while traveling. Your coach will keep the batteries charged...I have two rules I follow; Keep it simple and Don't overthink it.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
But wait! Hereโ€™s the thing with an empty fridge. Cooling it down empty doesnโ€™t mean much: there is little thermal mass in it so if you put in a 18 pack of warm beer and a 12 pack of warm sodas, it wonโ€™t be cold anymore.

If your transferring cold stuff from your house fridge, ok. We pre cook and freeze stuff to take and Iโ€™ll put that in the fridge part to help cool the fridge. You can also put in some frozen blue ice.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of hours as long as you are putting cold food in it...

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
HighwayJunky wrote:
I am parked in a lot with no hook-ups so power needs to come from the batteries, i.e. inverter, or generator.
I am most concerned with having a cool fridge when we start loading food around 11:00AM'ish..

Two hours before you need it cold. Really an hour will do but to be on the safe side....

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints