Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle Nissan Armada

Texas51
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I have decided to get a travel trailer. I have I have a two year plan. Buy a tow vehicle early 2019 and the following year the trailer. I am considering the 2018 or 2019 Nissan Armada. I need a SUV with three rows and don't want to spend 60,000 on a expedition (I don't like them either) or the Tahoe. The Armada has a tow capacity of 8,500lbs. The bunk models I like are in the 3,500 - 5,000lbs 20ft-28ft. Does this seem like a safe setup? Would you recommend additional cooling? Anyone here have a similar setup?

I know buy a Doge Ram 3500 or 7ton truck that's my best bet but I really do not want a pickup.
34 REPLIES 34

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Texas51 wrote:
I wonder why no one is making a 3 row pickup or a pickup with a SUV body. Imagine a SUV on a F250 chasis with 3 rows. Not just for the camper trailer type. I would imagine other uses for it as well.

There was a SUV based on F250, the Excursion. 3 rowseating, available V10 gas and Turno diesel V8... until 2005 anyway. We still have the Suburban, but no longer the 2500 version since 2013 or so.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Texas51
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why no one is making a 3 row pickup or a pickup with a SUV body. Imagine a SUV on a F250 chasis with 3 rows. Not just for the camper trailer type. I would imagine other uses for it as well.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
My son's family is going through the same research process for an Armada. They need 6 total seats, minimum. With the kids growing, they will be at max cargo with tongue wt and no luggage. Does not look like the Armada will make the cut. We will be looking at trailers in a couple weeks, so he can get a realistic look at what trailers weigh that will suit their needs. They may end up taking two vehicles on trips, which is certainly not ideal.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Some of You guys could over analyze a grain of rice!
To tx51, you're talking 3rd row vs having a kid ride front and center. Have you tried that combo, putting your smallest crumb muncher between you n mama for an all day ride or 10?
Get the SUV if you need the seats. Or a van....but who wants to drive a NV3500 to work or the store???
A new Armada will pull a 3 ton trailer just fine. Set up the wdh, brakes, and go.

My son actually seems to prefer driving the van to his Frontier. He has a 20 minute commute, though. I have driven the van and it is comfortable. Maybe not like a plush SUV, but no SUV has the towing ability or the room of it, either.
A lot of people say that towing at the TVโ€™s max is a white knuckle drive. Not necessarily. I towed at our Frontierโ€™s max for years, with 2 cross country trips, with nary a problem. Definitely not white knuckle. Of course, that on depends on your definition of a WK drive.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser easily handles my 7500 lb. Arctic Fox. Rated tow capacity is 8500 lbs. It has the same 5.7L engine as a Tundra. And it's a LAND CRUISER for god's sake, not a whatmaycallit.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Texas51 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
All of his trailers start off with tongue weights in the 10% to 12% range. 12% is a reasonable number to use to calculate the loaded tongue weight for purposes of calculating payload and contemplating tow vehicles. 50 lbs of tongue weight one way or the other is not a catastrophe. Your opinion may vary.
And if it turns out that he is at 15% and over his TVs rating..... YOU will be writing the check for his new TV?

It's ok. It seems to be close. I would probably be fine with the Armada but I rather go over a bit than be right at the max. Let pretend I go over by 1 lbs. No big deal. It will not make a difference to be 1lbs over. Now I have a accident. Doesnt matter if the weight had nothing to do with it. I still went over the limit and I am sure you can face legal consequences for going over the weight. I reather be on the safe side just to be sure. On another forum some guy is towing a 6,500lbs trailer with a Armada. Toung weight at 1,000 lbs said he had no issues. I have no you t the Armada can do it. I just want to make sure it's safe and within the limits of the manufacturer.
I personally have never seen legal ramifications for being over weight. Like I said earlier it's about comfort level when towing. When your at max weight you feel every expansion joint in the concrete. It's more of a white-knuckle Drive. Crosswinds semi's passing braking ect. It's just a more pleasant experience towing long distance with more truck then you need, stress levels go down. It's your money and your decesion. Best of luck with your decesion.

Texas51
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
All of his trailers start off with tongue weights in the 10% to 12% range. 12% is a reasonable number to use to calculate the loaded tongue weight for purposes of calculating payload and contemplating tow vehicles. 50 lbs of tongue weight one way or the other is not a catastrophe. Your opinion may vary.
And if it turns out that he is at 15% and over his TVs rating..... YOU will be writing the check for his new TV?

It's ok. It seems to be close. I would probably be fine with the Armada but I rather go over a bit than be right at the max. Let pretend I go over by 1 lbs. No big deal. It will not make a difference to be 1lbs over. Now I have a accident. Doesnt matter if the weight had nothing to do with it. I still went over the limit and I am sure you can face legal consequences for going over the weight. I reather be on the safe side just to be sure. On another forum some guy is towing a 6,500lbs trailer with a Armada. Toung weight at 1,000 lbs said he had no issues. I have no you t the Armada can do it. I just want to make sure it's safe and within the limits of the manufacturer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of You guys could over analyze a grain of rice!
To tx51, you're talking 3rd row vs having a kid ride front and center. Have you tried that combo, putting your smallest crumb muncher between you n mama for an all day ride or 10?
Get the SUV if you need the seats. Or a van....but who wants to drive a NV3500 to work or the store???
A new Armada will pull a 3 ton trailer just fine. Set up the wdh, brakes, and go.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Texas51
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Texas51 wrote:
APT wrote:
Friends tow a 6200 pound dry TT with a 2018 Armada. Tows very well once WDH is adjusted. Yes, you may be slightly over GVWR/payload with a larger family, but it can tow well.

If you are looking at saving money, check out Nissan's NV3500. 2WD only and not as high end features available, but very good values, lots of payload, and same strong engine/trans as Armada.

WoW!! Your awesome. I looked at the NV200 a while ago as a camper van. Had no idea the NV3500 beast excited. That is a great idea. I appreciate the advice everyone. I ha e read alot but experience is a big factor so thanks! Anyone have any of the brands or models for the TTs I listed? You like them?

I have a 2014 Bullet 285RLS ( Rear Living /slide). It has a dry weight of 5650 and a tongue weight of 560 empty. I pull it with a 2013 Expedition XLT. It pulls it very well with plenty of power and very little sway.with an E2 WD hitch. Have owned it for 4 seasons and cannot say enough about the quality! It may be an Ultralite but have had no issues with any component! It has a 30' box with plenty of room and a 13 ft superslide! Only issue was a cracked plastic fender skirt that was easily replaced. Bullet is a higher quality and amenity model of Keystone trailers. I have never seen a negative review of Bullets even though there are numerous negative Keystone TT reviews of some other models.
Highly recommend a Bullet for a lot of room with minimum weight.

Yeah the bullet is very nice. We saw a one at a dealer and the quality was superior to some of the other brands out there. A trailer I did not list but also like is the Forest River Cherokee Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L. I am not a huge fan of all wood framing. I have read a couple horrer stories. Heard good things too. That's the main reason it's at the bottom of my list. As for my TV I am convinced it will be a Nissan Titan DX gas. I should have more than enough capacity to tow anything I am interested in. Also found some good deals on them 2017 25,000 miles for around 26,000 dollars. Prices vary but that's a good range for what I found.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Texas51 wrote:
APT wrote:
Friends tow a 6200 pound dry TT with a 2018 Armada. Tows very well once WDH is adjusted. Yes, you may be slightly over GVWR/payload with a larger family, but it can tow well.

If you are looking at saving money, check out Nissan's NV3500. 2WD only and not as high end features available, but very good values, lots of payload, and same strong engine/trans as Armada.

WoW!! Your awesome. I looked at the NV200 a while ago as a camper van. Had no idea the NV3500 beast excited. That is a great idea. I appreciate the advice everyone. I ha e read alot but experience is a big factor so thanks! Anyone have any of the brands or models for the TTs I listed? You like them?

I have a 2014 Bullet 285RLS ( Rear Living /slide). It has a dry weight of 5650 and a tongue weight of 560 empty. I pull it with a 2013 Expedition XLT. It pulls it very well with plenty of power and very little sway.with an E2 WD hitch. Have owned it for 4 seasons and cannot say enough about the quality! It may be an Ultralite but have had no issues with any component! It has a 30' box with plenty of room and a 13 ft superslide! Only issue was a cracked plastic fender skirt that was easily replaced. Bullet is a higher quality and amenity model of Keystone trailers. I have never seen a negative review of Bullets even though there are numerous negative Keystone TT reviews of some other models.
Highly recommend a Bullet for a lot of room with minimum weight.
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Your 15% tongue weight numbers are way overblown. 12% is more realistic, and all you need is 10%.

I use 15% as a worst case scenario calculation when figuring capability. I do weigh to know the numbers for sure. My TT was right at 11%. My POP UP camper weighed 2,900 wet and had a 450 lb tongue weight. No matter how I loaded it 450 was the lowest I could get it. That was 15.5% at its lowest.

There are some trailers that are tongue heavy and there just isnโ€™t a lot you can do about it. Figure heavy and if it turns out to be lighter and closer to 10% thatโ€™s great. Not all campers can get to 10%

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids bought the Nissan 3500 van and love it. They took out the 4th seat and have a large area behind the 3rd seat. Pulls their 26โ€™ camper โ€œlike it isnโ€™t thereโ€. They were thinking about a Tahoe and got this for about 25k less and have not regretted it one bit.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch