cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best battery

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new battery for the fiver, I only camp with full hookups. I still would like the best longest lasting battery possible. My last Wally world battery only lasted 15 months. Suggestions please. Thanks, Will
44 REPLIES 44

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
East Penn/Deka makes a good battery at a reasonable price.
If you can't find the Deka brand locally, the Duracell ones at Sams club are made by them.
The Walmart one you had is made by Johnson Controls, and is a decent battery.
I Have one going on 5 years old and still working well.
This is why everyone is asking about your rig, converter etc.
If the power converter in your rig is not a "smart" charger, and is overcharging the batteries, it will boil them dry over time and kill the batteries prematurely.
On the other hand, if you leave the trailer unplugged for periods of time, and the batteries are discharged, this will also kill the batteries prematurely.

The best case scenario, is to have a Power converter with a smart charger, like Progressive Dynamics, and leave the trailer plugged in whenever possible.
This will keep the batteries charged at their optimal level.
Check the water level in the batteries regularly, and top off with distilled water.
In the off season, I take my batteries out and keep them in the garage on a battery maintainer over the winter.

With proper maintenance, you should have no trouble getting 4 or 5 years out of any of the decent name brand batteries.
Deka
Interstate
JCI (walmart/AC Delco, etc)
Trojan

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I too like Costco for a particular reason. Absolutely hassle-free exchanges or refunds within the warranty period. The best deal on a battery is the one that satisfies you the buyer.

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
I get all my batteries at Costco, interstate with a great warranty. I use 2 gc-2 6v's.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There IS NO SINGLE BEST BATTERY

Best Food
Best Political Party
Best Camping
Best RV
Best home design
Best place to live

BEST is utterly dependent on a user's circumstances

Only ignorant boors, twist arms and shout in another person's ear that their choice is the only choice. I've had it done to me and my eyes start searching for a claw hammer.

Writing a single paragraph science thesis in college is a good way to end up with a 2.0 grade or lower. Only specific mathematics can tolerate a solid singular response.

I had (past tense) a 50+ year friend from prior to high school who slowly but surely became a micro-managing control freak. I wished him good luck. Nine years later he suffered a stroke after a verbal tantrum that included veins standing out and bulging eyes (according to his son). Such intolerance is a personality disorder, God help the people working under him...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I've been fortunate to not have experienced kidney stones, I'm not taking any chances. I'll just say for mostly pwr pl hk up, the Interstate Marine/RV has worked well for me.

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No No Advice zone?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
In favor of OP's comment.............just wanted opinions on best battery. Though I'm aware it's hard not to want to save the world on tech subjects that we're skilled in.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

I wouldn't waste my time on someone that does not want friendly advice.
Absolute waste of time and effort!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:
I need a new battery for the fiver, I only camp with full hookups. I still would like the best longest lasting battery possible. My last Wally world battery only lasted 15 months. Suggestions please.

Reading between the lines I'd guess there were times you didn't plug your 5th into shore power when it was parked & not being used and didn't disconnect the battery so parasitic draws in the rig wouldn't unnecessarily deplete the battery as the rig was just sitting there. The solution to that issue is to always plug in whenever the rig is just sitting there so the converter can maintain the battery OR disconnect the battery entirely, either by physically removing the negative cable or installing a battery disconnect switch. In a later post you mentioned probably not watering your current battery properly, something many of us are guilty of, but the solution is easy - invest in an AGM battery that's sealed and needs no watering. In your case, because you always camp with full hookups, there's no reason to need anything more than a single G24 battery, any brand of your choice. I've found DEKA brand batteries manufactured by East Penn, also sold in the US as Duracell branded batteries, to be reliable and suggest would be a decent choice for your application.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Explorer II
Explorer II
LMAO. I just recovered from a kidney stone. Now I get another one? I highly recommend cranberry juice
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
To all the folks who responded on topic with good information on BATTERIES Thank You. For all the smart a$$ folks with internet courage thanks for nothing and I hope santa gives you all kidney stones for Christmas.

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The fastest way to commit "battricide" is to under charge the battery while deep cycling it.

The 2nd fastest way is to constantly over charge the battery.

15 months life span with constant plug in, should be a 'hint' that there is a defect in the charging method.

Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:
I'm not sure anything is missing lol, I have full hookups at home. The keystone copper canyon 5er is plugged up from time to time as all 6-8 of my previous TT and 5ers have been. I am not sure of type of converter lol. I only asked for best battery . I am 99% my system is functioning properly but I guess asking a simple question has become increasingly difficult on this forum. Some folks can't or won't simply answer the question asked. Thanks anyway.
I did not say it was constantly plugged in but what ever.

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:
I need a new battery for the fiver, I only camp with full hookups. I still would like the best longest lasting battery possible. My last Wally world battery only lasted 15 months. Suggestions please. Thanks, Will
You probably killed it. You can do that to any battery.

Do you maybe know how the battery was killed?

Otherwise the WM battery is fine.
You are correct I probably did because I did not check the water level.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
NAPA have worked well for us
2010 Suncruiser