What would also be the best hitch for this do you all think

Thanks for any help
64 REPLIES 64

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Firetraveler wrote:
OP here

Just to update everyone we have decided against this tow setup. I appreciate all of the help, and we are going to a light weight 5th wheel and 3/4 ton truck.

I feel the expy could pull the trailer but no room left over.

Safe travels everyone

An extraordinarily reasonable conclusion found amidst a bunch of crazy antics. Well done and good luck!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha, OP got so tired of the bickering he bought a completely different setup!!
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I give up! I'm done with this one.
Barney

X2
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Firetraveler
Explorer
Explorer
OP here

Just to update everyone we have decided against this tow setup. I appreciate all of the help, and we are going to a light weight 5th wheel and 3/4 ton truck.

I feel the expy could pull the trailer but no room left over.

Safe travels everyone

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I give up! I'm done with this one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rjstractor wrote:

Yet another important factor is that if the WD hitch is adjusted correctly, the entire hitch weight is not carried by the vehicle alone- a portion of that hitch weight is transferred back onto the trailer axles.

This is incorrect.

A WD hitch does not transfer weight to the trailer axles.

What it does do is shift some of the hitch weight from the rear axle to the front axle.
Ummm. Run your rig across the scales. Get axle by axle weights, with and without WD.

Then get back to us.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarneyS wrote:
Valhalla,
What do you think happens when you draw up the chains and apply WD to the hitch? Do they not pull down on the A frame? If so, where does that "pulling down" force go if not back to the trailer axles?

As I said, the Hitch Weight is the combined result of the two forces. It's already accounted for.

In addition you posted:
There is an upward force on the socket the ball goes into and and a downward force there the bar is connect at the back of the "A" frame. The addition of those two forces (subtraction in reality) is the hitch weight as the result is the force pushing down on the truck. . (my bold)

The thing you are forgetting in your description is you are not accounting for the force (weight) leveraged off of the front axle when the trailer tongue is dropped on the ball. Where do you think that weight goes?
Barney

The leverage from a non-WD hitch transfers weight from the front axle to the rear axle of the truck. It doesn't transfer to or away from the trailer.

Where you are getting confused is WD Hitches typically carry higher hitch weights...of course if you increase the hitch weight, it takes load off the trailer axles (all else being the same).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Valhalla,
What do you think happens when you draw up the chains and apply WD to the hitch? Do they not pull down on the A frame? If so, where does that "pulling down" force go if not back to the trailer axles?

In addition you posted:
There is an upward force on the socket the ball goes into and and a downward force there the bar is connect at the back of the "A" frame. The addition of those two forces (subtraction in reality) is the hitch weight as the result is the force pushing down on the truck. . (my bold)

The thing you are forgetting in your description is you are not accounting for the force (weight) leveraged off of the front axle when the trailer tongue is dropped on the ball. Where do you think that weight goes?
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarneyS wrote:
Valhalla,
You really need to study that linked sticky thread carefully! Your last statement is completely wrong.
Barney

No you need to read my comment.

If the hitch weight is unchanged, the weight on the trailer wheels is unchanged.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Valhalla,
You really need to study that linked sticky thread carefully!
Barney

Lots of people know how to set up their WD hitch, and how to dial it in so it works perfectly. But few understand the actual physics behind it.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Valhalla,
You really need to study that linked sticky thread carefully! Your last statement is completely wrong.
Barney
Not towing now.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoundGuy wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Yet another important factor is that if the WD hitch is adjusted correctly, the entire hitch weight is not carried by the vehicle alone- a portion of that hitch weight is transferred back onto the trailer axles.

valhalla360 wrote:
This is incorrect.

A WD hitch does not transfer weight to the trailer axles.

What it does do is shift some of the hitch weight from the rear axle to the front axle.

Sorry to say but you are incorrect - a properly sized and adjusted weight distribution hitch does transfer some weight to the TV front steer axle plus some back to the trailer's axle(s). Weight Distribution 101. 😉

How WD Really Works

You are playing at semantics that really aren't true.

There is an upward force on the socket the ball goes into and and a downward force there the bar is connect at the back of the "A" frame. The addition of those two forces (subtraction in reality) is the hitch weight as the result is the force pushing down on the truck.

The weight on the trailer axles must be equal to the weight of trailer minus the hitch weight...which is what the truck sees as additional payload.

For the same hitch weight, the trailer axles will see the same load (in a static condition) with or without WD.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not the moderator of this forum. Was just making a comment. 😉
Barney
Not towing now.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Lets not get into a semantics discussion. Although nobody but the poster above mentioned the term "tongue weight" I think most know what all of you mean.
Barney

What, we can't have 17 pages of head scratching, arguing, defining terms, and posts quoting 12 other comments???

Okay, you're the moderator... It's all covered in the sticky anyway. 🙂
1991 Palomino Filly PUP