cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter generator while boondocking

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 3400 inverter generator for when we go boondocking instead of using the on board generator of my bay star
I was looking at the 2000 watts but I wanted to be able to use the air conditioner and I felt the inverter generator was quieter then then the big one on my motorhome
Is there anyone else who does a setup like this with a 3000 watt inverter or are most people solver while boondocking
Thank You
23 REPLIES 23

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Onan Quiet Diesel in your Bay Star, just get a Gen-Turi exhaust stack. Those Quiet Diesels have a gentle pur out the exhaust that can be routed above the roof. Installing the Ven-Turi will be much less hassle then lugging around an extra generator and then figuring out where to store the gas can. Your on board diesel generator won't burn much more fuel than a portable gas generator.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Loved our Yamaha 2400isHC over the last few years. Used it to run our A/C with the travel trailer. Purchased a Class A with integrated generator and don't believe I will use the Yamaha again. It would be very rare that the difference in volume would be important.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
Yamaha has improved their 2400W model, which has become the EF2400iSHC, which now has even greater hard start capabilities.
Can't say enough good things about this generator. It's a lot more expensive than a Champion 3500W model, but it's lighter, uses less fuel per hour, and is FAR quieter.

I have to agree that 2400W-2800W starting (2000W-2500W running) is probably the "sweet spot" for most RVs. Kudo to Yamaha for recognizing this !

However, other than maintenance and possibly fuel consumption, it is much cheaper to buy 2 Champion 2000W inverter generators.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Roger in VERMONT wrote:
I must be missing something. Why would you not want to use your on board generator. It's better to use a generator than just letting it rest.

As most have said they are much louder,sometimes fumes go into rv and some vibrate the whole coach you have the option this way,

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We carried our Honda once when we had the Baystar, but decided it was too much hassle. But we don't stay in hot places if we can help it. In our opinion the a/c was noisier than the onboard Onan. It was hard to sleep for me with either the genny or the rear air going.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Easy answer...my 10KW Diesel is a lot louder that my 2000 watt inverter Generator!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
I must be missing something. Why would you not want to use your on board generator. It's better to use a generator than just letting it rest.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
The Yamaha EF2400iS was designed to run a 13,500 BTU A/C unit. You can do the same thing with 2 Honda 2KW generators running in parallel, but that setup costs more, and requires twice the maintenance.

Yamaha has improved their 2400W model, which has become the EF2400iSHC, which now has even greater hard start capabilities.

The 2400W model has an aluminum engine and frame. It weighs about 75 lbs. That's half of what the 3000W model weighs. I purchased my generator in 2006, and it still performs perfectly. Details of the testing I've done is here: http://www.2manytoyz.com/yamaha2400.html

I used it for years with our travel trailer.

I also have a larger Champion 7500W generator for home emergency power use. Because of the fuel consumption, and MUCH greater noise, I limit its use as much as possible. If I need to run the pool pump, water heater, dryer, etc., I'll fire it up, otherwise I'll use the Yamaha.

During the past two hurricanes, we powered appliances in my father's house with the Yamaha generator, when the grid went down.

Can't say enough good things about this generator. It's a lot more expensive than a Champion 3500W model, but it's lighter, uses less fuel per hour, and is FAR quieter. Every 3dB is twice the sound energy. The Yamaha is rated at 53-58 dB. The Champion is 68 dB. So at full load, the Yamaha is 58 dB, double the sound would be 61 dB, double it again, 64 dB, again, 67 dB. The Champion 7500W I have, is 74 dB! If you want a quiet generator, buy one up front. Don't buy a cheap one and think you can add a muffler to get the same sound performance. Many of us have tried... which is why I finally bought the Yamaha. :W
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Its kind of large and heavy, will it fit in your basement storage, or will you have to make other arrangements to carry it? You will need extra fuel also, getting it out of the main tank is not easy. Other than that, it should be a good unit. Lastly, if you are going to keep it in the basement, try loading and unloading a 94# sack of cement in the area, this may be your deciding factor.

It really isnโ€™t that bad to lift and it fits ok

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I wish I had gotten something between 2800(?) and 3400 instead of my Eu2000i.

CONCUR !

Around 3000W seems to be the "sweet spot", but the 3000W inverter generator are much bigger and heavier.

Whatever happened to Boliy ? They seem to have dried up and blown away ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The most important thing for any generator is to CHECK THE OIL LEVEL EVERY TIME YOU ADD GAS ! Also carry a spare spark plug. Get a "brand name" plug like NGK. Some of those Chinese plugs are really crappy.

Do your break in BEFORE you leave on your trip and run it under load (A/C) for at least 30 minutes after the break in.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
There are times when you can't time the weather perfectly so the ac is needed. In the morning we use a Honda 3000 for coffee etc and putting some of the big amps back in the bank then let the solar take over.

Run your mh Genny regularly but put the hours on the cheap Genny.

If I point the back of the truck away from us we sometimes forget ours is running. Some people come up with different ways to shield and quite them. Did you get remote start?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
When we are in close quarters and don't require Air, I use the Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen.....it does the trick to keep the batteries happy and run the fridge(residential) until quiet time.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wish I had gotten something between 288 and 3400 instead of my Eu2000i.
Live and learn!