cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank overflowed, figure out how

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
First, you're going to love this post because you get to tell me how stupid I was to rent out our beloved 27' Gulfstream Conquest class C, 2004.

There's also a mystery and whoever can solve it before the insurance adjuster gets to it wins a valuable prize*!

Here are the facts: I emptied both waste tanks, had my repair guy install a new valve on the black tank (old was was hard to move), filled fresh tank & sent off my renters to...a cold place.

RV came from Alaskan dealer via CO, we've never had anything on it freeze.

They're doing a 4 day trip in a rural mountainous location, visiting family & parking in the yard (their trip plan).

I showed them where the waste tank drains were, assured them that the gauges aren't trustworthy, and let them know that a gray tank overflow comes out in the shower but I don't expect them to experience that condition. If they do, they should let water out until it doesn't slosh over the edge then dump at first opportunity.

When I got the camper back, they told me that the black tank valve had frozen shut and they had overfilled it. As in, I opened the potty & there was sewage to the edge of the bowl.

The overflow had clearly ended up on the bathroom floor, based on odor (distinctive blend of sewage & tank deodorizer, like an un-serviced port-a-potty, you just wrinkled your nose because you know that smell).

Now the floor in the bathroom plus the 2 panels in front of the bathroom door are garbage--if you stand on that area, your feet sink 1cm into the substance that was formerly subfloor. Like, I left prints in the linoleum just now.

I've already called the insurance company, and my repair guy says it's totalled.

What possible explanation is there for HOW 2 people could, in 4 days, overflow a black tank? I'm reeling from the prospect that our camper is trash & would be less concerned about meeting w/adjuster if I had some type of credible story about how such an outcome could occur.

*The prize is, you get a free night in the next RV we rent out!
30 REPLIES 30

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting story... I've contemplated renting our unit out, and cold weather is my biggest fear.

You got lucky that they covered this -- if the subfloor was trashed to the degree you described, you might have been a slow leak elsewhere. When we ripped out the linoleum in our Minnie last summer, we found leak evidence in places I wouldn't have expected to see it. Nothing permanent aside from the stains.

And yes, we always knew our bathroom sink drained into the black tank. Whenever the trap would dry out in the sink and the sink plug was out of place, we'd get a good 'ol whiff of nastiness...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

ronfisherman
Thanks for the follow up report. :C
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
We have a winner! Actually several of them:

1) The black tank was overfilled via the sink drain ("vanity" per Conquest's build sheet). Renters are just devastated that their intent--to prevent the valves from freezing--has destroyed my property. For future searches: black tank fills from toilet and bathroom sink drain.

2) Happily, the RV sharing platform did as they said they would. So the deductible on the insurance claim comes out of their deposit.

3) So far the insurance firm has done as agreed: they inspected, got 2 estimates on the damage and have estimated the cash value of my RV at a fair % of what we paid for it 5 years ago. Now, we got a good deal on exactly what we needed at the time, and I shopped it hard, and we had to spend 10% of the purchase price that week on tires & suspension work to make it safe to travel...but we got 5 years from that set of costs.

4) The guy upthread who went on the attack was a stand-up person of character who looked at it again & said, whoops, my bad. That's another winner in our increasingly harsh culture of negativity.

When we complete this process I'll post a thread for future owners considering a sharing platform, and include all the numbers from this 6 month adventure.

This board has helped me many times over the years & I want to give back by offering a transparent, ask-me-anything 'review' of the sharing platform rental experience from the owner side, so others can evaluate for themselves.

A lot of people say 'I'd never rent out my RV' based on something they saw someone do to a Cruiseamerica rental at a rally one time, their cousin who breaks things he borrows, or feeling that their RV is family/personal space. I'm not hoping to persuade anyone of anything, just want to offer the facts for your review.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
No RV we have ever owned had the bathroom sink drain into the black tank. However, they are out there. My wife's sister owns a 2005 Chateau Sport that does that. The dealer told them it was part of the "winter package". Very annoying for a family of 6.

Good luck!

-Michael

On the opposite end of the spectrum, *every* RV I have owned had the bathroom sink drain into the black tank.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
My class A has the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank as well. Kitchen & shower go to the grey.

Keep in mind, someone relatively unfamiliar with RVs may have simply tried to get the toilet to "flush" like a home toilet; ie LOTS of water used to rinse skid marks, etc. Yes, lots of water is desirable for trouble free dumping, but there is also such a thing as too much, especially with relatively small tanks found on most class Cs. Couple that with a bathroom sink plumbed into the black, letting the water run in the sink while washing hands and/or brushing their teeth...

However, I also agree that the floor has had to be wet for a significant amount of time for it to be as soft as the OP describes.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
While pondering going full-time one of these days I debate about selling my home or renting. Check that. I would never rent my home or my RV regardless of deposit or insurance. I have never allowed my trailers or motorhome on the road without me as well. Enough can go wrong with me in it!
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Harvard wrote:
The bathroom vanity in some RVs empty into the black tank.
I like this answer best.

But the other answer is entertaining.

I would never rent our motor home. I won't even loan it to close family. Adding freezing temperatures is 10x trouble.

Me either. My power tools fall in there also.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
PonyGrrl wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
If you have to do that to make money from a 15 year old rig, you shouldnโ€™t own one.
(There is no reason to be obnoxious & rude to strangers. Ever. Except if they ask for it.)
I apologize. That was rude of me. Hope your insurance pays for the headache involved
Recognizing a wrong done and "Making It Right" says a lot about a person. I commend you.

We could all learn something from Nutinelse2do.

Forums can sometimes be difficult to speak in the kindest of ways. I've had my share of writing apologies.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
PonyGrrl wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
If you have to do that to make money from a 15 year old rig, you shouldnโ€™t own one.

(There is no reason to be obnoxious & rude to strangers. Ever. Except if they ask for it.)

I apologize. That was rude of me. Hope your insurance pays for the headache involved
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
How long was the floor left wet? One overflowing toilet, one time doesn't cause the floor to be rotted enough to allow you to leave foot prints. It takes a good amount of time with continually wet wood to do that kind of damage.

^^^^^^^I agree
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Methinks they got more of the renters 'deposit' than they planned on.!!!!!!!

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
PonyGrrl wrote:
Now the floor in the bathroom plus the 2 panels in front of the bathroom door are garbage--if you stand on that area, your feet sink 1cm into the substance that was formerly subfloor. Like, I left prints in the linoleum just now.

How long was the floor left wet? One overflowing toilet, one time doesn't cause the floor to be rotted enough to allow you to leave foot prints. It takes a good amount of time with continually wet wood to do that kind of damage.

No RV we have ever owned had the bathroom sink drain into the black tank. However, they are out there. My wife's sister owns a 2005 Chateau Sport that does that. The dealer told them it was part of the "winter package". Very annoying for a family of 6.

Good luck!

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you kept the "renters" deposit!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
PonyGrrl wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
But it's your RV so you should know if bathroom sink drains to black tank or not

...is that info potentially available online? Because I don't know.

Additional fact that makes this the likely solution: The stopper to the sink had been removed from the drain & was laying on the counter when I got the keys back. I've never done that & never seen it done, but I wonder if they noticed the problem there.

Holy ****. (You saw what I did there...)

I'm gonna go ahead & award the prize of 1 free night of the next RV we offer for rent. You won! Sad to say, it's not happening in your lifetime or mine...but thank you.

How long have you owned this RV??

One only needs to turn water on at faucet with dump valve open to figure out which waste tank sink/showers drain to
Or a few drops of food color in sink/shower drains.

Might want to peruse that owners manual closer and investigate any other issues you are not aware of.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31