cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Parts Nation - never again

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have difficulty lately with RV Parts Nation? My RV door lock (Fastec) is in rough shape from much use (one of the hinge pins on the pull lever either broke or simply fell out, not sure which), so I ordered a new assembly via internet from RV Parts Nation. I never got a shipping notice but my card was charged immediately. After a half month went by and nothing had come, I wrote them an email (on a Wednesday). By Monday I still had not received a reply, so I called them on the phone. The gal who answered looked up my order number and, after a brief hold, informed me that the only one they had was missing the striker plate. I wish I had said right then to cancel my order, but I thought "what the heck, my striker plate is fine," so I said go ahead and send it anyway. It came on Friday (finally!).

So I opened it up and found that not only is it missing the striker plate and its 2 screws, it also is missing the door edge cover plate with its screws (which I do need). And the red unlock lever is partially broken.

I don't even want to talk to those people any more. I'll go to the hardware store for the screws, and re-use my old door edge plate and red lever. Lesson learned. I could have done better on Amazon, probably.

The screws on my old door latch kept loosening up all the time. I think this time I'll clean all the new screws with brake cleaner and then use loctite on every one of them.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
10 REPLIES 10

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about Tom's Borderline Sales on US131 a couple miles north of White Pigeon. Small place but has some things the other's don't. He's located where US131 goes west around Constantine at 1st road coming from the east (connects to Old US131). There is also Double D Salvage, 12678 CR 34, Goshen, IN. It is an Amish ran surplus shop on a family farm, again have some things the others do not have, plus his pricing on some electrical and cable TV accessories has been way lower than Johnson's or Bontragers. Example bought a 12v powered cable outlet from him for $2 last spring and he had a box full...last time Bontrager had any he wanted $14 for the same item.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bontrager's and Johnson's Surplus both have piles and piles of parts for virtually anything you could want. New and used, furniture, appliances, windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, they have it all. However, most of what they have is not cataloged online, you'll need to call them or go to the store.

Note that Bontrager's is run by Seventh Day Adventists and is closed Saturdays, but open on Sunday.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
Good info, thanks. Hmm, I had met a Hubert Bontrager some years ago (1980s) in Indiana and he had several businesses; I wonder if this Bontrager Sales was one of them. Interesting.

Owner is Henry and son Larry. Bontragers
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, thanks. Hmm, I had met a Hubert Bontrager some years ago (1980s) in Indiana and he had several businesses; I wonder if this Bontrager Sales was one of them. Interesting.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We don't do any business with her and haven't for a long time. At one time, the business (by another name) was owned by her father. When she took over, she changed the entire business plan and moved into a building in a strip plaza. Upped her prices, got rid of all the items that people would go to the business to find. If you needed a screw, a part, an appliance, or anything that was obsolete, you could probably find it there. She quit handling that stuff and stocked furniture, scooters, etc. She had maybe four short rows of "camping world" type products and you could no longer find the obsolete hard to find parts her dad was famous for carrying. She had a small storefront and if there was a possibility she might still have something, you had to describe it and someone would go into the back and look for it. And if you had to return something, it was subject to a 15% restocking fee IF they would take it back at all. Customer service was GONE. We saw no need to return.

Over the next couple years, we saw fewer and fewer cars at her place and we wondered how long it would take before it was gone. It didn't take long and until last summer, we thought her business was totally defunct. Then we saw her answer an inquiry on a forum and she gave her new business address in Elkhart. We drove by and weeds are all grown up, no cars, etc.., and we were sure nothing was there. But then on a weekday, there were cars there. Never went in, not sure what the setup is like at that place. There is NO sign anywhere, no hours posted, etc. Perhaps it is an internet operation entirely. I would never do business with her. She sucked all the money out of her Dad's company and has no concept of how to operate a business for profit.

There are other places in/around Elkhart. . . Johnson's surplus, Bontrager Sales, up on US12 that offer more products and better service and have internet sales. Good companies to deal with.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
Never heard of Global Link before now. Are they proving to be a better-built product?

Yes, they seem to be.

They are a drop in replacement for FIC.

I have two RVs and a cargo trailer - I replaced all door handles and got them all keyed the same. LOVE IT!!!!!!!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I called a local store first, and they wanted almost twice as much as what I could get it for online. Penny wise and pound foolish, I guess.

Never heard of Global Link before now. Are they proving to be a better-built product?
Mike G.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it's just better to go to a true stick-and-brick store so you know for sure what you are actually purchasing. It might cost a little more, but at least you know it's right when you come home with it.

If I need parts or replacing something, I go to one of two local dealerships and get it there. If they don't have it in stock, they'll order it. I can either pick the item up there or have it shipped to me. I prefer to pick it up at their store. In dealing with parts and such, in 20 years of RV ownership, I've never had a problem.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Should have upgraded to Global Link locks, which nearly all RV manufacturers use now.

www.rvlocksandmore.com
Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google reviews give it 2 stars. You are not alone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman