cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Brand Is The Longest Lived Serpentine Drive Belt?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the correct size existed down here, I would have to settle for "Jolly Dragon" or some such from Happy Commune People's Factory No 39

Car has a nasty habit of immediately throwing the drive belt when it goes through a puddle of water. Replaced all three idler & tensioner pulleys with OEM and there is no wobble in the fixed pulleys. The belt to be replaced is a Dayco. Part number ribs and length verified to be correct. It was noiseless. Thank goodness the water pump is driven by the inner timing belt. And yes the tensioner pulley strength was verified correct by a shop.
32 REPLIES 32

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It can be very difficult to determine how much wear is on a serpentine belt just by looking. Here is a very brief video that shows a cheap little plastic tool that acts like a go or no go for the belt. Very quick check.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Changed my first one at 100K just because they said I should. I couldnt see anything wrong with it. The second belt has 140K on it and looks in great shape. I carry the first one as a spare
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am getting so old that avoiding a rainy day bumpem-smackem looks better and better. When someone offers to drive they'd better be as fast on the catch as Mickey Mantle. I say the magic words: "Your sight and hearing and reaction time is unquestionably better than mine".

A hundred and fifty dollar + labor charge fix is discouraging. I'll take my Kindle along and hide out until the rain stops.

The big power steering pulley is right-there where there is a massive gap in frame, steering and suspension parts.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sheet metal shield might be of little help at 5 mph unless sealed 360

More than twice and I think I would be trading that vehicle or stay home during any rain. PITN.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Mitsubishi would be the best part of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ You're doing good if you're still able to wrench, smile, those knuckles will scab over and heal up

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
FIVE miles per hour automatic transmission on a residential street.

NoPar has a rash of problems with this on the Shitsumishi engines 3.0 - 3.5

Just did an eighty dollar pulley replacement thing so a hundred fifty dollar retrofit is somebody's idea of a damp dream. Then NoPar jammed the front of the engine against the starboard inner fenderwell. Ane yes I have a lng flat bar with 3/8" square fixed drive knob holding a 15mm 12-point socket. If I had 2 extra hands and a spare arm the job would go easier.

Eeeeh wotta buncha Maroones

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Slow down.

Didn't get those numbers. Depth/speed lol

MrWizard
Is this all on the same specific engine ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Absurd. I'll try and find someone to build a sheetmetal shield for the bottom exposed power steering serpentine pulley.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go with what was available...

Here's a fan letter regarding this problem

Why is it after replacing a new belt and new tensioner, the belt comes off in the rain, snow and going through puddles? I wasted money on these and they are less than a year old and I have to replace them with a kit containing the same thing except they are grooved?
It came off on my wife over a dozen times. No power steering (no control), no water pump (engine overheats causing dangerous to aluminum heads), no alternator (no battery charging), no AC. All powered by ONE belt. $40 a pop to put the belt back on. An independent recommended a kit, parts and labor, over $300. We then found a radiator leak, thinking the slick antifreeze was causing the belt to come off, so I spent the $300 replacing a new radiator. Still the belt came off.
I have looked over numerous forums on the web and with all the problems with Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler vans, why do we have to pay to get it fixed?
I thought I'd be smart and start out with some "cheaper fixes". One guy was selling disks to put over the tensioner and idle pulley for $30. I found the disk covers from Advance for $8 apiece and installed them on both idle and tension pulleys and thought how smart I was until I went through a puddle...twice and both times it came off. I started looking at the Dayco 89251 from Advance, but it is a smooth tension pulley. My wife called me today and guess what...she went through a puddle. So..here I am ordering a Gates 38379K kit from Amazon $111.63 incl. S & H. Advance has Goodyear kit 49215K for $124.99 plus tax, but it had to be ordered. You can also order separate double sided belt, grooved idle and tension pulleys, but they total more than $111. The double sided belt is over $65.
CONTACT THE NHTSA on their web site or call them at 888-327-4236. I am surprized if someone hasn't gotten KILLED yet!!!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I've had good experience with Goodyear Gatorback belts

Ditto here
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Gates or Goodyear for sure.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MrWizard
I've had good experience with Goodyear Gatorback belts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s