cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Quality

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Always amazed me how the RV industry gets away with poor quality product. If you purchased a Toyota Camry you are in the $26,000 range. If you purchase Volvo as example in $66,000 range you do see the $40,000 difference from inside quality to outside quality. They don't put cheap tires on the $66,000 Volvo or low par metal frame.

Yet in the RV industry I purchased a $30,000 Prime Time Crusader 5th wheel and compared it to a similar size $60,000 RV and I cannot see the $30,000 that justifies that increase in price. The roof for most are still rubber. Look under the seating it is particle board. What is worse the appliances inside are not top of the line that could justify the $30,000 price difference. Granted some top line models selling for $80,000 may be in a different league. I am saying I don't see the same difference in price between $30,000 RV and $60,000 RV to justify the difference. Yet in a car is becomes clear the difference and they don't cut corners in shoddy workmanship during the build like they do in the RV industry. I guess demand and supply is the reason why RV's have not changed in quality. The manufacturer gets away with it.

No offense to owners of any specific RV. People are happy with what they buy which justifies the price they are willing to pay.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS
82 REPLIES 82

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

This is an example of what I was trying to say. Self-leveling or full body paint are features, and you can have a well built quality trailer without those things. Those are features, that you would expect to pay extra for.

yep, I feel sorry for all of those Prevost owners out there that have to drive around in a RV that does not have full body paint, i.e. are cheap.
bumpy

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
Quality means something different to each individual...

4x4ord wrote:
I am satisfied with our 5th wheel and I know it has a reputation of being a high quality RV. Yet many places I look I see cheap. Cheap drawer slides; cheap hinges; cheap outside latches; no self leveling; no full body paint. It was a very expensive trailer when it was new and yet it could be considered cheap.

This is an example of what I was trying to say. Self-leveling or full body paint are features, and you can have a well built quality trailer without those things. Those are features, that you would expect to pay extra for. If you don't have them, your trailer might still last for decades. I would agree about drawer slides and cabinet hinges, assuming they break or screws pull out prematurely showing a lack of quality. No disrespect meant to you or your post, just using yours as an example of how opinions differ on quality.

I want stuff to not break and function for a long time. That is my definition of quality built. Anything else are features, which I can shop for and see before signing on the line (signature lines are not dotted anymore)
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
BarneyS wrote:

Are you sure about that? Have you taken the bolts out of the spring equalizers and shackles to see?

It isn't necessary to pull the bolts to inspect for worn bushings.
2006 F250 Diesel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Could it be that Chinese-imported RVs shake up the industry?

I just posted a thread here about a couple of units that I saw:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29812801.cfm

I’ve watched plenty of the Tiny Homes shows on TV and they all seem like less space, less convenient for more money than a RV. I haven’t figured out their appeal.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be that Chinese-imported RVs shake up the industry?

I just posted a thread here about a couple of units that I saw:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29812801.cfm
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Full body paint offers value other than vanity.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
no self leveling; no full body paint. .

I would consider these two items to be "optional", one for convenience, one for vanity. Not necessarily "cheap" if without.
bumpy

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am satisfied with our 5th wheel and I know it has a reputation of being a high quality RV. Yet many places I look I see cheap. Cheap drawer slides; cheap hinges; cheap outside latches; no self leveling; no full body paint. It was a very expensive trailer when it was new and yet it could be considered cheap.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
"My spring bushings are not worn out, proof that you don't need wet bolt kits."

Are you sure about that? Have you taken the bolts out of the spring equalizers and shackles to see? Unless you have bronze bushings from the factory (which would be quite unusual unless it came with special equalizers and shackles) then I would encourage you to take a look. You might be very surprised at what you find. :E

After owning our K-Z Spree for 5 yrs I had the dealer check the nylon bushings and finding them completely destroyed I had him install a Dexter Wet Bolt Kit. Years later, after owning our Freedom Express for 5 yrs I had the dealer again check the nylon bushings, this time finding no unusual wear at all so one can't automatically assume nylon bushings will always fail. In this case, since he already had everything pulled apart I nevertheless had him install Lippert Never Fail Bushings. Yeah, I know - Lippert :R - but much cheaper than a wet bolt kit and much better than the nylon bushings.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
"My spring bushings are not worn out, proof that you don't need wet bolt kits."

Are you sure about that? Have you taken the bolts out of the spring equalizers and shackles to see? Unless you have bronze bushings from the factory (which would be quite unusual unless it came with special equalizers and shackles) then I would encourage you to take a look. You might be very surprised at what you find. :E
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Quality means something different to each individual. I would not presume to say who is right or wrong, we all have our own expectations. What I do know is that those who agree with me are right, and everyone else is some level of wrong 🙂

I'm pretty happy with the quality of our Cougar. It hasn't fallen apart on the road. And it didn't cost a lot. I think you call that, value, but I have to call it quality too, because the unit is doing the job it was designed for. Others will just scoff at that. Thing could have been done better. The foam around plumbing penetrations is sloppy and looks messy. The bubble cover on the aluminum corner molding at one corner was too short, and when it got hot it would slip out of the channel. I did a little cleanup to the edging on the countertops. I wouldn't call that poor quality, but others would.

I don't have solid surface countertops. Poor quality? Not to me. Then there is the lack of a cap on the rear. Oh the shame, such poor quality! Sarcasm here.

My frame is not broken. Running gear, including brakes, is holding up fine. I don't have shocks. Proof that they are not needed. My spring bushings are not worn out, proof that you don't need wet bolt kits.

Nothing leaks. Not the pipes. Not the roof. Not the box.

But to some, this is a low quality brand. Proof, not everyone agrees on what quality means.

About the most annoying thing I'm dealing with now, is the plastic fender skirts flexing and pulling the screws through, caused by driving in winds. I can definitely see where they cut cost and weight on those and it is a real pain to replace those. Should have lasted more than 8 years.

Someone said we defend manufacturers too often. But I've seen some extremely petty complaints too. A lot of times it is just buyers remorse due to unrealistic expectations.

Ideally, quality should be the same in a $30k trailer as in a $130k trailer, and the cost difference would just be features and size. Ideals and reality rarely meet.

This got long. Maybe I shoulda just written a book.
2006 F250 Diesel

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
That’s what we did. Ours is a 34 foot Cedar with 3 slides and a floor plan that gives us access to the whole trailer excrept the two recliners with out moving out a slide. Rare I think nowadays.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO, the majority of buyers aren't willing to pay for quality and just want a lot of bling for the cheapest price. Secondly, many purchasers don't take the time to research and learn what to look for when purchasing an RV. Then, there is the sliding scale of how much quality you need in an RV that you may only use for a short amount of time in a given year and may not keep for more than a few years before selling or purchasing a different RV. And, it's always very personal and subjective. We chose to buy a 2012 Newmar Bay Star because of its quality and features rather than buy a newer but lower quality entry unit.....at least by our perception and standard.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

justme
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
philh wrote:
justme wrote:
BTY proper engineering and QC does not need to cost more money. In fact poor engineering and QC does cost more money if one cares to consider warranty costs and loss of business.

It needs to be good enough. As long as units are flying out the door thanks to a booming economy and ultra low interest rates, junk quality is good enough.

x2 Just ask Wallmart.

Walmart offers lower prices on mid to low quality. While the new low price/quality stores( https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-dollar-store-backlash-has-begun/ar-BBRdPzh?ocid=spartandhp )are now rapidly growing. The RV industry seems to be following this trend.