cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recreation.Gov

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who are the morons that just flat out ruined a good reservation site?

The maps look like something a child drew...
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
46 REPLIES 46

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
2Rad4U wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
I just used it to make a reservation. I looked on the map,called and picked my site. It was very easy.

Why did you have to call?
I prefer to call.But I saw on another thread,they said they couldn't see the site pictures etc.I had no problem with that.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
I just used it to make a reservation. I looked on the map,called and picked my site. It was very easy.

Why did you have to call?
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
.."Or you can use the old way of calling the ranger office closest-to/at the park/area you want to go to. I often do this and they'll check openings and make reservations for you right over the phone. Sometimes the Internet is not all it's cracked up to be."

Sometime they will & sometimes they won't, I've called a park CG only to be told that I HAD to contact Recreation.gov, they couldn't do it
from the park. Actually had it happen a few times. I Wish it worked that way, I'd Much rather talk directly to the folks onsite, instead of a computer 1000 mi. away.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
gkainz wrote:
I agree the new website is horrible. I've been in IT since before IT was called IT. I would bet with a high degree of confidence that the website development was off-shored.
My old account information could not be verified after the new deployment - even though it recognized my old username. It insisted that my driver's license number could not validate the account, but was happy enough to use my passport information. Suspicion level ramped up another level on personal information harvesting from yet another intrusive source.

i apologize for misinformation in my above post. The issue I described was with ReserveAmerica.com, not recreation.gov. I was wrong.

I just checked my recreation.gov account, and, while yes, they did make me generate a new password, my account and information was intact. There was no additional confirmation of identity with drivers license number or passport number as there was with ReserveAmerica.com.

My apology for the inaccurate memory and information, and undeserved criticism.

Why would reserveAmerica require anyone to provide a DL or a passport number ? Me thinks you just gave a hacker some very valuable information.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
tdiller wrote:
gkainz wrote:
tdiller wrote:
snip
Its amazing what people did in the early days with only 64MB of memory.

64MB? The computer I had in the Navy E-2 Hawkeye that covered over 300 miles of airspace and tracked hundreds of contacts did all this with 64K of memory.

About like the mark 86 gunfire control system on the ship I was tracking your hawkeye with.

LOL! After we upgraded from the E-2B to the -C, and got a passive detection system, I could track you tracking me! ๐Ÿ™‚
Oh and also upgraded our 8k memory modules (about the size of an old fashioned encyclopedia) to 16k each, we had more memory than we knew what to do with! 128K! Living large!

And those things took up a lot of space back in the day. Our gunfire computer was an old sperry univac model that was about the size of a refrigerator with all kinds of blinking lights on the front.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
gkainz wrote:
gkainz wrote:
I agree the new website is horrible. I've been in IT since before IT was called IT. I would bet with a high degree of confidence that the website development was off-shored.
My old account information could not be verified after the new deployment - even though it recognized my old username. It insisted that my driver's license number could not validate the account, but was happy enough to use my passport information. Suspicion level ramped up another level on personal information harvesting from yet another intrusive source.

i apologize for misinformation in my above post. The issue I described was with ReserveAmerica.com, not recreation.gov. I was wrong.

I just checked my recreation.gov account, and, while yes, they did make me generate a new password, my account and information was intact. There was no additional confirmation of identity with drivers license number or passport number as there was with ReserveAmerica.com.

ReserveAmerica has never asked for my drivers license or passport info when making a reservation. They do ask for my vehicle and license plate info a week out for the voluntary pre-registration though.

To clarify - my comment above was after the website upgrade/rewrite or whatever they did, my account no longer worked. Kept saying invalid password (I use a password manager app, so I wasn't mistyping). To revalidate my account, it prompted me to enter my drivers license number, which it rejected as invalid (I don't recall now if it was invalid format, or some other error, but smelled like a coding error to me.). Passport number was another option, and as much as I didn't like entering that, I did, and then I could reset a password. I know they weren't using those numbers to actually validate I was who I said I was, because I've never entered either of those numbers before. It was a data fishing exercise, in my opinion, for whatever reason.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
gkainz wrote:

ReserveAmerica has never asked for my drivers license or passport info when making a reservation. They do ask for my vehicle and license plate info a week out for the voluntary pre-registration though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
gkainz wrote:
tdiller wrote:
snip

64MB? The computer I had in the Navy E-2 Hawkeye that covered over 300 miles of airspace and tracked hundreds of contacts did all this with 64K of memory.

About like the mark 86 gunfire control system on the ship I was tracking your hawkeye with.

LOL! After we upgraded from the E-2B to the -C, and got a passive detection system, I could track you tracking me! ๐Ÿ™‚
Oh and also upgraded our 8k memory modules (about the size of an old fashioned encyclopedia) to 16k each, we had more memory than we knew what to do with! 128K! Living large!

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
tdiller wrote:
snip

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Also, the new site does not support the Opera browser.

Well,
I guess that leaves me out.
Firefox now has features I will not allow.
Chrome is unreliable on this system.
I haven't had anything Microsoft since my Office 98 disaster that they caused.

So, I guess we are stuck with private and Walmart. (Actually, we prefer Cabela's and BassPro.)

Matt

....Or you can use the old way of calling the ranger office closest-to/at the park/area you want to go to. I often do this and they'll check openings and make reservations for you right over the phone. Sometimes the Internet is not all it's cracked up to be.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
tdiller wrote:
snip

When we set the upper limit of PC-DOS at 640K, we thought nobody would ever need that much memory. โ€” William Gates, chairman of Microsoft
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Also, the new site does not support the Opera browser.

Well,
I guess that leaves me out.
Firefox now has features I will not allow.
Chrome is unreliable on this system.
I haven't had anything Microsoft since my Office 98 disaster that they caused.

So, I guess we are stuck with private and Walmart. (Actually, we prefer Cabela's and BassPro.)

Matt

....Or you can use the old way of calling the ranger office closest-to/at the park/area you want to go to. I often do this and they'll check openings and make reservations for you right over the phone. Sometimes the Internet is not all it's cracked up to be.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
snip