Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Problems

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

On the road boon docking right now. Emptied black tank before leaving. Indicator is working correctly, but there appears to be a large clump of paper visible when you look down into the toilet. Since we're on the road - is there anything I can do? Would pouring some boiling water into the toilet help? We're inside of an even and don't have dumpling facilities. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is that while trying to conserve water and conserve space in your black tank, you are creating the mound due to a lack of water. Gravity alone is not going to get the paper into the tank if their isn't sufficient water to propel and lubricate the waste as it tries to slide down the chute. This is not waste jumping up from the tank, it's waste that never made it down.

So, the solution is to poke the mess with a stick and get it into the tank; or pull the mess out and discard it, or pour a bucket of water down the chute with sufficient volume to dislodge the mess and send it into the black tank where it belongs. Once you have the immediate issue resolved, prevent it by not being so stingy with the water you use to flush.

As a side note, if you're too conservative with the waste water, you run the possibility that when you are emptying the tank, you may be leaving behind some waste mountains that are not being flushed out due to a lack of water.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
After I dump the black tank, I put water in the black by holding down the foot flush until the black tank reads 1/3 full.

This accomplishes a couple things.

One, I never have dry anything in my tank. Paper or solids always have water working on them to break them down.
Two, I have never had a pyramid of paper or poop in my tank.
Three, my tank meters have never gone to the stuck on an incorrect reading situation that is common to some because TP got hung up on an sensor inside the tank and is conducting electricity through it.

My old TT had 30 gallon gray and black tanks and I never filled the black unless I was camping for over 10 days (3 of us camping usually, occasionally 4). Gray alway filled first and I would use a tote to dump it and the black would last generally until we left. I think one time I had to dump some black into it, top off with gray water and go dump give us a couple days worth of room on a 14 day camping trip.

So my point is, be generous with the water, Don't be afraid of starting off with a few inches or more to make sure everything gets broken down good. Then you can just fill the bowl to a normal level, do your business and flush without worrying about anything.

Lastly, if you put water in after dumping, it sloshes around on the way home and works on anything that is stubbornly sticking to the bottom or sides of your tank.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned, lots of water is the key to preventing this from happening.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use as little water as we could when flushing. Then once while camping with full hookups, we tested to see how long it would take to fill the tank using a lot if water. We easily made a week with plenty 9f room to spare. Lots of water is the answer.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
Hi,

On the road boon docking right now. Emptied black tank before leaving. Indicator is working correctly, but there appears to be a large clump of paper visible when you look down into the toilet. Since we're on the road - is there anything I can do? Would pouring some boiling water into the toilet help? We're inside of an even and don't have dumpling facilities. Thanks

Over the years we have had this problem several times - not often, but enough to be familiar with it. We keep a metal clothes hanger in the closet for this purpose. It has been straightened out somewhat and we use it to 'knock down' the pile, then add some more water. It is easy to clean the hanger with some bathroom cleaner and a paper towel, then put it back in it's plastic bag and the closet for next time. Just one of the things we have to do when enjoying the life.
H & P
2015 Arctic Fox 29L, 2016 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4

Geocache team: Afternoonshift

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Perhaps the cause of your paper pyramid is from not allowing the tank to fill to sufficient depth before dumping. As said above, lots of water is good. Maybe a change in the type of TP should be considered as well.

Had the same problem with single ply standard TP.

NO further problems using RV/Marine dissolving TP, readily available at Wally World, etc.

Lots of water...
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep about all you can do is use a broom handle, about an inch thick stick from the woods near by, a tank rinsing wand, a piece of PVC or your awning pull down rod to push it away from the opening and towards the deeper end of the tank. Once you get enough water in the tank it will soften up and bouncong along on the way home will help to finish breaking it up and dissolving it. If you don't have one you might get a hydroflush to back flush when dumping. If you have a straight shot into the black tank they work great. Rarely do I need the use the rinse wand.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Add some tank deodorizer to the water like Thetford. I would add a double treatment. It will go a long way on breaking down solids quickly..
2010 Suncruiser

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
You are at the point where the only thing that will probably work is the broom handle trick. Having a bucket of bleach water next to the toilet will help quell the nastiness you are going to encounter. When leaving a #2, it's always good to fill the bowl with water 2X afterward and let those 2 slugs of water hit the pile to disperse it. Now that you have the pile my money is on it being pretty hard and immobile requiring a "mechanical" solution. Happy poking!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
badsix wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
Do like I had to do and use an old broom handle and knock it down, slosh it away from the poop hole.

do this ^^^ then keep using it until your ready to leave. then fill with water and head to the nearest dump station and dump.
Jay D.

Best advice.
I have done that a couple times when needed.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Metal clothes hanger
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
Hi,

Is it causing a problem? Since you are boondocking I wouldn't do anything. Adding ice or hot water will just fill your tank up quicker. Once you're at a full hookup site or dump station, do some flushing/cleaning.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the cause of your paper pyramid is from not allowing the tank to fill to sufficient depth before dumping. As said above, lots of water is good. Maybe a change in the type of TP should be considered as well.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:
Do like I had to do and use an old broom handle and knock it down, slosh it away from the poop hole.

do this ^^^ then keep using it until your ready to leave. then fill with water and head to the nearest dump station and dump.
Jay D.