cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercial Plates for 250/2500 in New York State??

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I was just told by a friend that in New York State that I would have to register a 250/2500 or 350/3500 as a commercial vehicle because it weighs over 6000 lbs! If true, that means I can't use any of the parkways even when not towing.

So I went to the DMV web site and found the following

If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

* the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
* a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed
* the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed
'camping equipment” indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle.

Does the 5th Wheel Hitch mounted in the bed qualify as "camping equipment"?

Not being able to use the Long Island parkways is a real PITA! Has anyone faced this issue?
31 REPLIES 31

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Jimbee wrote:
Don't give up on the 2500, the towing experience is so much more stable and safer than the 1500 experience. Even a properly optioned 1500 isn't as stable as a 2500. I live on long island and have a 2500/comm plates, not a big deal. You'll have to take the same roads you currently do when towing anyway! Can't take your trailer on the parkways! You'll be using Sunrise Hwy, Rt.135, LIE, ect... anyway!

That's what I was thinking. Seems like there was a thread here a while back discussing the low bridge heights on the parkways, complete with photos of the destruction caused by guys who missed or ignored the signs.

Curious, what is the difference in cost to register a commercial vehicle vs. personal?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
NY lawmakers make any changes??? LMAO!!! Not when they will get a 50k pay raise (80k to 130k/yr and work part time at that. Not to mention the crooked gov of this state will also see a pay raise ( 180k to 230k) which will make both the lawmakers and gov the HIGHEST paid politicians in the US and the gov doesn't understand why the taxes are so high.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You know what would work with the commercial plate restriction and all?
A half ton.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
BeerBrewer wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't look good. You need to actually read the exact wording of the regulations as it gives a lot more clarification as to exactly what they say. The generic version makes it sound like you have a choice of one of the three while the actual written law sounds like it;s all. This is the actual written law for that section:

A pickup truck which is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes with an unladen weight over 5,000 pounds, with no business advertising, with the bed completely enclosed by a camper top, with at least one side window in the camper top, and with seats, seat fittings or camping equipment mounted in the bed, may receive a passenger registration, at the registrant's option. These modifications must be permanent. Camping equipment means that a bed, stove or refrigerator must always be in the vehicle. Any use of the truck without these modifications requires the vehicle to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
15 CRR-NY 106.6
NY-CRR
Current 2018

So it sounds like you must have no commercial advertising, AND a cap with two windows on the sides, AND a sleeping bed, refrigerator or stove in the pickup AND those items must be permanently mounted. So it appears a fifth wheel hitch in an open bed will not be sufficient to make it a passenger registration.

I finally got through to the DMV and they confirmed that CRR-NY 106.6 has a typo error in the second paragraph. The "5000 lbs" should be changed to "6000 lbs". They issued a this pdf document (https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf) to clarify it. They didn't know why the original text wasn't changed. They did say that I'd have to permanently mount seats in the bed and that 5th wheel hitch didn't classify as "camping equipment".

It used to be that ALL pickup trucks had to be registered as commercial vehicles in NY and that made driving around Long Island a nightmare because commercial plates are very restrictive. Frankly I don't know if I want to relive all that, so I may be forced to go with a 150/1500 instead of a 250/2500. Which means we'll have to go with a smaller trailer.

Thanks for your input.

I definitely understand your situation since I was in the same boat. I really didn't want to get into another loan on a late model 1/2 ton that could tow 8,800 lbs but had to do a lot of searching to find a 3/4 tone that would be under the 6,000 lb limit.

I purchased my used 2012 F-250 in May of this year and at the time the limit on regular passenger plates was under 6,000 lbs. The Ford dealer I purchased the truck from even question it when I told them the truck I was buying (5,700 lbs) could get passenger plates even though it was a 3/4 ton truck. They had to double check to make sure what I was telling them was accurate.

Again, if you have to have room for more than two passengers then I don't think there is a 3/4 ton option that's going to work for you (under 6,000 lbs). Based on my search all the extended cab F-250's, etc. that can carry four passenger are going to exceed the 6,000 lb limit.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Jimbee wrote:

Stupid antiquated law that makes no sense, but that's New York!

Maybe time to reach out to law makers to change a stupid law!

Good luck with that... we are talking taxes and New York.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jimbee wrote:
Yup!
As another Long Islander I feel your pain. Can't register my 2500 Chevy legitimately with passenger plates either. Don't get caught on the parkway with comm plates, I found out the hard way!($280 fine). As you know some people are running around with illegally registered trucks with pass plates but if they get into an accident not sure what the outcome would be for them and their insurance company, I doubt pleasant!

Maybe time to reach out to law makers to change a stupid law!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Don't give up on the 2500, the towing experience is so much more stable and safer than the 1500 experience. Even a properly optioned 1500 isn't as stable as a 2500. I live on long island and have a 2500/comm plates, not a big deal. You'll have to take the same roads you currently do when towing anyway! Can't take your trailer on the parkways! You'll be using Sunrise Hwy, Rt.135, LIE, ect... anyway!

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't look good. You need to actually read the exact wording of the regulations as it gives a lot more clarification as to exactly what they say. The generic version makes it sound like you have a choice of one of the three while the actual written law sounds like it;s all. This is the actual written law for that section:

A pickup truck which is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes with an unladen weight over 5,000 pounds, with no business advertising, with the bed completely enclosed by a camper top, with at least one side window in the camper top, and with seats, seat fittings or camping equipment mounted in the bed, may receive a passenger registration, at the registrant's option. These modifications must be permanent. Camping equipment means that a bed, stove or refrigerator must always be in the vehicle. Any use of the truck without these modifications requires the vehicle to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
15 CRR-NY 106.6
NY-CRR
Current 2018

So it sounds like you must have no commercial advertising, AND a cap with two windows on the sides, AND a sleeping bed, refrigerator or stove in the pickup AND those items must be permanently mounted. So it appears a fifth wheel hitch in an open bed will not be sufficient to make it a passenger registration.

I finally got through to the DMV and they confirmed that CRR-NY 106.6 has a typo error in the second paragraph. The "5000 lbs" should be changed to "6000 lbs". They issued a this pdf document (https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf) to clarify it. They didn't know why the original text wasn't changed. They did say that I'd have to permanently mount seats in the bed and that 5th wheel hitch didn't classify as "camping equipment".

It used to be that ALL pickup trucks had to be registered as commercial vehicles in NY and that made driving around Long Island a nightmare because commercial plates are very restrictive. Frankly I don't know if I want to relive all that, so I may be forced to go with a 150/1500 instead of a 250/2500. Which means we'll have to go with a smaller trailer.

Thanks for your input.

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Yup!
As another Long Islander I feel your pain. Can't register my 2500 Chevy legitimately with passenger plates either. Don't get caught on the parkway with comm plates, I found out the hard way!($280 fine). As you know some people are running around with illegally registered trucks with pass plates but if they get into an accident not sure what the outcome would be for them and their insurance company, I doubt pleasant!

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Half ton P.U.'s are the only "legal" Trucks allowed on parkways, Taconic,Saw Mill,The Hutch,Northern-Southern State,etc..., reg. has to be under 5500lbs. "BUT".... I am able to reg. my F-350,6.7l,4x4,Super Cab, as a pass. vehicle w/ a 3000 lb. Truck Camper. I can't seem to find the form # right now on N.Y.S.D.M.V website, for some reason it's down. In the past year or so, now they have restricted our height to 10' max.on parkways to stop the comm. guys w/ the new taller Transits and the like, loading their racks 3&4' high w/ skids, ladders & the like.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I think you will find that the "No Commercial Vehicles" signs refer to true commercial trucks and semis not pickups. I know I never let one of those signs stop me and never got ticketed. Check with your local LEOs or the State Police, but I'm pretty sure even with the Commercial tags you can use the Park Ways, don't you see pickups on them now??

Does not make a difference if it's a semi or pick-up. Commercial is commercial. License plate on my pick up says commercial even tho I tow either a RV, snowmobile or utility trailer.

I understand where you are coming from/saying, but if a particular road is off limits to vehicles w/ commercial plates, makes no diff what it is. No can do. Cannot even drive a comm pick up on the Taconic Sate Parkway.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Living where probably 90% of households have a pickup truck I find these license fees funny.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you will find that the "No Commercial Vehicles" signs refer to true commercial trucks and semis not pickups. I know I never let one of those signs stop me and never got ticketed. Check with your local LEOs or the State Police, but I'm pretty sure even with the Commercial tags you can use the Park Ways, don't you see pickups on them now??
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

blt2ski
Grit Dog,
Their are a few places that certain sizes of commercial rigs are limited.
The licence fee setup sounds the same.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer