cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firman Generators

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Costco has a great deal on a Firman WO2981 3200Wpeak running/2900Wrunning generator. The reviews all seem good. Does anyone have comments or knowledge of this unit?
Thank you so much
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Get what ya pay for......
I'm sure it puts out electricity, but I'd put my money on a used Honda or Yami before a new elcheapo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
What is Costco return policy on generators? if it ends up being a piece of junk return it.

$479 plus tax is hard to beat. The HF predator is $649 when you can find a coupon, although that has electric start which I ended up liking more than I thought I would.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
trail-explorer wrote:
Taylor in Canada uses one on hos YouTube channel and has been happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yar7Cqdw6O0&t
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just opened that link. That's a smokin' deal @ $500.00-ish
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a Firman 3300/3000 inverter generator from Newegg. It was an introductory price of $715.00 delivered to my door with a qt of oil, a battery and a very impressive manual. I broke it in per manufacturers instructions. Then fired off my 13.5 Coleman with great ease and it barely changed the engine RPM. I don't regularly use a generator as I prefer the sound of solar(is that a song title?). I pull it to the tailgate of the truck every month and fire it up for an hour then turn the gas off and let it run the fuel out of the carb. It falls in the approved decibel range at 50' for the US Forestry. 57 decibels @ 50'. Not real sure if it's a great deal if I only use it for emergencies, like being snowed in or getting stuck in Arizona and it's 110 degrees and no hook ups. One might think the more logical idea is to buy the most proven and reliable.........Honda, but it wouldn't fit under my Snug Top Tonneau cover.....So $715.00 to my door and I'll keep an eye on it
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor in Canada uses one on hos YouTube channel and has been happy with it.
Bob

TKW
Explorer
Explorer

I bought one last month and just broke it in with 5 hrs run time. Following some internet advice, I ran the 1st 2 hrs with no load and changed oil at 1 hr interval. At the end of the 2nd hr, I found a broken plastic piece (pic attached) at the bottom of the casing. I looked up & down inside the casing and couldn't tell where this was broken from. I also enlisted my mechanically minded neighbours, both father and son to lend some fresh & younger eyes to help looking without success. Hoping that it was broken during assembly and remedied. And the broken piece was unnoticed and left at the casing. I decided to carry on with the breaking-in instead of returning to Costco.

For performance wise, it starts with a couple of pulls. Showing 126V output at no load. It drops to 124-125V with 400W & 1400W load. It can stay in ECO mode with 1/2 load with minimum raise in noise level.

Noise level is above 60db even in ECO mode at 20+ ft away. With an Android App, accuracy uncertain, I measured somewhere between 60-64 db. But I am sure it's not the 58db as advertised b/c I have seen a Honda 3KW genny run, which advertises @ 57db, and it was much quieter going by my memory. This might not be a fair side by side comparison but it is definitely quieter than an open frame genny.

I read about the fuel leak problem during my research and it is due to some cheap fuel hose. If it is not corrected by the manuf by now, I believe it is a easy fix. I also read about the spark plug might cause problem down the stretch. It is advisable to replace it with some name brand or carry a spare.

All in all, it only costs 1/4 the cost of a Honda. I think/hope it justifies its cost for my need. YMMV
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
From their website

As a wholly-owned subsidiary of the $108 Billion dollar per year company Sinomach, we have produced over 10 million portable generators over the past 17 years for the worldwide market. For years we have built private label generators for companies such as Ridgid, Kohler and many others! In 2015 we made the decision to bring our manufacturing expertise to North America directly under the FIRMAN brand.

China National Machinery Industry Corporation Ltd(Sinomach), established in January 1997, is an important State-owned backbone enterprise directly managed by the central government. Sinomach is a Fortune Global 500 enterprise. Sinomachโ€™s headquarters is located in the Silicon Valley of China, Beijingโ€™s Zhongguancun.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have a family member that has one and had a fuel leak that is apparently common with them.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
58 decibels.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of that brand. I prefer a brand that other people use such as Honda, Champion and several others, prior to purchase and see how their unit is working and any problems etc.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do they publish a decibel rating?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."