cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grain Free Concerns

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
As a long time feeder of grain free kibble, I was unhappy to hear about a recent study, which shows the potential for heart disease in dogs fed certain grain free kibbles. Apparently, peas, legumes, and white potatoes may inhibit the absorption of taurine, which is needed for heart development and heart health.

I have a 6.5 month old lab puppy, so I'm feeding him grain-inclusive kibble until further studies determine the seriousness of this study. Be aware that even some grain inclusive kibbles contain peas. Read ingredient lists carefully.

Grain Free-Heart Disease
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI
11 REPLIES 11

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I should have specified that it is wheat, corn and soy free

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Does your dog need grain free or more,likely limited ingredent? Our Lab mix we fought diahrrea for nearly 3 months before our vet put him on LID. His issues stopped over night. If you want to feed treats, try sweet potatoe fries.

You can also start a puppy out by making long green beans a treat for them. Since they don't know any better the bean becomes a dog treat.

Did it with my Great Dane puppy. Till the day he passed on he'd kill ya for a green bean. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Our vet told us she believes grain free is a sales gimmick and if your dog has allergies it is more common to be allergic to chicken and chicken by products than anything else.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Does your dog need grain free or more,likely limited ingredent? Our Lab mix we fought diahrrea for nearly 3 months before our vet put him on LID. His issues stopped over night. If you want to feed treats, try sweet potatoe fries.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
....I never jumped on the grain free bandwagon, since it (to me)

seemed obviously a marketing gimmick much more than science.

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We switched away from a grain free formula about a month ago...on advice from our vet who is also a friend of ours.
Now feeding Nature's Logic.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond naturals chicken & rice is not grain free; rice is a grain.
I have nothing against this food; we buy the Costco branded version of it (120-160lbs at a time).

I too agree the grain free diet fad is pure marketing. They are selling โ€œfeed your dog what a wolf would eat in the wildโ€. But then then tell you this fairytale of what wolves eat in the wild. They leave out the facts of wolves eating organ meat (meat byproducts) first then muscle and finally bone (meat byproducts); and wolves eating vegetation (grass) in the summer. Almost forgot to mention the consumption of rodents, birds, and invertebrates (more meat byproducts like feathers).

Source: https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/136/7/1923S/4664711

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
After seeing what my two dogs will eat from the yard in the way of grasses, et al, Iโ€™m not that concerned with what comes in their name brand dog chow.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an older thread. There might be some helpful comments in there for you.

I never jumped on the grain free bandwagon, since it (to me) seemed obviously a marketing gimmick much more than science. Plus I've personally known more dogs to have issues with particular meat protein sources than with grains. But I still tend to believe that what's good for humans is good for (most) dogs--a wide variety of healthy food.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our grain free kibble does not include potatoes or peas as an ingredient. We have a small dog so use Diamond Naturals small breed chicken & rice. They do have other formula's for larger dogs and I believe puppy and senior formulas. We purchase ours at Tractor Supply and know it's available at Menard's stores up north.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Research continues on this issue. Time will tell. IMO we should follow the most recent reliable opinion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad