cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GETTING YOUR SCHEDULE 2 MEDICATIONS ON THE ROAD

Carol1949
Explorer
Explorer
Our pharmacy is a national chain. Does anyone have trouble getting their prescriptions refilled at a different store, still the same company, out of state? The government is making it so hard to get pain medication for those who really need it.
7 REPLIES 7

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
For years I had to take opioids for back pain. While I did take them somewhat regularly, I only took them if I wanted to walk that day. It's the only thing that relieved the pain. After 15 years, I was not addicted, but it became nearly impossible to get the meds, so I opted for a back surgery instead. That was extremely successful and I don't even need a Tylenol now.

However, I think it is outrageous that people who truly need pain killers cannot get them. This is insane. I guarantee you the illegal drug trade flourishes and those who use them recreationally get them. . . but legitimate users. . . . NOT. I managed my pain with them for 15 years, never taking more than 1 a day and generally not more than 1 or 2 a week. I'm not a stupid person, I know what they can do, but being able to walk the mall as opposed to sitting at home writhing in pain was important some times.

I believe there is a place for them in medicine. When I did have my back surgery, they were prescribed for me. I would not have been able to get by without them. Even then, I got a 10-day dose and had to return to get a prescription and hand carry it to the pharmacy. Toward the end of my use, I had tried to get by without them, but still needed some. They only give you the way the doctor prescribed them, so you had to cut back your use or run out. When I went to get a legitimate refill, the previous pharmacy tech had incorrectly written the dosing prescription and said I wasn't due for more yet. What? I trust my doctor to prescribe what I need, not some pharmacy receptionist who graduated H.S. Finally the doctor intervened and I got my pills. Those were the last I needed, and I did well after that.

Another example of how honest people get ripped off and forced to play by the same rules and the law violators.

We're not all drug addicts.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure it relevant but I was traveling this summer, did a Walmart pharmacy transfer, went for another refill in another state and was told a prescription can only be transferred once.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Carol1949
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the comments. We cannot ask our pharmacist anything because she is a control freak. I can guarantee you she would not help with any information needed.

We have decided my husband needs to stop taking the pain pills and suffer. However, I think our plans for RVing will not come to fruition because he won't be able to travel without the meds. He has trouble getting his meds from our own pharmacy every month. We are waiting to hear if she will even fill it or not today. Gotta love California. We cannot wait to move out of this state.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Your doctor can issue up to three separate 30 day prescriptions. This is the 90 day rule that satisfy the need for 90 day supplies while still not violating the no refill laws. That's the easy part.

The hard part is every state enacts their own pharmacy controls and you may not be able to fill the prescription. Way to many people blame the feds when its really the state that makes things so hard. Your local pharmacist should be able to look up each state you plan to have a prescription refilled and tell you what needs to be done based on those state laws.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
New federal laws on narcotics 30days at a time only, new script each month from instate to curb the opioid abuse. I can't even get them from the VA any where but home.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the state you are in and the drug chain you use. Some states will not accept prescriptions from out of state doctors. Some states will not accept paper prescriptions--only those transmitted electronically. Some states limit refills and the amount dispensed at one time. All of these restrictions apply in TN.

In your shoes I would talk to your pharmacy and find out the exact rules for the states you will be in.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Wife takes some narcotics. We have not had any issue on picking up drugs on the road. When returning home she needs to get a new prescription. Her Dr. gave several prescriptions with extended dates on first couple of trips. She now has 90 day refill. Yes, that is odd, but Dr. and insurance companies OKed it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker