cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food safety experts?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Question for anyone on the forum that's a food processor / safety expert...

The leafy greens shelves in my local grocer have been bare for days, apparently out of an abundance of caution about fecal matter contamination where-ever the greens are being grown.

I'm wondering, rather than destroying all the food, whether it be contaminated or not, why not irradiate it like other foods that are grown in questionable conditions?

Is irradiation damaging to the tender structure of a leafy green? Does the high water content and therefore density of the greens make effective irradiation problematic?

Is it simply a logistics problem, given the very short shelf life of fresh greens, that the time from harvest to initial processor, to irradiation facility, to distributor and finally the grocer would have too much product loss?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
10 REPLIES 10

Scallo
Explorer
Explorer
Recently stumbled upon this scallop recipe.
https://club.cooking/recipe/baked-scallops/
The dish enjoyed the whole of my family.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I work in a convenience store part time and last week I had to through 200 prepared salads away. This is the biggest chain of stores in WI/MN/IA and every store tossed every salad. It is better for public opinion to have an empty shelf rather than a sick customer. I agree with the decision to dump everything. I had food poisoning about 30 years ago and do not wish that on anyone. Three days in the hospital getting sick at the mere mention of food. I was in the hospital for dehydration, I could not keep anything, including water, down.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I remember seeing that food washing snake oil years ago. I think the FDA killed the main ingredient, proving it had little effect on microbials.

Bare shelves again today.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
I have lived overseas in several countries where you bought special disinfectant solution to wash all fruits and vegetables before serving them. ALL restaurants used it as well. But no store is gooing to take the legal risk of treating that food for the customer.

This makes no sense! A grocer would not take the risk, but a restaurant would?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The primary reason suppliers aren't attempting the irradiation and washes is simply COST. They would not be able to sell enough after all the bad publicity to recover the costs of treating the greens. They make great composts I hear.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you have no electric power to keep your engine block warmer going, then your only option is to start the engine every few hours, let it warm up, and then turn if off again for a few more hours, and keep repeating. I don't know about your engine block heater, but I do know the one in my truck is quite the power hungry hog.

Using the block heater to sterilize contaminated lettuce sounds interesting 🙂

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no electric power to keep your engine block warmer going, then your only option is to start the engine every few hours, let it warm up, and then turn if off again for a few more hours, and keep repeating. I don't know about your engine block heater, but I do know the one in my truck is quite the power hungry hog.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm261680.htm

The FDA has approved a variety of foods for irradiation in the United States including:
•Beef and Pork
•Crustaceans (e.g., lobster, shrimp, and crab)
•Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
•Lettuce and Spinach
•Poultry
•Seeds for Sprouting (e.g., for alfalfa sprouts)
•Shell Eggs
•Shellfish - Molluscan
(e.g., oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops)
•Spices and Seasonings

Just the logistics would have been to much.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
To the best of my knowledge you cannot irradiate fresh vegetables successfully.

I have lived overseas in several countries where you bought special disinfectant solution to wash all fruits and vegetables before serving them. ALL restaurants used it as well. But no store is gooing to take the legal risk of treating that food for the customer.

This can be bought here but I have not seen any lately.

The recent removal from the shelves was supposed to be for Romaine Lettuce from California and Arizona. I have been eating all kinds of lettuce during this time with no problem...but then again I have lived in such diverse places as Cambodia, Sierral Leone and Egypt so my guts are full of great bacteria that protects me.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
All your poop would glow in the dark....
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.