cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet pipe

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law has a Salem trailer. The 3"pipe from toilet to tank looks like it goes to about 2" from bottom on tank. Therefore the toilet solids will not flow out in the tank. I think the pipe needs to be shortened. My question is the pipe gluedto a fitting in the tank, or does it slide in a rubber type grommet?
12 REPLIES 12

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Timtation wrote:
Dremel tool with the flexible extensรฌon, use the circle saw blade and cut the pipe an inch or two higher and repeat until it extends about 1/4 of the depth of the tank. By cutting in small increments there is a good chance of flushing them without blocking the discharge pipe. FWIW

Sounds like a good way to trade one problem for another.

With that much opening can you do 4 vertical cuts with a long keyhole saw then make the circumference cuts? If so they should pass the outlet. A wet vac hose would fit in the dump pipe and might be able to pull them out. Alternatively if they don't bounce too far out of the vertical drop one might get them from the top.
Agreed that two quarters is probably the limit to trust to flow so the procedure would be tedious but, is that worse than the current problem? Good luck

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Timtation wrote:
Dremel tool with the flexible extensรฌon, use the circle saw blade and cut the pipe an inch or two higher and repeat until it extends about 1/4 of the depth of the tank. By cutting in small increments there is a good chance of flushing them without blocking the discharge pipe. FWIW

Sounds like a good way to trade one problem for another.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Timtation wrote:
The pipe to be cut is 3".
The pipe you would try to flush the cutoff piece thru is also 3"

That isn't gonna work.

It will probably plug up the dump valve section .
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
2" from the BOTTOM is definitely not right. I can't believe anyone would think that it is normal. If it really is like that, you are going to have to fix it. Is this a new trailer? That would be a warranty item. If an old trailer, pipe might have slid down. Doubtful that anyone would live with it like that for long term ownership, but then some people never use their toilet, so anything is possible.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
My son-in-law has a Salem trailer. The 3"pipe from toilet to tank looks like it goes to about 2" from bottom on tank. Therefore the toilet solids will not flow out in the tank. I think the pipe needs to be shortened. My question is the pipe gluedto a fitting in the tank, or does it slide in a rubber type grommet?

Does it just look like it or is it actually 2" from the bottom?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
That 2" gap is way too little.

The pipe may be glued and may be inserted into a rubber bushing. In my RV it is glued. You will need to remove the toilet and take the screws from the flange to find out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
2" is just looking for a place to plug up. mine just dumps in the top or near the top if you have some water in the tank you have no problems.
Jay D.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The RVs I've had have always been like that. I think the idea is that helps the extra water you SHOULD be using disperse the solids when you flush instead of just washing over the pile to the sides of the tank. Should not be a problem if you always dump an extra bowl or two of water after a flush. There is probably a dried up partial "poop pyramid" stuck to the bottom of the tank making for a difficult flush.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Unfortunately trailers are all different and the pipe could be glued into a collar or only a slip fit into a bushing. You're probably going to have to pull the toilet and unscrew the flange to figure out which you have. 2 inches seems extreme, but if the solids are staying in the pipe then I would bet you have a slip fit that can be pulled up higher and trimmed off.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2" from the bottom of the tank? I've never seen one like that. Sounds like a problem to me.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
All are made that way. Sh.t floats and most solids are breaking down. Dump when tank is full and use lots of water when flushing.
al