cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie trying to set up Megawatt for charging

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure out what all I need to set up a Megawatt for charging 2 120 amp AGM batteries.

I was looking at the s-400 Megawatt,cuting one end off some cheap 4 gauge jumper cables from amazon.

What else do I need to start charging? Digital volt meter hooked up to Megawatt?
44 REPLIES 44

Explorer II
Explorer II
Great. It sounds like you had the Megawatt output shorted. It's good to know how well it can take the abuse.

Enjoy your trip
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
HIT THE ROAD BURPS and dont'cha come back until your skin becomes several shades browner and you have a perpetual grin plastered across your face ๐Ÿ™‚

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
SUCCESS! IT's working!! Thanks Tom M and 2112 and MEX, I had the megawatt connected to the wrong battery terminals. I switched those around and got 13.6 volts across the two batteries and my LCD amp/voltage meter that's connected to megawatt is now working.

Off to Mexico Tuesday morning.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would hazard a guess power is not getting to the batteries. Disconnect leads both of them from the batteries. Batteries, not some obscure "I think these are connected to the batteries" junction. Then re-test.

Explorer II
Explorer II
And connect the Megawatt as such

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your batteries are connected properly, but your Megawatt is connected to the wrong battery terminals. Connect to the positive of one battery and to the negative of the other battery.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Need to check that battery wiring

if series they are 'end to end' backwards

or in parallel even backwards

but even if parallel properly for 6v, they make a low resistance short to megawatt
14v trying to charge 6v

I have thought about this, but the lights in the camper and everything else 12 volts works.

I have pos+ to Neg+ connected together of the two batteries and then pos+ from camper to pos+ battery terminal, same for Neg.

I also show 13 volts inside camper according to my Trimetric and solar charge controller.

I am going to check things over in the morning in the light of day. I was hoping to leave for Mexico on monday.

MrWizard
When I check the voltage of the batteries, across the positive terminal on one battery and negative terminal on the other battery I get 0.02 volts, but when I check the battery individually out of the camper they show 6.2 volts

Need to check that battery wiring

if series they are 'end to end' backwards

or in parallel even backwards

but even if parallel properly for 6v, they make a low resistance short to megawatt
14v trying to charge 6v
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I am checking the battery voltage across the series link and getting the 0.02 volts. checking a single battery reveals what I would expect 6.2 volts.

Switch on the side is set to 110 volts.

Still confused why I get 2 volts checking the megawatt terminals with it hooked up to the batteries but when its ON but not hooked up it shows 14.8 volts like I would expect.

Also my little cheap LCD volt/amp meter I have hooked up to the megawatt works when the Megawatt is on and not connected to the batteries but doesn't come on when connected to the batteries.

I have been using standard hand held multi meter for all my tests.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
On the starboard SIDE of the unit is a slide switch.

110/220

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you checking battery voltage across the series link or across the posts with the charger and loads on them?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Well I screwed something up or I am missing something. I got the **** thing hooked up, but when I check the voltage with a multi meter on the pos. and neg of the Megawatt I get 2 volts? Seems weird. WIth the the Megawatt on but not hooked up to the batteries, it shows 14.8 volts on my multimeter. I am confused about why I am getting two very different readings. My batteries are 6 volts in series.

When I check the voltage of the batteries, across the positive terminal on one battery and negative terminal on the other battery I get 0.02 volts, but when I check the battery individually out of the camper they show 6.2 volts. ?? I know the Megawatt is working because the fan comes on, and over time I can feel the cables from the Megawatt to the batteries get warm, also my Trimetric inside the camper shows the voltage rising, it started out dead at 10 volts and quickly when to 14.0 volts over an hour or so.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My Megawatt based Hyperwatt 400 has run one week solid (8 days) putting out 56 amps day and night. Extreme modification, two larger fans, caps and rectifiers and larger chokes. Fully recharged a 14 L-16 bank solar home (48-volt) 6 cells at a time. Owner was waiting for an Outback inverter.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Panasonic-HA-680uF-200v-105c-Radial-Electrolytic-Capacitor-25mm-X-40mm...

MAJOR Capacitor upgrade

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-SCHOTTKY-RECTIFIER-DIODE-IR-VISHAY-TO-247-60CPQ150-60CPQ150PBF/3622559...

Direct interchange 300% ampere over capacity 150% voltage increase schottky rectifier upgrade.

The two upgrades plus fan ventilation above makes the Megawatt more bulletproof than any converter, inverter, perverter on the market as far as finals power is concerned.