cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lady Bugs?

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Well we haven't used the 5th wheel in about 5 months until yesterday when we hooked up to it and pulled it about 440 miles where we stopped for the night and went to bed. When we got up this morning there were all of these bugs that looked like Lady Bugs on the rear Picture window. Anyone have any ideal what they are and how do we get rid of them? Other then killing each and every one of them. What if they've laid eggs?
Thanks
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.
14 REPLIES 14

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We get our home plastered right after first cold snap and warm up each year with millions on west facing front of home and sides about halfway back.
Some got inside. This year not but one inside and half as many outside.
Neighbor talking to wife, had the same problem.
I'm not sure how far they fly but they seem to rid the ari from the southwest. We get smoke from La, Texas etc when they burn fields and dirt and chemicals when they plow.
It will be warmer and rain the next five or six days and if the sun shines we may get plastered with them again.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Asian bean beetles. Their numbers are dependent on aphids, their primary food source, Aphids on soybeans were especially plentiful this year, resulting in a summer long feast for bean beetle larvae, which means a bumper crop of the adult beetles.

My neighbor grows soybeans right behind my house.

Best way I've found to deal with these little pests is with a shop vac. They do not breed indoors, mostly they find a cozy spot inside the walls and die.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
likely japanese beetles. we had them once and finally, giving up on killing them, vacuumed them up instead.

This is the best way . They really stink if you kill them. We had an infestation of the buggers last year. It will take several days to rid.
I even had to take down the inner skylight over shower. Open the shades & turn on all the lights.

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Vacuumed a bunch of them. Found that a small bug-zapper light will attract them and take care of them if they touch the grid. They also accumulate under the light (its sitting on a counter top) and may still be alive. Vacuuming them is really easy since they're in one place.

The TT is winterized so I check it every few days. It works great so far.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
They were brought here to eat aphids that hang on the soybean crops. Stayed at a campground across from a soybean field that had just been harvested, Never saw so many of the darn things. I was getting rid of them for a year. Sucked them up with our vacuum. B.O.

X2
And unlike our native real Lady Bug these imported Asian beetles "Bite" and can be harmful to dogs.

......Asian beetles can bite humans with enough force to break the skin, although pain tends to be minimal. Dogs can suffer more from a red or orange lady beetle bite. Although uncommon, Asian beetles can become lodged inside a dogโ€™s mouth, which can lead to ulcers and discomfort. Since pet owners donโ€™t regularly look inside a dogโ€™s mouth, one sign that Asian beetles might be inside is if your pet stops eating or if you notice foaming at the mouth or drooling. Pet owners can usually remove these beetles at home without a trip to the vetโ€™s office.

In addition to biting humans and our pets, Asian beetles release an unpleasant odor from their legs when threatened. The yellow fluid that often accompanies this odor can also stain walls and fabric.....
https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com/blog/asian-beetle-vs-ladybug/

If only the gov would stop experimenting with importing plants and bugs without studying the full effect it can have on our environment. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
They were brought here to eat aphids that hang on the soybean crops. Stayed at a campground across from a soybean field that had just been harvested, Never saw so many of the darn things. I was getting rid of them for a year. Sucked them up with our vacuum.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve encountered โ€œstink bugsโ€ too but Iโ€™ve also had lady bugs. When the weather starts to turn cold they look for somewhere to hibernate. The bad news is that, once they choose somewhere, they leave a pheromone behind.

I first encountered them in OK. They literally covered my FW. Once I headed south into warmer weather they disappeared. Every year since theyโ€™d show up once the weather got colder then disappear as I moved on to somewhere warmer.
Larry

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
I found that masking tape worked great for getting the individual ones. Also Raid makes a spray that is lemon and says on the label it will kill them and it does! Spray around any place you see they are coming it. We had them very BAD in Natchez about this time last year.
gloriebkj

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Inside or outside? I guess they must be inside so I withdraw my suggestion of sweeping them. They also bite!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I deal with those Asian beetles with the vacuum sweper.

If I recall, those critters can bite also

If it is just one or two here and there, I scoop them up with a piece of paper and toss them out the door.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Asian beetles, they come in from the cold. Don't smash them they stink. Best to scoop them up somehow and dispose of them.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
They are not "lady bugs" they were imported and very annoying. They crawled in when the weather started turning cooler and now come out of their hiding places when they get warm. If you crush them they stink and will smell up your vacuum cleaner. I use an empty water bottle to catch them and then they go in the garbage. Slow one at a time but no mess or stink. Jim.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Thank your government for them. Bugs ๐Ÿ™‚

I get a lot of them in my barn, Raid flying insect spray will drop them quickly, but they keep coming.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
likely japanese beetles. we had them once and finally, giving up on killing them, vacuumed them up instead.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle