cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from canoe camping days

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up an idea during my days as camp cook for weeks-long canoe trips: using shelf-stable, canned meats in recipes. Not only the usual suspects (think Spam, corned beef) but also seafood.
One of my wife's favorite meals is a can of Progresso Manhattan-style clam chowder with a can of clams added to boost up the content. Or, by also adding a bit of tomato paste and some Italian seasoning, you've created "vongole in salsa rossa." Serve over pasta.
Canned crabmeat can be used to make anything fancy. I use crab along with a box of instant fettucine Alfredo to produce a tasty dinner. All shelf stable.
Here's another hint. Miniatures from the liquor store. Keeping minis of sherry and brandy in your larder will do wonders for packaged and canned meals.
Now that we travel in a trailer, we still keep a few of these items on hand in case our stay is extended, stores are far away or we're to tired from the road to cook much.

Bon appétit!
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
10 REPLIES 10

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you have an Rv you probably have a refrigerator.
Most of our river trips are around a week. We bring fresh food in a large cooler with blocks of ice. Even in summer, canned or vegetarian meals are usually the last day or two.

What the heck, no one brings a fishing rod? Lol!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have an Rv you probably have a refrigerator.
Most of our river trips are around a week. We bring fresh food in a large cooler with blocks of ice. Even in summer, canned or vegetarian meals are usually the last day or two.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are all great ideas!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
That’s awesome. Sounds like you got to live out my Huckleberry Fin fantasy!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to cook on a fire. We have a campsite in the backyard. A Dutch Oven goes along on all canoe and raft trips. A couple of years ago we did a week on an unnamed river in Oregon for my 65th birthday. I baked a cake. One of the best nights in history.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grew up tent camping. Six people in a sedan. Coleman stove, pot of water, peel and chunk 2-3;potatoes, bag of egg noodles, add a sliced onion halfway thru, drain most of the water off (reserve some) add a can of corned beef, fork it up. Sometimes a can of peas. Served on paper plates. One pan dirty, no dishes to wash. Nothing to keep cool.

Dad was the camp cook. He had quite a few no cooler meals.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that tuna, crab, and salmon are available in the vacuum foil pouches (they taste better too), they can really sass up those quick dinners.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Why would you quit canoeing?
Just wondering.

Health issues involving strength, balance and mobility. I can, and do, still paddle every now and then.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you quit canoeing?
Just wondering.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Kewl, I'm alway looking for 'Easy ways' to cook when I'm just too lazy to.. so the crab thing looks good, I'll have to look more closely at them next Wally-run...
Thanks.. fun eh?? heheh... luv cooking..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website