cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Your Bed Cover, Cover Your 5'ver Hitch

fivewheelhut
Explorer
Explorer
Hope everyone is well. Question I have is do you have a bed cover, ( roll up like a Retrax Pro ) that " clears " your fifth wheel hitch as it's closed.

If so what type cover and hitch and truck do you have.

Thanks so much
30 REPLIES 30

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Fold-A-Cover, Pullrite SG. Covers it just fine.

Maybe the Q should be...

Does anyone have a cover (brand) that does *NOT* cover their hitch?..:@

....by intent - or accident (bad choice) and maybe wish they didn't have that brand!

~

Good "should be" for the OPs question......
Maybe I missed it -
but did anyone say their cover did *NOT* cover their hitch?..:h

:W

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Mine exactly the same as Rob. No interference with the hitch.

RobWNY wrote:
I have a BakFlip F1 folding cover and a B&W 16K hitch. When hooked up, I can keep the tonneau section closest to the window closed so I can keep an eye on things. When not towing, I can close the tonneau fully. There's no contact with the hitch. If I need full access to the bed, the tonneau opens all the way and rests against the back of the truck. I hope this is what you were looking for.
https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-f1

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Truxedo lo-pro-soft-roll-up tonneau cover from autoanything.com.

I don't have any clearance issues, and it covers my hitch just fine

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
dennysbabe2 wrote:
While searching for info on Bakflip F1 on a 6 1/2 foot bed I saw your post and I'm wondering about how much room you have between the folded cover and the 5th wheel hitch if you don't fold it up against the window? Wanting to order one but not sure the folded cover will interfere with the hitch.

Not sure the dimensions are same, but I have the Bakflip MX4 on my 2011 Ram with B&W Companion hitch. I havenโ€™t measured, but I have a couple inches clearance between cover and hitch with the cover folded but not against the cab. After I installed it I jack-knifed the trailer with the hitch in towing position and still had plenty of clearance.

Amazon link
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

dennysbabe2
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I have a BakFlip F1 folding cover and a B&W 16K hitch. When hooked up, I can keep the tonneau section closest to the window closed so I can keep an eye on things. When not towing, I can close the tonneau fully. There's no contact with the hitch. If I need full access to the bed, the tonneau opens all the way and rests against the back of the truck. I hope this is what you were looking for.
https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-f1
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/patriot-16k
2017 Ram SRW 6'5" bed 6.4 Hemi 3.73's

While searching for info on Bakflip F1 on a 6 1/2 foot bed I saw your post and I'm wondering about how much room you have between the folded cover and the 5th wheel hitch if you don't fold it up against the window? Wanting to order one but not sure the folded cover will interfere with the hitch.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
....But I think they are all going to clear a cover. Unless you had your hitch head adjusted up above the level of the bed sides, and I don't think any normal setup is going to do that.

Ditto.

Ive never seen a Fifth wheel hitch up higher than the sidewalls of a truck bed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, Extang Tuff Tonneau III with a Reese 20k hitch. Rolls up with room to spare.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Advantage Hard Hat. It folds up into 3 sections. No problems!

I have the B&W Companion 20 k slider.

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Access Lorado over Reese 15k on 2004 2500hd. No problem with clearance over hitch.
2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty basic Truxedo roll up and it clears my B/W slider by a couple inches.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, '17 F350 CCSB and a Roll n Lock cover.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

arkie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
htss wrote:
I have a Truxedo rollup with a B&W Companion on a 2012 Silverado 2500. My only complaint is that the rails add about an inch of height to the bed sides and thus I lose about an inch of clearance from the bed sides to the fifth wheel.

My Truxedo is a great cover, but I'll second HTSS's complaint about losing the inch of needed clearance.
Mark and Dianna
along with Hank the Wonderdog
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 CC Silverback 33IK

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Russ.

My Pace Edwards clears after I cut down the pull handle on my Reese 16K slider.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the only issue you might run into is on the Reese, clearing the handle. That can be cut so it doesn't stick up and then cover will cover.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"