cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What was the biggest flub on a trip?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always set our items we're loading next to the RV door. On a Thanksgiving trip some years ago, for some inexplicable reason the cooler with the turkey and other refrigerator foods was set on the front stoop. About 150 miles down the road our neighbor called and said, "Did you forget something?"

He got a free turkey and food and we had to rustle Thanksgiving dinner from whatever we could find at a convenience store because all the grocery stores were closed. We did concoct a sausage and egg casserole that year that's become a regular menu item.

There's always a silver lining.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
59 REPLIES 59

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the 5ver out of the shed for a trip and forgot to fold handle back at the 5ver door. Handle caught on the side of the building and bent it backwards.

Pulled into a campground at 10:00 at night and realized I was at wrong camp site. Got back in truck and pulled into camp site next to me and accidentally hooked the picnic table with the side of the 5ver that i didn't see due to the darkness. Managed to put a crease all the way down the side in the lower aluminum skirt.

Backed the 5ver into the shed after returning from a trip and came within a 1/4 inch of pushing the back of the 5ver through the back wall. Near disaster in that one. I usually put a board on the floor in the correct location to stop me when i'm backed in far enough, forgot to put the board down and backed up too far.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep remembering the time that we missed a cucumber in the fridge door compartment during the final cleanout of the fall.

Cucumbers degrade into interesting parts in a closed fridge over the late fall/winter/early spring...

Yuck.

Or backing the trailer up to the fence, but forgot that the bike rack was still on the trailer adding about 3 feet to the length. Forunately, just broke a couple of cedar pickets & bent the bike rack a bit. Shoulda had a spotter on that one I guess.

Good times!

CC

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Driving through Palm Springs CA in the summer with loaded truck and heavy trailer. 110 degrees and who knows how hot pavement wasโ€ฆ
Checked truck air pressure with alternate air gauge bc could not find my good one. 125 psi (I run 75-80 normally, tires were near end of their lifespan too). "this thing is broken", I kept driving, Had a huge blow-out in AZ. Tore the fender up bad, ripped the fender well liner out.
I guess the gauge was working after allโ€ฆ

Same trip, set coffee pot down on the wide stove grates and it toppled between said wire grates and spilled into my perfect omelet in the frying pan. Tossed omelet to the critters, started over. Made new coffee and omelet. This a much less stressful mistake than the tire.

edit:
I was towing a very small trailer and could not see or feel it behind the TC. The axle broke and one wheel went crooked. A passer-by pointed to trailer and I could see one corner now. I had drug trailer on the bare metal 11 miles. It had worn down to the hub and was un-towable n un-fixable. I was in middle of nowhere. I decided cheaper to just abandon the trailer in the corn field rather than rent a trailer (one way rental) and get it home. No fence between interstate and side road so I drove over grass to side road. Took off license plate, s/n, anything salvageable like the hydro lifts, and put all contents into TC. I hated to leave it back as it was light and home made and perfect for what I needed it for. Probably multiple rules broken that dayโ€ฆ I do not confirm this is a true story either or that it was me in it.
Last time I drove by that place trailer was gone.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I watched asโ€ฆ. A Young couple, new campersโ€ฆsqueezed their Class C between our's and their power pole. Two days later, early morning, after they had been up till after midnight talking (loud), they come running up from the CG bathhouse. Wife jumps in the side house door, the guy jumps in the "drivers" door. He starts the engine, pauses for about 10-15 secs, then puts it in "D" and smartly moves outโ€ฆ

โ€ฆ.destroying the slide out, ripping the power cable off the pole, tore the water line out of the box, shooting a geyser a mile high!!!

Live and learn, but try not to do it the hard way!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip on the Blue Ridge Pky. One evening while camping at Pisgah campground we were enjoying a campfire,it was warm summer evening so we were up late. I had failed to close the camper door for several hours. While we busy telling ghost stories and so on the camper was filling up with mice. It was pandemonium to say least, we were up most of the night trying to catch and evict them. Finally got rid of the last one about a week later.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
3 days before our 5000 mile annual trip, i had the bedroom windows open all day, and had just closed one of them when i heard a thud and the sound of shattering glass... A big bluebird had just run straight into the window that I just closed 6 seconds earlier! Not sure if it was my flub, or the birds....
Proud father of a US Marine

charming
Explorer
Explorer
TurboJimmy's signature photo reminds me of our visit to Lake Greenwood SP in SC. It was at the end of our first long motorhome trip. The roads are extremely tight, it was not designed for motorhomes when it as originally laid out. I kept telling DH he was too far to the right and yep, he wedged the motorhome up against a sapling. Couldn't go forward or backwards. Per the park ranger who assisted us in getting loose they are not allowed to cut down trees even though that one was in a bad location. I then asked him if they ever heard of salt as a solution to unwanted trees? He had to borrow a large size ratchet thing to pull the sapling off the motorhome. New slide cover, new awning.

AT Lake Blackshear/Georgia Veterans SP DH tripped on the fire pit. No broken bones but a trip to the ER, stitches, etc. I got to drive all the way home.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Well is wasn't rv related in it self, however last trip with the trailer was walking thru a empty site, full concrete pad, had been raining during week, did not see the dirt that washed onto pad, slipped and fell , broke my kneecap.
Wife had to drive trailer back home, spent 2 months off work, surgery with pins in my knee now. Never forget that trip!!

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Our very first camping trip with our new trailer. I had printed and laminated a check list, had it laying on the tailgate of the truck while we were hooking up to head home. About that time a neighbor came over asking about the trailer and we got to talking while I still worked since it was very cold out. Started lifting the jack and noticed that the jack really sounded like it was struggling....about that time I remembered #1 on my checklist - "Raise the stabilizer jacks".....

I immediately lowered the tongue jack and by some miracle the rear stabilizers and frame were not damaged.

I no longer use a checklist for hook-up stuff, but I do still use one for packing. I found a free phone app called "Checkli" that works very good.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GKAbbott wrote:
Years ago while camping with my wife and brother, my wife lost her camper keys. I went to a local locksmith and had two new sets made. I gave one set to my wife and the other set to my brother. Later I went for a bike ride and left my keys in the rv. When I returned, they were both sitting outside in 90 degree weather. When I asked what was going on, they told me we were locked out. Fortunately one of th ed windows wasn't locked. I removed the screen and with some geriatric acrobatics managed to get through the window and unlock the door.

Should have borrowed a kid from one of the campground neighbors.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago while camping with my wife and brother, my wife lost her camper keys. I went to a local locksmith and had two new sets made. I gave one set to my wife and the other set to my brother. Later I went for a bike ride and left my keys in the rv. When I returned, they were both sitting outside in 90 degree weather. When I asked what was going on, they told me we were locked out. Fortunately one of th ed windows wasn't locked. I removed the screen and with some geriatric acrobatics managed to get through the window and unlock the door.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
js218 wrote:
Visiting friends in Carthage Mo. hooked up the car trailer and left to go to Flagstaff Az. got to New Mexico when I realized I had forgot to put the Explorer in the trailer. Oh well live and learn.

Jim

That would be hard to pick up another one at Walmart otr. :R :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We have been lucky so far with not too many mistakes! We did get distracted with a neighbor camping talking to us. We went to pull out and discovered that we forgot to remove the jacks that go between the tires! Bend them right is half!!
No longer use them!
I have had a good laugh from all these posts. Thanks
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Branson years ago with a 28'TT. We were fishing and the kids and I were catching fish like crazy. Husband cleaned all the fish and put them in the freezer. We load up getting a late start home (6 hrs.) because of good fishing! Stop half way in the middle of nowhere to go to the bathroom. Open up the door and the freezer had not latched and fish were swimming all over the TT.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!