cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Perfect Family Trip: West Coast Edition

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We're back! If anyone has followed our other "Perfect Family Trip" installments, you will know that although we don't have years of full timing under our belts, we have done 5 other major summer road trips. NONE quite as epic as this one may be!!! But we need your HELP!

Background on how this trip developed.

First, we have a new to us Class A motorhome, all other trips were done with a truck and travel trailer. We never anticipated traveling as much as we have, and I believe/hope the advantages of a Class A will be appreciated.

Second, We have a 10 day Alaskan cruise leaving out of Vancouver, BC in the middle of our vacation window.

It would be epic enough to fly out to Vancouver and enjoy the cruise. However, we would like to tie our summer road trip into the cruise! Our schedule allows for 26 days before the cruise, 10 days on the cruise, and 20 days after the cruise. That uses up the entire window without wiggle room on either side.

My question to you before getting into the details is... Should we push or should we cut back?

I'm attaching a link to a very preliminary "Biggest Loop" option. I stumbled into RVparky.com and it seems like a VERY helpful tool.

https://www.rvparky.com/trip/6086298095321088

I know it will short change some attractions. I know there are 10 of 50 are 500 mile days. There is no rest built in, unless you count the cruise. I feel compelled to stuff the itinerary because the Pacific Northwest is such a drive that we will not go again with our kids.

Funny thing about cutting the loop smaller, is that it doesn't change total mileage all that much. Straight to Vancouver and back saves only a thousand miles at best. Plus, if we cut the loop too short, I have to start questioning the value in spending 3k in fuel and 10 days crossing the country.

First change I could see would be to cut out California and start on the Oregon Coast. It doesn't save much in miles, but it would allow to add days into attractions in the upper portion.

Since we have to get passports anyway and the Canadian Parks are relatively close, I really, really don't want to cut those.

I see many comment about running the kids ragged and bored. We have a real good handle on our boys opinion of this. They have already done 30k miles and over 250 days of Summer RV road trips with us and not once have they complained or become irritable. It's not one of our concerns.

Thanks for ANY input. Once we come to terms with the scope of the loop, we can dig in deeper to the attractions and length of stay at each. Got to get reservations started very soon!

Rolling Ragu
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
39 REPLIES 39

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I hadn't looked at the roads that closely yet, but intended to. Sounds like you're advising that 299 is known for being tight and twisty? I'm certainly willing to adjust.

I just mentioned the Mormon Tabernacle to my wife and it just might become our plan!

Chicago...off the list. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's been such a long winter, with a never ending list of little projects to get the rig ready. I'm in the middle of installing base plates and wiring to our towed. Still have to get Passports. Lots to do.

mjd190
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is a bit older, but I found it while researching the long trip we are planning to make, starting March 25.
We also tend to drive long distances to get to where we want to spend our time.
I noticed that your route from lake Tahoe to Oregon Coast was via hwy 299. After reading many posts on several forums, we are planning to take hwy 20 west of truckee to hwy 101.
I do not like twisty narrow roads, and my definition of them is probably different than many.
We just drove through Chicago on our way home from a ski trip. We were in rush hour, but I wouldn't want to be in an RV in downtown Chicago. My job driving is copilot, and I thought my DH knew where I90/94 went, but even when I mentioned that we were going through Chicago in rush hour, he didn't veto it, so that is the route we took. It was a very silent drive, with both of us in a bad mood.
As far as SLC, while this might not appeal to everyone, we enjoyed the free organ recital at the Mormon Tabernacle.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy, I just revisited this thread and now realize that I must have sounded very forgetful during our phone conversation. I tell ya...the older I get.

An update and some good news. I've been playing the reservation game and landed some tough spots. I have spots in Olympic NP, Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff! For the Canadian parks, I was on in the first few minutes and watched all of the sited disappearing right in front of me. I ended up landing my sites with only a few left! The website was bogged down, the phones were keeping me on hold. It wasn't fun.

Now that the course, dates and reservations have come together, I will be asking more detailed questions soon! Thank you everyone.

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Triumphguy, thanks again for the tip on Roadtrippers. I've explored it a bit and it seems VERY handy and easy to use.

You're welcome! I've found it can get heavy sometimes on the phone or computer with all the options turned on, but super useful to find diversions...

Yeah you're right about being busy. I keep thinking it will settle down soon. We are going to take a break after Christmas and visit the coast for a few days.

We have a Roadmaster All-Terrain Falcon (Falcon 2 maybe?). It's been through a lot and reliable, but if there was a better tow bar for binding when trying to release the locking arms, I'd have a look. And I would definitely put braking in the Honda, especially since the little "robot boxes" are improving and more portable than before. If you're going to add a baseplate, then adding the breakaway switch for that box is an easy add. It should then be able to switch between your Honda and Jeep without an issue.

Good question about books. What I've learned, I've picked up in biographies or Ken Burn's films. It would be nice to find a book like what Ken Burns did - I'll keep an eye out....
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Triumphguy, thanks again for the tip on Roadtrippers. I've explored it a bit and it seems VERY handy and easy to use.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy wrote:
Jumping in here, if only to subscribe and then copy your itinerary when we do this ๐Ÿ™‚

My two cents:
- Like that you added TR NP, with our trip to Yellowstone next year I just had to plan a stop to experience some of Teddy Roosevelt. Call me sentimental, but guys like him and Mather were so instrumental, they deserve the time.

- Our meter for driving was 3 days of about 550 miles each. After that I had to stop for a pool day, hike day or something other than sitting in the motorhome and hammering down the interstate. Kids were the same. They were fine to hang out for a few days in anticipation of where we were going, but only so much of it.

- My most comfortable speed on straight interstate was 62mph. If there was a lot of wind, it was a toss up. Slow down and it's easier to maintain, but then the trucks blow by and mess you up - so sometimes I'd find a truck to follow and increase speed, just to reduce the differential to passing semis. That really only happened in OK and TX on I-40 last year (on the way out, not on the way back), maybe it was just a few days of high winds...

- Have you tried Roadtrippers? It's a great way to see what destinations are near your route.

- I may have missed it, but why not go around Chicago?

- Your Fit would be a great toad. Our VW is about as "heavy" as I'd like to go, and it's probably 1k lbs heavier than a Fit. True that a Jeep would be more fun, but are there places to rent a Jeep where you're going if you wanted? If you think you'd have a Jeep as well, I'd look into a setup that will move with the vehicle. For example, a base plate is needed for each vehicle and then an RVI3 can be moved between each.

All I can think of for now ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey TriumphGuy! Glad to have you join in.

I hear good things about TRNP. Seems to be remote and quiet, which I like. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've been wanting to read some essential National Park books when we aren't on the road. John Muir maybe. I really enjoy the excerpts and quotes I see in the parks. Any recommendations? If you could read just one?

I agree, 3 days at 550 is about it before a break. For the last two years, we've been able to average more like 2 days at 400 before a break. That feels MUCH better, but we don't see nearly as much.

I've only driven the coach on our Hwy 11, heading out to Lake Keowee. It's pretty steep rolling hills. I found I had more trouble keeping my speed down than keeping it up. If I stopped paying attention, at one point I was at 75 on a long downhill and didn't realize it. I always have mileage on my mind (and safety), so I tend to stay 60-65.

Have not tried Roadtrippers. I will look for it.

I was thinking Chicago base on the Less Junk More Journey videos. They boondocked in the city and enjoy many things within walking distance. I HATE BIG CITIES, but was willing to try it for a day or two. Wouldn't hurt me to go around.

The transition to a motorhome was born from our enjoyment of off-roading in Moab and the San Juans of Colorado. The plan all along was to sell the truck and get a Wrangler. We definitely will, but that can probably wait until summer 2020 before it happens. I don't see this particular trip as being a Jeep kind of trip. I agree, the Honda is probably the perfect Toad for us. We've LOVED that car. It's a 2011 with 95k on it now. Hoping we have it another 10 years.

For tow bars, I had been researching the RoadMaster Sterling All-Terrain. I will probably end up with base plates for both vehicles. I wonder if I even need braking for the Honda? What do you think?

Would be nice to discuss all of this in person. Somebody is too busy! ๐Ÿ˜‰

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:

Thanks for this. It is so hard to just blow through Colorado, but being central like it is, I know we will pass through many more times. I don't feel like I want to sacrifice Pacific coast time for Colorado stops this time. But it is hard.

You are still Blowing through Colorado - with the longer drives I get you to Golden after a few hundred Miles - you will need a Dump refill and recharge Stop - Golden Clear Creek is Perfect, if you can get in. The rest are just way points to get the Map to Work ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm slow this morning...what is SLC?

Salt Lake City - You had two days there - I just blew those off - Putting one in Golden and the other wherever works.

Busskipper, you are one of the few that has confidence in how easy the miles will come. I hope you're right. You probably are. I wish winter wouldn't have come...it would be nice to get out on a few medium sized trips to get a feel. We will when spring breaks through.

Easy for Me to have Confidence in YOU - You will be doing the Driving, not me ๐Ÿ™‚ - Seriously, Pulling a Trailer with a Truck will just plain "wear you out" - Driving the Bus/Coach/MotorHome is just easier, so much easier. so much less stress, for you and the rest of the crew - more space for them = Happier - With your Little Toad you will not even Know it's Back there - Having followed your earlier Adventures, it's just like driving a really nice car it will surely be a Pleasure.

Might just need to make a one day run to Orlando - or to the Beach (600 miles +) spend the night and come back over Christmas/New Years - it will certainly prove the Point and help work out the Kincks ๐Ÿ™‚

Life will be so different in the Bus - When my Kids were young we did 928 miles once (My personal record - Understand I LOVE to Drive) on a trip out West in the Old 78'26 foot GMC - that was easy to Drive, when they were young and entertained in the back.

Hope this Helps,

The only reason 2 days were in SLC was for a break in the driving and we'd never been and like the skyline pictures. Not really great reasons. I thought maybe we'd find a must do in SLC. Maybe Golden would be better.

It's funny you mention a run down to Orlando. We had planned on doing exactly that for Christmas. It would make a good shake down trip. However, our summer plans, at the time, were to hang out in Colorado, which is cheap. This new trip was a surprise. Mind you, we just payed cash for the coach, garage for coach and other random expenses. We had planned a less expensive summer to give our savings recovery time, but we will surely spend twice to three times the money on this trip. So, we cut out any significant trip until summer. Local, weekend stuff for us. Besides money, my wife is taking 8 weeks off in the summer, don't want to push our luck.

We've done a few days over the years with the truck/trailer at about 700 miles. As the years go by, it is harder and harder. I have no problem up to 500, but everything after that is becoming painful. Or was!

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jumping in here, if only to subscribe and then copy your itinerary when we do this ๐Ÿ™‚

My two cents:
- Like that you added TR NP, with our trip to Yellowstone next year I just had to plan a stop to experience some of Teddy Roosevelt. Call me sentimental, but guys like him and Mather were so instrumental, they deserve the time.

- Our meter for driving was 3 days of about 550 miles each. After that I had to stop for a pool day, hike day or something other than sitting in the motorhome and hammering down the interstate. Kids were the same. They were fine to hang out for a few days in anticipation of where we were going, but only so much of it.

- My most comfortable speed on straight interstate was 62mph. If there was a lot of wind, it was a toss up. Slow down and it's easier to maintain, but then the trucks blow by and mess you up - so sometimes I'd find a truck to follow and increase speed, just to reduce the differential to passing semis. That really only happened in OK and TX on I-40 last year (on the way out, not on the way back), maybe it was just a few days of high winds...

- Have you tried Roadtrippers? It's a great way to see what destinations are near your route.

- I may have missed it, but why not go around Chicago?

- Your Fit would be a great toad. Our VW is about as "heavy" as I'd like to go, and it's probably 1k lbs heavier than a Fit. True that a Jeep would be more fun, but are there places to rent a Jeep where you're going if you wanted? If you think you'd have a Jeep as well, I'd look into a setup that will move with the vehicle. For example, a base plate is needed for each vehicle and then an RVI3 can be moved between each.

All I can think of for now ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:

Thanks for this. It is so hard to just blow through Colorado, but being central like it is, I know we will pass through many more times. I don't feel like I want to sacrifice Pacific coast time for Colorado stops this time. But it is hard.

You are still Blowing through Colorado - with the longer drives I get you to Golden after a few hundred Miles - you will need a Dump refill and recharge Stop - Golden Clear Creek is Perfect, if you can get in. The rest are just way points to get the Map to Work ๐Ÿ™‚

Salt Lake City - You had two days there - I just blew those off - Putting one in Golden and the other wherever works.

Busskipper, you are one of the few that has confidence in how easy the miles will come. I hope you're right. You probably are. I wish winter wouldn't have come...it would be nice to get out on a few medium sized trips to get a feel. We will when spring breaks through.

Easy for Me to have Confidence in YOU - You will be doing the Driving, not me ๐Ÿ™‚ - Seriously, Pulling a Trailer with a Truck will just plain "wear you out" - Driving the Bus/Coach/MotorHome is just easier, so much easier. so much less stress, for you and the rest of the crew - more space for them = Happier - With your Little Toad you will not even Know it's Back there - Having followed your earlier Adventures, it's just like driving a really nice car it will surely be a Pleasure.

Might just need to make a one day run to Orlando - or to the Beach (600 miles +) spend the night and come back over Christmas/New Years - it will certainly prove the Point and help work out the Kincks ๐Ÿ™‚

Life will be so different in the Bus - When my Kids were young we did 928 miles once (My personal record - Understand I LOVE to Drive) on a trip out West in the Old 78'26 foot GMC - that was easy to Drive, when they were young and entertained in the back.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Here is a revised map. It eliminates most of California, which I agree is a trip of its own. I took suggestions on the Oregon coast and thank you to Orion for your advice on the Canadian portion of the trip.

I believe I have 3-4 days I could use up elsewhere (or keep as a cushion).

Once we settle down on the loop itself, I will dig into researching best places to stay, specific sites and hikes. I imagine I'm okay on reservations now, but would like to have them nailed down by mid January.

Pacific Northwest Loop Option #2

Map out with some options - ๐Ÿ™‚ - Busskipper's MAP - Pushed the days/Milage a little more -as you will find it so much easier in the "A".

Long days to get you to Colorado (I pushed the mileage but I still think it's not that Bad for YOU), with a stop in Golden Clear CreekHere you can dump and Enjoy a day in the Town of Golden - Coors if needed - Creek for the Kids - Ball Fields - Town rec area just a block away with a pool and everything you could possibly want - Get a spot right on the Creek - and leave the next day - made it a short drive so you could have some time in Golden.

Next day to Dino NM - Through Berthoud Pass - Grand Lake - Rabbit Ears Pass - Steamboat - Craig - Dino Spend the night on the Green River in the Park.

Then you are on your own - IMHO skip SLC - catcher it later when you revisit the Upper Rockies again (Hard for me to say this as if I use all my Fingers and toes I still don't have all the WEEKS we have enjoyed SLC/Surrounds - Skied there for Years with the Kids).

Get on to the Redwoods on the Coast - As you get into the Northwest the List will Grow and you will still only see a fraction of what is there.

Don't Miss the Pacific coast at Every opportunity as it is just Beautiful.

Think saving Cali to 2020 is a sound decision - save it all but the Redwoods - ๐Ÿ™‚

Will be fun to see how this develops,

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
And here I was trying to set you up for a lunch meeting at the Cracker Barrel in Longview. That would have been nice.

And you have made a wise adjustment to your route. But. . . But I hope we can meet somewhere before those boys get much older.

So sorry. It isn't written in stone yet. That came to my mind too when adjusting the route. We will surely meet.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:
That looks like a great amount of time to spend in the Canadian Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. Revelstoke is a nice town and surrounded by mountains. Osoyoos is more of a beach, warm lake, and wine tour town!
With 11 days in Vancouver you should take a day trip up to Whistler and one to Butchart Gardens and Victoria on Vancouver Island, although two days would be better for the latter. You could do both these trips with public transportation as I don't think you have a toad?

We do have a toad. Either a Honda Fit or Jeep Wrangler. Haven't decided which would be best for this trip? Thinking the Fit. Lighter for easier towing and we're moving so quick that we won't be exploring much off-road.

Also, The time in Vancouver is not really in Vancouver. We're leaving on a cruise from there.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Here is a revised map. It eliminates most of California, which I agree is a trip of its own. I took suggestions on the Oregon coast and thank you to Orion for your advice on the Canadian portion of the trip.

I believe I have 3-4 days I could use up elsewhere (or keep as a cushion).

Once we settle down on the loop itself, I will dig into researching best places to stay, specific sites and hikes. I imagine I'm okay on reservations now, but would like to have them nailed down by mid January.

Pacific Northwest Loop Option #2

Map out with some options - ๐Ÿ™‚ - Busskipper's MAP - Pushed the days/Milage a little more -as you will find it so much easier in the "A".

Long days to get you to Colorado (I pushed the mileage but I still think it's not that Bad for YOU), with a stop in Golden Clear CreekHere you can dump and Enjoy a day in the Town of Golden - Coors if needed - Creek for the Kids - Ball Fields - Town rec area just a block away with a pool and everything you could possibly want - Get a spot right on the Creek - and leave the next day - made it a short drive so you could have some time in Golden.

Next day to Dino NM - Through Berthoud Pass - Grand Lake - Rabbit Ears Pass - Steamboat - Craig - Dino Spend the night on the Green River in the Park.

Then you are on your own - IMHO skip SLC - catcher it later when you revisit the Upper Rockies again (Hard for me to say this as if I use all my Fingers and toes I still don't have all the WEEKS we have enjoyed SLC/Surrounds - Skied there for Years with the Kids).

Get on to the Redwoods on the Coast - As you get into the Northwest the List will Grow and you will still only see a fraction of what is there.

Don't Miss the Pacific coast at Every opportunity as it is just Beautiful.

Think saving Cali to 2020 is a sound decision - save it all but the Redwoods - ๐Ÿ™‚

Will be fun to see how this develops,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
And here I was trying to set you up for a lunch meeting at the Cracker Barrel in Longview. That would have been nice.

And you have made a wise adjustment to your route. But. . . But I hope we can meet somewhere before those boys get much older.