cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadmaster auxillary toad brake inJeep Wrangler

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster 9001 auxiliary brake system which is a pneumatic cylinder attached to the brake pedal and a bracket under seat. Worked great in my Buick Lacross. Changed toads to 2015 Jeep wrangler 4 dr. Now the Jeep's brakes are applying to hard leaving the wheels covered in brake dust. Called Roadmaster and was told to install a pressure regulator in line between said cylinder and the brake away reservoir.
I believe this is the proper solution. Has anyone done this and if you have what pressure did you set the regulator to? If I have a good starting point I will fine tune it from there.
Thanks in advance and have a blessed Thanks Giving; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo
9 REPLIES 9

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Can't help but was wondering does your 2015 wrangler leak like sieve?
I just got a 2015 and get puddles of water every time it rains.

I have a 2000 with Hard top thatโ€™s leaks just as you have described. Above both doors.

I ordered a kit from Quadratec last week that has all the seals for above the doors
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:

I have a 2000 with Hard top thatโ€™s leaks just as you have described. Above both doors.

BigSkyBob13
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Roadmaster aux brakeing system several years ago on a new chevy pickup. Left home to snowbird but never unhooked the truck until I reached Vegas. Applied the brakes and the pedal went almost to the floor. Drove it about a block and the pedal went up and down when applying the brakes. Tore it down at my son's house in his shop and discovered the pads were worn through and the rotors were blue and warped from the heat created. Had to replace the pads and rotors on my new truck which kinda upset me GRRRR. The problem was whenever I used the exhaust brake on grades it also applied the toad brakes so after 1000 miles of this the brakes were ruined. Sold this piece of junk on ebay for less than half what I paid. Been using the M&G brake system for 8 years on 3 different trucks and it's been flawless and only takes 5 seconds to hook up. Good luck with yours.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Our's don't leak. Convenient excuse from a dealer.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, sent you a PM; Keith

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes mine is a hard top with the freedom panels. Funny my 2001 with a soft top never leaked.
My leaks are coming from on top of both front doors. I guess it's I common problem with them. When I told the service lady at jeep about the leaks she said "it's a jeep they all leak"
2015 Wrangler JKU

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I have a hard top with removable panels above the driver and passenger. We have been in driving rain where we had to pull off the road. No leaks, quiet to ride in with no wind whistle either. If you have a soft top I could understand some leakage, but not with a hard top. An idea for you to try and find the leaks in hard top would be to pressurize the interior cabin. The cabin is vented to the outside thru the rear door. If I remember correctly a one way flapper would have to be taped open to the position. Then hook up a shop vac with the hose coming off the exhaust giving pressure. Tape this hose to the vent behind and under th spare tire rack. Turn on the vac and pour soapy water over the jeep and look for bubbles. Now that you found the source of the leak fixing it is your problem. Only idea would be black silicone. Good luck.
Blessings; Keith

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Wrangler JKU

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and use a Brake Buddy. I have the pressure set at 45psi. This might be a starting point for you.

After getting equipment set up, you will probably need someone to ride in the Wrangler to observe how the braking device operates during various stops and make appropriate adjustments.

Good luck-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler