Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Convection Microwave vs. Gas Oven
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Convection Microwave vs. Gas Oven

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having both is nice....couldn’t live without the gas oven! In our class c, we have the oven and a conventional microwave. When/if the microwave goes bad, it will be replaced with a, wait for it........microwave!

* This post was edited 05/25/19 06:36am by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of our other RV's had a gas oven which we loved. Our current MH came with only a Microwave/Convection. Really, really miss the gas oven but love the extra storage in our small MH.

The bottom line is that we only use the convection oven when we are plugged into 120V. If we are boon-docking we may fire up the generator to use the Microwave for a few minutes but running the genny for 50 minutes to cook a pie or casserole is not practical for us.

It has changed our meal planning....have to plan ahead. Wish we had our gas oven back.

Everyone has different requirements....Microwave/convection only way work great for you.

justin34

Red Ban

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want in cheap, wait for Black Friday Sale

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally feel that a small rig with space limitations, a hanging combo unit gains you a slew full of much needed drawer space.

With our compact rig, we would not have this storage (more pictures here) if we had a conventional stove/oven unit.

[image]

Our stove top is under the Corian covers.
[image]

Our micro/convection combo unit is above the stove hood. A table top gas grille outside supplements well enough. But if you bake a lot, then a standard oven would be missed with our compact setup.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, just curious ... how's the noise and vibration levels of your built-in Onan? I don't think that I've ever heard you mention it.

We love our built-in Onan generator. Winnebago installed it right so it's not a problem to use it for short or long runs. We once ran it nearly all night for A/C so we could sleep when drycamping in the heat and humidity of the Deep South during the summer.

Having a usable built-in generator sure helps to make our Class C ready for anything anywhere anytime.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the convection microwave only. It cooks toast, cookies, and biscuits very well. We have Toshiba EC042A5C-SS Microwave reviewed by this resource

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Having a usable built-in generator sure helps to make our Class C ready for anything anywhere anytime."

X10

While we use our generator very little {4 KW with 84 hours after 7 years} having it built in and ready to fire up as needed is priceless. Our 2012 Nexus came with a Generac, in 2013 they switched to Onan. When I asked why they said their concerns were for the limited parts availability from Generic down the road.

Ours has been trouble free, two minor services in 7 years and happily there is a commercial generator sales and service outfit right here in Tucson {Simonson Generators} that has been great for parts and service.

Noise and vibration is minimal, about like my old Honda 2,000's and it burns half a gallon or less per hour. We spend at least 65 percent of our time off of the grid and with two deep cycle group 27's can easily sit for 3 or even 4 days and still have power. We just don't use much DC.

I recently replaced my old flooded house batteries at 5+ years old with a pair of AGM's which will generate a lot less maintenance {but no, they are not Maintenance free - no such animal exists}.

[emoticon]

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Ron, just curious ... how's the noise and vibration levels of your built-in Onan? I don't think that I've ever heard you mention it.
Our Onan is mounted under the floor right behind the driver seat. We get NO vibrations that I can recall and we sit right above it. I do store heavy items in the bench seat there which might neutralize what little vibration might get generated. Inside, the noise is acceptable when the window is closed on the driver side.

The only serious complaint my wife has with our convection microwave is the height it is mounted. She is 5'-2" and needs a stool to keep an eye on her cooking. She also said once or twice that she wishes it was a little bigger. Our convection/micro is smaller than the ones installed in more recent years.

* This post was edited 09/27/19 08:13pm by ron.dittmer *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Convection Microwave vs. Gas Oven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS