cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baltimore and Washington

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on heading south from Canada after the New Year and I pretty much have my route planned. One question I have and need some advice on is the best route through or around Baltimore. We like to stay on the Interstates but both the I-95 Fort McHenry tunnel and the
I-895, HarborTunnel Throughway warn me that LP tanks are prohibied.
Is there another route RVERS use.
Also is either beltway around Washington better than the other.

Thanks
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer
7 REPLIES 7

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
PierreBois wrote:

Is there another route RVERS use.

Yes, but it involves getting off the interstate. The often-used route from upstate NY to Fla. is to go south on I-81 to Harrisburg, Pa., then pick up US-15 through south Pa., Md. into Virginia. For the most part, Route 15 is divided, limited access with a 60 mph speed limit. It becomes 2 lane through rural Va. horse country. From 15 you take US 17 south to I-95 south of DC in Fredericksburg. Take I-295 around Richmond and you are good-to-go.
Using Route 15 avoids all congestion from Baltimore and DC, has one short bridge and no tunnels.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of ways to avoid the whole Baltimore Washington mess completely & retain some sanity while avoiding the area.

Both involve crossing 95 a little S of Wilmington, DE & either getting on 301 S across the Bay Bridge, no toll WB, keep following 301 S through Waldorf & on across the Potomac well S of DC & carry on to 95.

The other way is to follow 13 down the DELMARVA & cross the CBBT, an experience all by itself, to Virginia Beach to 58, nice ride, to 95 well S of Richmond. The CBBT is about 20 miles of bridge with 2 tunnels deep enough for tankers & carriers to go over your head.

Killens Pond SP, a little S of Dover, DE, open year round I think. Nice one 50amp & water. Kiptopeake SP, just N of CBBT, also year round.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I-81 is a decent alternative if winter weather is not a factor. However during the winter months I-81 can be a disaster at times
95 is closer to the coast a less susceptible to winter conditions.
113/13 down the DElMArVA coast is another alternate route that avoids city traffic.
If you do come through B-more. 695 west during non rush hour periods is fine.
695 East is OK but beware of winds restrictions on the Key Bridge if it windy that day.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely agree with DrewE on using I-81. When I go to New England that is the route I use. No cities except to go through Hartford and I know to get through there between 10AM and 3PM during the week. It is a little longer overall, but a much more peaceful drive and definitely less stressful.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure where you're heading from or to, so it may not be a possibility, but I prefer taking I-81 rather than I-95 through all the cities (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, D.C.). I-81 has no propane restrictions anywhere.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ALWAYS use 695 around the west side of Baltimore. We have grandkids in the area and stay at Aberdeen Proving Ground just north of Baltimore on I-95 a lot. Wife's mother lives in Richmond, so we use the loop around DC, too. Just make sure you're doing it in the middle of the day - preferably on a Sunday. On a weekday last week, it took my brother-in-law 6 hours to travel 150 miles from Baltimore to Richmond on 95 later in the afternoon because of traffic snarls, accidents and construction.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
695 east will take you over the Scot Key Bridge (toll), west 695 is longer but no tolls. Another route is pick up Rt 301 in Delaware and follow that and you can end up at the exit 104 in Va. at 95 There are some traffic lights in areas on this route but this is my chosen route when heading south.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.