cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Island to Nashville

CJR
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to Nashville in April. Does anyone have any suggestions on campgrounds in the Nashville area and a place to stop about midway (maybe a little further than midway). Probably taking I81 to I40. Thinking of Roanoke or Bristol but open to suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

CJR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your input so far. At this point I think we narrowed it down to safe harbor rv resort. Any one have a recommendation on preferred site or information that might be good to consider.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's some nice CGs in SW Virginia. Mount Rogers area, Big Stone Gap (Natural Tunnel SP, Jessie Lea CG). While we don't know how much time you have, if you can I'd stop twice before Nashville just to take in the scenery.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Route I was wondering about was your first 100 miles, because as you surely know, thereโ€™s some rough routes out of NY. I didnโ€™t know if you were coming out GW Bridge, or maybe thru Staten Island. Either way I was going to suggest a 4-5 AM departure
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Shenandoah Valley campground in Verona, VA on the way down to Nashville and stayed at the Nashville KOA in Nashville. Have fun.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Safe Harbor looks very nice and it's not that far out of downtown. Wait until after the morning rush hour to go into town, still no match for NYC traffic I imagine. A must see is the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson. The museum is very interesting as is the home tour.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
When in Nashville my favorite place to stay is Seven Points Campground on Percy Priest Lake, a COE.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
That's 440 miles a day, more or less, leading me to proclaim you are more of a man than I am. I try to make it no more than 300 miles a day if I can help it. But to each his/her own.

There aren't campgrounds near Roanoke along I-81 that warrant a visit, although there are some a bit north, which is closer to halfway anyways. Since you are planning long days driving anyway, you'll want places very close indeed to I-81. You might consider Glen Maury Park in Buena Vista, which is a small city park campground. You might also consider the Yogi Bear Campground in Natural Bridge.

CJR
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above thinking 81 to 40 will b leaving about 4 am Friday before Easter thanks for the answers so far wife was thinking safe Harbor by Nashville

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Do u have a planned driving route and approximate time of departure? Both would affect my recommendations
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Using the Good Sam trip planner, from NYC to Nashville is 883 miles. Wow, you plan on one overnight stop? That's some long days driving, then again I'm old and retired so I have the luxury to take my time.

Do the Good Sam trip planner and see what CG's might suit your needs. Plenty of options. As far as Nashville goes we have stayed at Yogi Bears Jellystone just off the Briley Parkway on Music Valley Drive. Then right next door is 2 rivers CG, both are nice campgrounds and the closest to downtown. Camping World is just up the road too.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Decent CG in VA (Wytheville) just over the hill/past the Flying J. Ran about 40/nite for full hook up.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"