cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Same Travel Trailer...new or used? Worth the warranty?

Kfloamy
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at 2 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL trailers today. One is a new 2018 model for $17983. The other is a used 2017 for $14990. They are basically identical trailers as far as features. The 2017 is in excellent shape...I don't know that I would have even known it was used if he hadn't told me when we looked at it.

Obviously the 2017 doesn't come with a warranty while the 2018 would. Granted, I have no way of knowing whether the 2017 has any invisible issues, but it doesn't appear to. The dealer that has them is one of, if not the, highest rated dealerships in my state...so I don't think they would sell something that was jacked up. Is it worth the $3000 to buy the new trailer and have a factory warranty?
25 REPLIES 25

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
See if they would put you in touch with the prior owner so you can query them about its history. Never hurts to ask.
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
well to me a big part is are you a capable DIYer? If you can work on it yourself with confidence I would by the used after a very comprehensive PDI, take the dealers word for NOTHING.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NotSoStellar
Explorer
Explorer
If I had it to do all over again I would for sure buy a used one, not a new one. You will buy a new one, find something wrong with it the first weekend, and then the service department will keep it until the warranty is up.

If you get a year or two old one, then you will get one that already has everything fixed.

On my Eclipse Stellar toy hauler, just off the top of my head, I had the fridge not work, the water heater not work, the regular heater not work, the roof leaked horribly, the kitchen sink drain leaked, the toilet leaked....oh and overflowed, the shower also leaked.... and on and on....AND IT WAS BRAND NEW!

Don't waste the extra money on a new one and DO NOT BUY AN TRAILER MADE BY ECLIPSE RECREATIONAL VEHICLES!!

I was so mad I made a whole website about my Stellar toy hauler, I called it http://notsostellareclipse.com

Good luck and seriously, if I had it to do over again I would buy a used one.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
As soon as you tow the 18 off the lot it too will be worth $3000 less. Get the 17.

Best response yet.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just traded in a 2012 TT that I bought new for $14,500. The dealership I traded it in at gave me $6,000 for it. I cleaned it and left a bunch of additions that I would not need in my new trailer (Towel holders, Storage improvements, new curtains, new LED TV, Privacy curtains for the bunk bed area, new sink fixtures, Storage rail in front storage compartment, New LED lights throughout, newer group 31 battery, all Manuals in a binder).

The dealership had it advertised on their website for $10,500. There is plenty of negotiation room on almost every used trailer. A minimum of a couple thousand would be the rule, not the exception. If they can't get that much room on the trade in, they usually send them to auction.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kfloamy wrote:
Most recommended RV extended warranties?
Source of an RV Tech to examine it?

Extended warranties are pure profit. Put the money in a savings account and 99% of the time you will come out ahead.

Call around to RV repair places and ask about inspections. Make sure to have them list what they are checking. Key items:
- Run everything
- Checking for leaks
- Ideally be present and ask a lot of questions. If something doesn't look right ask about it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
x3 on the mobile tech inspection and I would be there when he did it. I Promise you that they did not give the people that traded that camper in what they are asking for. More likely about another $1000-$2000 to be negotiated there.

Make them and offer of $5000 under the new 2018 trailers price and tell them you are going to buy an extended warranty through an outside company and have to pay an RV tech to make sure your not buying a lemon someone traded in.

I'll bet they either accept your offer or counter with something $1000 under the current offer.

X2-- GOOD ADVICE-- I second it!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

Kfloamy
Explorer
Explorer
Most recommended RV extended warranties?
Source of an RV Tech to examine it?

Getting them to do a 60-90 warranty would be meaningless because the trailer won't be used for the next 60-90 days since winter is coming. Trailer will probably not be used until late March.

Thanks for all input!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
x3 on the mobile tech inspection and I would be there when he did it. I Promise you that they did not give the people that traded that camper in what they are asking for. More likely about another $1000-$2000 to be negotiated there.

Make them and offer of $5000 under the new 2018 trailers price and tell them you are going to buy an extended warranty through an outside company and have to pay an RV tech to make sure your not buying a lemon someone traded in.

I'll bet they either accept your offer or counter with something $1000 under the current offer.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Could the used one (2017) be a repo?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as you tow the 18 off the lot it too will be worth $3000 less. Get the 17.

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
If you feel you need a warranty buy one. You can get one from Good Sam or Coach Net. That will cover major items and give you piece of mind.
Good Luck
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
A. The used one was traded in because they didn't have time to use it or they decided it was the wrong camper for them.

B. The used one was traded in because it was a total POS lemon and they wanted out.

Either way they took a bath on the trade in and the dealer probably has more room to move on the price of the used one. Is it possible to talk to the previous owners or see the service records?