cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood water heater

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a water leak that seems to be coming from my gas w/electric ignition start, Atwood-model GC10A water heater. The connections are not leaking. I am wondering if it's the tank itself? It's a 2002 fifth wheel, not sure if the tank is original?

I just contacted Atwood via e-mail, but thought I'd try here to see if anyone has had this issue and solved the problem.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You listed model as GC10A

ALL GC10A (1E, 2E and 3E) are the same.....4E is the newest model but come out in 2004

So how about a Picture of backside of WH Tank so clear up what you have??????????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the model # is 94113093236. Dimensions are 13x11x10. The ports are on the ends of the tank so it lays down. The pictures I see are the ports are on the side and stand up. So this has me a bit worried as that's my wife's side and she may loose the drawer.

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking pinhole or perhaps hard water deposits have let something loose and needs tightening. But as stated, I cannot find any connections leaking. I need to pull the tank as I have just drained it.

Would welding be useful or just buy a new tank. I am not a welder by trade and not sure of the cost pros and cons.

Thanks again everyone. Keep the greasy side down.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Sounds like the tank has a pinhole in it. Time to replace. I'd get a Dometic should be basically drop in.

Dometic IS Atwood.....Acquired them last year
Atwood Part Numbers

OP....can you ID exactly where it is leaking?
Tank is aluminum---it can be welded to fix a leak

Wrap top and bottom water fittings with Toilet Paper and see if either gets wet.

Place some TP around bottom area ...check for wetness

Place some under drain plug in outside compartment and check for wetness

GC10A.......combo gas/electric so remove cover on backside of WH Tank where electric element is installed and use TP to check for wetness

TP will show a leak very quickly

What is rest of model number?
GC10A-XX

GC10A-1E, GC10-2E & GC10A-3E all use same replacement tank
Atwood 93953 ($265 if you shop around)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had trouble (and so have others) with the welding on the tank where the hot water comes out the bottom ( the exit nipple). I pulled mine out and cleaned and rewelded it. The reason there is a problem is quality control. The welder doing the welding did not stop and clean the slag off before completing the final connecting of the weld to itself. I used to be a certified welder for almost 40 years , so I know what causes it. It doesn't initially leak but after a while it will start a slow leak. This was on my previous 5th wheel not my current one.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the tank has a pinhole in it. Time to replace. I'd get a Dometic should be basically drop in.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB