cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel hitch

Sammieb
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if I should upgrade my 16k hitch I am upgrading my fifth wheel from a 12k gross to a 16k gross weight any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re not going to exceed the rating ( or just slightly exceed), and are โ€œsatisfied โ€œ with your present hitch.....keep it. The hitches will handle well above their listed rating....for liability reasons. Most any engineered product ( by a reputable company) has some room, above itโ€™s rating!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
what kind of hitch are you looking for? I started with a Demco non slider and still have it but I upgraded to a slider when i got my new trailer that was heavier. Now the old one is sitting in my garage.

Pretty much a mirror image here too. Started off w/ a Reese 16k w/ old coach (max GVW of 13,800) and when we got the new coach (max GVW of 16,000), wanted something w/ more heft to it, so went with a B&W Patriot. The Reese sits in shed.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
what kind of hitch are you looking for? I started with a Demco non slider and still have it but I upgraded to a slider when i got my new trailer that was heavier. Now the old one is sitting in my garage.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When something is "RATED" it simply does not grenade when it hits 1# over it's rating.

If you are happy with your hitch leave well enough alone!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Are you planning on maxing out the new 5er. Whats the dry weight and how much stuff are you putting in it. GVWR is only relevant if you reach it.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't say what hitch you have, or if you are happy with the current hitch. If there is something you don't like about the current one, now is a good time to get a better one. I would trust most hitches to their assigned rating.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
New trailer GVWR 16K

Current hitch rated for 16K......

Nothing inherently unsafe about using equipment at its rating
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Mark Twain....

When I towed fifth wheels, I always had more capacity hitch than needed. My preference.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Sammieb wrote:
I am not sure if I should upgrade my 16k hitch I am upgrading my fifth wheel from a 12k gross to a 16k gross weight any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

Yes, upgrade. Better to have to much towing capacity for safety reasons.