cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10w solar panel problem

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Have had a 125w panel on my camper for 12 years. Just put camper on its jacks after traveling. Noticed a couple of days later that battery voltage down. Looked at controller and no charging happening.

Remembered I had a new 10w panel (Voc=21.76) in the garage. Hooked it up direct to battery with no controller late afternoon. Battery was 12.4v before connecting panel. Next morning, with hazy sun on panel, battery was 12.1v. Disconnected panel from battery and voltage went up to 12.2v.

Output of disconnected panel was around 10v. I know I saw 18v from disconnected panel when checking polarity before wiring everything up. The panel is intended exactly for what I'm trying to do. I also did the same thing with another 7w panel on my boat for years.

Is it possible to damage a panel by shorting the 2 output leads together? Was the panel draining the battery w/o any sun on it? There is no mention in the panel description of a blocking diode, but also no mention of needing one or a controller.

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
5 REPLIES 5

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Good job!!
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Worldโ€™s best fix: wiggle a wire. Connectors collect dust and corrosion with time that eventually degrades the connection. Itโ€™s good to hear that you found the problem and fixed it. May it remain fixed for another dozen year.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad it was an easy fix!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like that's what is happening. However, looking at panel specs closer it shows a picture with a note that a "bypass diode" is in the junction box. Maybe they misnamed it and should have said "blocking". I read where the 2 function differently. Also, maybe they left it out. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll have to open the junction box and check.

Anyway, all this is now moot, since I found the problem with my roof panel. I got out my ladder and was able to unplug the panel from the receptacle in the fridge vent. Measured 18v with cloudy sky. Plugged it back in tightly and "eureka" my controller now shows charging going on! Guess 120K+ miles of travel wiggled it loose. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was reluctant to get up on the ladder to start with due to my advanced age. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you hook up direct to the battery without a diode then the battery will discharge into the panel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.