cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide left out during first snow

anniez
Explorer
Explorer
We have been having problems getting our camper winterized this year. First time doing it ourselves and the valve that is supposed to allow the antifreeze into the system is either not there or not working.

I drained all the water from the water heater, the low point drains, but can't get the pump to run. Antifreeze in the pee traps. To access the water pump, we had to have the slide out.

Long story short, temperatures have dropped and we got about 3 inches of snow last night.

We swept all the snow off the top of the slide, but are concerned if we put it in, then the moisture inside the trailer will be an issue.

Any ideas on what the best thing to do is with the slide? We will have to wait and deal with the water pump come spring.
12 REPLIES 12

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I fully agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^ --- get to it NOW
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
I would not put the water pump off till spring. Any water lines or components like pumps, faucets and valves that are not purged of water and filled or rinsed with potable antifreeze are at risk of splitting open when the water freezes. Low point drains do not necessarily drain all of the water out of everything. I blow out the lines with compressed air, then run antifreeze through them all, then blow the antifreeze out with compressed air to minimize after taste from the antifreeze in the spring. A gallon or two of RV antifreeze is a bargain compared to the cost of repairing any freeze damage.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
First off. Right at the water pump there should be a hose and a valve. Turn the valve, stick the hose end in the jug of AF. Be sure the valves behind the water heater are set to bypass. Turn on the water pump and go inside and open one faucet at a time until you see pink.
As for closing the slides? As long as the snow is brushed off the slide room roof, close it up. No big deal.

Only thing your forgot is...start at the farthest tap from the pump and work back. and don't forget the outside shower if it has one... Dump the black tank and grey tank and add a spritz of RV red in each too.

Takes just a gallon with mine.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
another reason to be sure RV is usable with some/all of the slides in.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
As posted Snow ain't no thang

Rained....temps dropped so it turned to 1/2" sheet of ice then it snowed for 2 days
Packing up to go to next destination I brushed the snow off slide roofs (3) then had to use water hose to melt ice cap on the roofs then towel off the tops/sides after slides were retracted.

Wipers on slide did a pretty good job of sweeping the top/sides as the slides were retracted so not a lot of moisture to towel off
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for the towel if you have any concerns. I have wiped ours down after the slide was in.

Now if the snow melts and forms a 3" sheet of solid ice you may have some issues. BTDT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
There will be a slight amount of water on the top of the slide which you can wipe down with a towel once it melts. Ain't no thang.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Easier to keep the coach warm with the slide in

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Close the slide and forget about it...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
no different than closing the slide while it is raining.
bumpy

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Close the slides, but also run the furnace for a day or two to dry everything. Then you should be ok.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
First off. Right at the water pump there should be a hose and a valve. Turn the valve, stick the hose end in the jug of AF. Be sure the valves behind the water heater are set to bypass. Turn on the water pump and go inside and open one faucet at a time until you see pink.
As for closing the slides? As long as the snow is brushed off the slide room roof, close it up. No big deal.