Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold Weather Warm Up

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Cold weather warm up time. This morning at 4 a.m. I went out, started the generator, plugged in the block heater and two electric heaters, and turned on the furnace. The ambient temperature was -18 C (0 F). Heat input to my 28 foot class C was about 25000 BTU's between the furnace and electric heaters. In 30 minutes, the interior temperature had risen to -10 C (14 f). As a side light, the Yamaha 2800 sIEB took several tries before it started. It took its time before it provided AC power to the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

There is, I believe, one "dual fan speed" furnace for RV's.

I did a heat loss study a few years back (11/14/11) and found that the energy need to keep up with heat loss did not exceed the output of a 20,000 btu furnace. Going "BIG" is only going to be useful for quicker warm up in a cold soaked RV.

I found my results:

I've been busy over the last six months making modifications to my Class C to improve heat loss and prevent fresh water line freeze ups.

My "back yard" experiments results suggested about 430 Btu's per 1 degree C (1.8 f) delta T, or about 126 watts of heating.

Our first cold weather arrived on the weekend (11/14/11) and here are the results, after the upgrades:

968 watts =~3304 btu's 18 C (32 f Delta T) above ambient, 183.6 btu's per degree and 53.8 watts per degree.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Phil,

I think you could special order the largest furnace available. But oversize may lead to rapid cycling. The duct work might need a (difficult) upgrade for the larger size to cycle normally.

The only time having a bigger furnace would help is when warming up from stone bone cold. That is an unusual occurrence.

There is a hotel next door to my apartment condo, so I may ask if I can park and plug in, for a fee, in the future.

In the last year I've filled the propane tank twice. Mostly used for running the fridge. The tank is fairly small.

Don .... aren't the more BTU's the better in an RV's propane furnace when talking about drycamping in 0 degree and below outside temperatures?

When push comes to shove, I'll take quick-propane-furnace-cycling any day over on-all-the-time operation in super cold weather -> with the RV's occupants maybe still sitting around nearly freezing because their furnace's base BTU capacity is too small.

I guess what the RV world needs are automatic variable output propane furnaces (like our stick house heat pump) so one can enjoy a large capacity RV propane furnace that handles any cold condition anytime in their RV while at the same time having the furnace adapt automatically to how much it needs to cycle ON/OFF versus quality of RV insulation versus outside temperatures any given time, place, or season.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
20 to 72 is a whole bunch smaller than -4 f to 72 f, and you have at least twice the btu's to do the job.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My gas truck has pulled away in less than 20 seconds at 0F.
I guess everything has its limitations.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Both furnaces come on and from 20 F to 72F in about 20minutes
One good thing about the furnaces they heat the floors so feet are nice and toasty.
Warming the engine is another matter it will never show warm and takes the Cat 15 minutes on fast idle to pull away.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

I think you could special order the largest furnace available. But oversize may lead to rapid cycling. The duct work might need a (difficult) upgrade for the larger size to cycle normally.

The only time having a bigger furnace would help is when warming up from stone bone cold. That is an unusual occurrence.

There is a hotel next door to my apartment condo, so I may ask if I can park and plug in, for a fee, in the future.

In the last year I've filled the propane tank twice. Mostly used for running the fridge. The tank is fairly small.
Regards, Don

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Donn0128,

I can get it to 25 C (77 F) on 100% electric heat when it is -37 c (-34 f). My RV is NOT stock. I do need 7100 watts (peak) to do so.

Don,

I'm throwing down the cubic foot of interior volume versus heating BTU gauntlet: Since the prime secret to comfortable stock mobile box to cold weather camping is - a small as possible stock box with a large as possible stock propane furnace - what is the smallest Class C available that comes stock with the highest BTU propane furnace?

My 24 footer is probably only middle of the road with it's 25K BTU furnace. I know there must be better ratios out there. What are they?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
You guys with those bone skinny women need to turn the fire up at night.
I travel with 2 good ol big-ens. They keep me warm in the winter and cast a large shadow for me to sit in, in the summer. Life is good!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Tonight when im freezing in socal im gonna remember this post and think "suck it up buttercup!!!!"

For you manly men who live in colder climates, whats a comfortable interior temp for just hanging out at night inside your trailer?

If I was alone, 60-65 degrees.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 1 degree (+) C I am comfortable in my 37' 3 slide with 3 750 watt heaters I'd have to do an "F"=C conversion to give you C let's see 22 degrees C if I did the math right (about 72F) Did math the old fashion way (In my head).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi wopachop,

I aim at 20 c (68 f) but as I get older I find I'm more comfortable at 22 C (71.6 f).

The rv is back in storage. I may go over on Thursday as it is supposed to be well above freezing. If it is, I can try to dry the seals on the exterior compartments.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Eighteen Degrees Celsius. Indigenous campfire in teepee Fifteen degrees celsius, White man canpfire Three hundred celsius frontside, five degrees backside

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Tonight when im freezing in socal im gonna remember this post and think "suck it up buttercup!!!!"

For you manly men who live in colder climates, whats a comfortable interior temp for just hanging out at night inside your trailer?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Place 8' distant from nearest RV surface to blow UNDER the rig.

I used to pre-heat an older 30' Nashua that I used as a workshop rebuilding trailer at 7,000 ft altitude.

This is a propane electric blower heater. 100,000 BTU

Starting at -18F, ten minutes of operation had the inside of the rig at 60 degrees F and rising rapidly. Would defrost everything. The skirting effect of the bottom of the trailer captured all the heat. Use your hand against the surface to verify no overheating.

The outside surfaces cooled down rapidly. A second shot would rise inside temperature to over 100F. Only then would I light off a 20,000 BTU vented heater which was eventually replaced with an 8,000 BTU catalyst heater.

I eventually got smart and ended up in NO BTU NEEDED LAND