cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior lighting dimming intermittently

Magman57
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed my interior lights would dim and after a whole they would brighten antd the fan in the power supply box would come on. Something is not right. Ideas?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
7 REPLIES 7

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
When on shore power converter supplies DC System and maintains battery voltage which should have much draw due to converter supplying DC System

Disconnect POS Cable on battery (Or on DC Dist Panel)
Measure Converter DC output...should be 13.2V DC Minimum.
Any lower converter failing
DC Output fluctuating/not steady....converter failing

IF converter checks out...measure battery cells using hydrometer OR take battery ato any auto parts place and have it load tested

Yup.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
A good converter never 'turns off', just slows down the charge rate. Voltage should stay up even if the battery is getting old. His converter is bad. Battery is probably maimed also from being poorly charged by the dying converter. New converter first. That should fix the dimming, then new battery/s if it goes dead too quickly when unplugged.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When on shore power converter supplies DC System and maintains battery voltage which should have much draw due to converter supplying DC System

Disconnect POS Cable on battery (Or on DC Dist Panel)
Measure Converter DC output...should be 13.2V DC Minimum.
Any lower converter failing
DC Output fluctuating/not steady....converter failing

IF converter checks out...measure battery cells using hydrometer OR take battery ato any auto parts place and have it load tested
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Funny thing; I thought it was classic signs of a bad battery. The converter would charge it up and the lights would come on bright. Then the converter would stop charging because the battery was fully charged but the battery could not HOLD the charge and the lights would dim. But what do I know?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Absolute classic sign of a dying converter - but get your battery checked first.