cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
It's time for me to start bugging you kind folks again. The DW and I plan to try for Alaska this summer, and hope to spend some time in the Banff to Jasper area on the way. It's hard to narrow down the things we want to do, but we need to in order to have time to see Alaska, too. I'm thinking about 6 nights total in that area. I have a list of things we want to do in each general area:
5 in Banff
6 in Lake Louise
4 in Jasper
Does it make more sense to stay in Banff (I'm thinking Tunnel Mountain Trailer Park) for 4 nights and do all the driving to LL or 2 nights in Banff and 2 in LL. We do plan to do 2 nights in Jasper at the end. It seems that for everything we want to do in LL we need to be there early before parking lots fill up. I can see distances on a map, but I'm not sure how that translates into driving time in late July. I hope to make reservations for all areas as soon as the reservation system opens up in Jan. We hope to get at least electric sites if not more. Anyway, if anyone has an opinion, I welcome it.
TIA
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?
34 REPLIES 34

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
canadafan wrote:
Johnson Canyon is reservable and you will need to do this as it can get VERY busy in July/August.
Also beware the sites here are also near the railway and the Bow Valley Parkway.
If you want somewhere quieter (further away from the railway) go a bit further north to Castle Mountain CG, the disadvantage here is that it does not take reservations.

In case anyone is thinking about Johnston Canyon campground, here is a quote from the reservation site:

Due to ongoing construction to replace and upgrade underground services, Johnston Canyon Campground is not expected to open in 2019. Please check the Banff National Park Camping website for the most up to date information.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Just secured all of our spots for this summer. Great thread! Subscribed to refer back to some of the info and anything new that is added!

Have a great trip!

Thanks, Tony. I hope you and your family have a great trip also. We did get our Banff reservations. I was at the keyboard ready for the opening. I hit enter, and my world came to a stand still. There must have been so many people trying to reserve sites at the same time, the reservation system was overwhelmed. I kept getting system error messages, and had to log in and select sites again. Finally, after half an hour, I was able to reserve a site (not the one we had hoped for, but good enough). What a hassle. For Jasper, we found as you said, no electric sites available. Not wanting to run the generator that much, we chose to reserve at the KOA Hinton, and just drive more for a couple of days.
We plan to be there late July, on our way to Alaska. Again, we hope your family has a great trip. Planning it is half the fun. I have enjoyed your trip reports and YouTube videos.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Just secured all of our spots for this summer. Great thread! Subscribed to refer back to some of the info and anything new that is added!

Have a great trip!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I know we will not have enough time, but it is what it is. Perhaps we can come again when this area can be the only agenda. Too many things to see, too few years.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info on Banff so I will stick to the jasper end. We usually camp there one weekend each spring and I have been trying to see new sites each time and not repeat some of the classic. In my opinion malign lake is not worth the drive. It will take you the better part of half a day to just get out there and back. Last summer we hiked old fort point and valley of the five lakes. They were both great. We really loved the valley of the five lakes. Edith Cavell was closed the last few summers, so not sure if they will be open.
We love the whistlers campground in jasper, but sadly it is closed this summer to log out all the pine beetle killed trees. Wabasso is great but a bit further from town (20 minutes) and only loop D is powered. I have heard good things about wapiti, but haven’t been there. I prefer mountain campgrounds that are farely open, so I can enjoy the view.
If doing the jasper tram the tickets are sold for specific time slots. You can buy the tickets online and then just head up for your scheduled “flight”. For parking in the jasper townsite there is an RV lot that you can access from highway 16 halfway through town that is open for cars also. It is on the opposite side of the train tracts, but has a pedestrian underpass and it takes you to the main part of the little downtown. Much quicker then Fighting for street side parking.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are time-limited in Jasper, I would highly recommend getting an early start on your full day there. First, drive north to Pyramid Lake for "golden hour" photos of the lake and Pyramid Peak. Then drive SE to Maligne Canyon because the sun needs to be higher to get good photos in the very narrow gorge. I like Maligne Lake, but it is a very long round-trip drive, so I would reserve it for another trip (you will want to come back!).

Summer days in Jasper are very long, so in the PM, I would drive up Mount Edith Cavelle instead of taking the Skytram. Great views, nice short hike, fun road (if you don't mind switchbacks). Then drive the old highway south to Athabaska Falls (if you didn't stop there on your way into Jasper) for late PM golden hour photos of the waterfall and several easy hikes. Now it's time to head back to the campground for a big dinner--you will be hungry after all that hiking and fresh air!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Trigley. Yes, that is all good info.

Old Fort- good catch. I should have had that under Jasper.
I'm thinking we may be able to drop off one overnight (Alaska keeps calling). It sounds like maybe 3 nights in Tunnel campground and 2 nights in Jasper area might be sufficient. The hiking is weather and "do we feel like it" dependent, so that can change by the day. I was leaning toward the Jasper cable car, but listed all 3 in case of weather problems (we won't do more than 1).
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Any further thoughts would certainly be welcome.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Good job on highlights. I know only too well what you mean by age issues.
Southern End- Do you mean the Old Fort Trail at Jasper. I'm not familiar with one at Banff. 2,3, & 4 or 6 could easily be done in one day. My preference would be the Jasper cable car, if only doing one, as it is more open up top. Johnson's canyon is on the old road to Lake Louise, but doing it while travelling would really curtail other activities.
Middle- 3 & 4 plus a visit to Emerald Lake & the natural bridge would make a nice day trip. There is, or was, a salt lick in the Natural Bridge area that wildlife frequented.
There are 2 tea houses. Lake Agnes and Plain of 6 Glaciers. 6G is a much longer trail starting with the lake walk (flat) then climbing. I think 13-14 Km round trip. LA probably about half of that, steep but nothing technical at all on either. From the shore of LL in front of the chateau look up to your right, 1-2 o'clock and you should see the roof of the LA tea house in a mountain
valley.
I'm not sure how much parking there is at the Paradise Valley trail head. You may need to arrive early. Also check with the rangers as they may require groups of 5-6 on that trail.
5&6 you will visit while going to Jasper.
North end - 3 & Old Fort Point and Jasper Park Lodge area would be a nice day. 1,2 & 4 another day. There is some easy hiking around Angel Glacier which I recall being quite pleasant.
If you are in Banff around dusk and not too exhausted from your days activities maybe head down to the Vermilion Lakes ares just west of town. You might spot some wildlife as they tend to emerge around dusk.
Hope this is some benefit.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the individual, are you content to drive up and see the art gallery or would you prefer to go inside and view the paintings.
In my opinion the Takakkaw Falls, Emerald Lake area is a must. Also the Lake Agnes Trail and Plain of Six Glacier trail from Lake Louise
both far exceed the Lakeside Trail. The Larch Valley, Sentinel Pass Trail from Moraine Lake is my favorite but sometimes must be done in groups because of bear activity. These are moderate well used trails, I wouldn't call them back country. There are others as well.
I understand the issue of where to park the trailer but unless you are partial to resort towns (Banff) I wouldn't short my time in the Lake Louise area even if it does mean driving back and forth. To my thinking the fact there is limited development just makes it that much better.
If you are not into moderate hiking the Lake Louise Ski lift opens in the summer.

Hopefully this isn't too much information. I've read a number of trip reports, etc and listed the things we would like to do or possibly like to do:

Want to Do:
Southern End (Banff)
1. Hike Old Fort Point
2. Gondola ride?
3. Bow Falls
4. Lake Minnewanka
5. Drive Bow Valley Parkway (Hwy 1a) toward Lake Louise
a. Johnson’s Canyon- hike to waterfalls

Middle (Lake Louise)
1. Lake Louise
a. Hike along side the lake
b. Hike to tea house?
2. Moraine Lake
a. Hike to the left around the big rock pile
b. Hike up to Paradise Valley- can turn around at the saddle point
3. Spiral Tunnel (Yoho)
4. Takkakaw Falls (Yoho)
5. Peyto Lake
6. Columbia Icefields

North End (Jasper)
1. Mount Edith Cavel- Angel Glacier?
2. Jasper Sky Tram
3. Maligne Lake and canyon
4. Athabasca Falls

My DW and I like to hike, but don't go as far and as high as we used to due to physical limitations that have come with age and body part replacements 😉
We would like to stay longer, but still have Alaska to do after this, and don't have an unlimited amount of time (DW says she already misses the grandkids and we haven't even left yet). We are open to further comments, and certainly do appreciate all of the input you kind folks have contributed.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
We drove it going to Johnson Falls which you should visit. I don't know what you plan to spend multiple days doing at Lake Louise tho. The trail around the lake takes a few hours unless you head up into the back country where you could spend weeks. Other than that there is the hotel and a few small shops. If you have extra days drive up the Icefield Pkwy and see some of that.

I think you got it. Our intention was a day at Lake Louise, a day at Moraine Lake, and a trip west to see the spiral tunnels and Takkakaw Falls. Maybe we don't need all that time. Then head up the Icefield Pkwy and a couple of nights in Jasper. I am leaning more toward staying at Banff instead of moving to LL. I guess we'll deal with what we have which ever way we plan it. In any case, I need to decide within a month to hit the reservation window opening.
Thanks again to all who responded.

I think it depends on the individual, are you content to drive up and see the art gallery or would you prefer to go inside and view the paintings.
In my opinion the Takakkaw Falls, Emerald Lake area is a must. Also the Lake Agnes Trail and Plain of Six Glacier trail from Lake Louise
both far exceed the Lakeside Trail. The Larch Valley, Sentinel Pass Trail from Moraine Lake is my favorite but sometimes must be done in groups because of bear activity. These are moderate well used trails, I wouldn't call them back country. There are others as well.
I understand the issue of where to park the trailer but unless you are partial to resort towns (Banff) I wouldn't short my time in the Lake Louise area even if it does mean driving back and forth. To my thinking the fact there is limited development just makes it that much better.
If you are not into moderate hiking the Lake Louise Ski lift opens in the summer.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was even less to do at Moraine Lake tho we did not walk the trail. We did both LL and Moraine the same day.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
We drove it going to Johnson Falls which you should visit. I don't know what you plan to spend multiple days doing at Lake Louise tho. The trail around the lake takes a few hours unless you head up into the back country where you could spend weeks. Other than that there is the hotel and a few small shops. If you have extra days drive up the Icefield Pkwy and see some of that.

I think you got it. Our intention was a day at Lake Louise, a day at Moraine Lake, and a trip west to see the spiral tunnels and Takkakaw Falls. Maybe we don't need all that time. Then head up the Icefield Pkwy and a couple of nights in Jasper. I am leaning more toward staying at Banff instead of moving to LL. I guess we'll deal with what we have which ever way we plan it. In any case, I need to decide within a month to hit the reservation window opening.
Thanks again to all who responded.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
We were there in July and the road between Banff and LL is a 4 lane highway and had minimal traffic. Once you get to the LL parking lot you'll hit the traffic jam. The roads close to LL are busy but were not blocked with traffic before then. But on the other hand the overflow camping area, which is on the side of that 4 lane road, was just about empty when we were there and someone reported it as being full above. That might depend on the time of week and it might fill up later in the day. From the distance it just looked like a parking lot to me.

Sorry but you ( and most other posters here) missed the best. Highway 1A (Bow River Parkway) is by far the most scenic way (and the best chances to see wildlife) between Banff and lake Louise.
Oh well - that leaves less traffic for those of us who use it!!
Thanks.
ex Banff N.P. Park Warden

We will definitely drive Highway 1A, but probably not every trip to LL.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604